Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Indeed, quality sights can run you have the cost of your gun so do a little homework. A shotgun is also not a precision weapon so you can cut corners if you can’t qualify the cost. At worst they sell kits to paint your sights. Point is to be able to quickly get a round on target with a fair level of accuracy even in shitty light. Forget what they’re called but they also have sleeves that go over the stick that hold 5 or 6 shells. They’re cheap, so get one of those too. 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry fells, going to have to flex on you motherfuckers...    

Finished:   It finished a little different than I expected, but mostly due to me wanting to finish/cost: aero 16" barrel with 15" s-one atlas handguard bravo company

Yo. I hate to be that guy, but the first time I ever fired a shotgun, I shot it off in the house on accident. I blew a hole through my wifes dresser and shredded all her clothes in that drawer. Two th

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Read up on the four basic rules of firearm safety. Until you can rattle them off by memory, don’t handle that gun. 

I grew up around guns and hunting and am well versed in firearm safety.

• Like 1

Yo. I hate to be that guy, but the first time I ever fired a shotgun, I shot it off in the house on accident. I blew a hole through my wifes dresser and shredded all her clothes in that drawer. Two things I didnt expect; it wasnt as loud as I thought it would be, and I fired it one handed like a gangster and the kick wasnt as hard as I thought it would be.

• LOL! 5

For shame, @mr.yuck

@Dirty_habiT imo, optics for a home defense shot gun, maybe shotguns in general, are unnecessary.  When you get to the range get an idea of what your single shot spread looks like at different ranges in 5 foot increments starting  at about 5 foot off. And I wholly  second raven's suggestion for a pressure switch on your light.  

Depending on where you are shooting, take some pieces of drywall scrap and have a variety of rounds to get an understanding of what it's going to do in your home. I keep turkey shot in my quick grab home defense weapon. I don't  know if you live in a house with close neighbors or an apartment, but understanding what happens to your round after potentially leaving through your exterior walls goes back to the four basic rules. You don't need slugs or 00 buck to stop a toilet paper thief. 

Re: cleaning. A Bore snake a must own item, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

@Fist 666- good idea on the drywall scrap. 

I'm going to buy the things necessary to clean the shotgun.  I also found a barrel/magazine clip with a rail attachment:

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/mxt-extension-nut-mossberg-shotguns/

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/new-nc-mxt-shotgun-extension-complete-assembly-12ga/

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/heavy-wall-mossberg-barrel-clamp-picatinny-rail-12ga/

Probably won't get a site for this shotgun.  I'm more interested in it carrying more shells and having a flashlight on it.  I realize I could google, but on the lights.... what is the difference between pressure switch and ________?

XS Sights makes some pretty neato sights for quick acquisition which comes in handy if you are ever in a self defense scenario.  They are not the most accurate for range, but I have them on my two carry pistols and they make em for shotguns too. 

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8267

image.thumb.png.785803d7a451a0b237b6c1773956e69f.png

For a mossberg ^ (will vary on your stock sight mounting) 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

For shame, @mr.yuck

@Dirty_habiT imo, optics for a home defense shot gun, maybe shotguns in general, are unnecessary.  When you get to the range get an idea of what your single shot spread looks like at different ranges in 5 foot increments starting  at about 5 foot off. And I wholly  second raven's suggestion for a pressure switch on your light.  

Depending on where you are shooting, take some pieces of drywall scrap and have a variety of rounds to get an understanding of what it's going to do in your home. I keep turkey shot in my quick grab home defense weapon. I don't  know if you live in a house with close neighbors or an apartment, but understanding what happens to your round after potentially leaving through your exterior walls goes back to the four basic rules. You don't need slugs or 00 buck to stop a toilet paper thief. 

Re: cleaning. A Bore snake a must own item, imo. 

I’d suggested he also get rifled slugs in case he wanted to punch out to further distances. That’s why I think sights or an optic would be handy. Also as noted, the spread varies depending on choke and ammo so rather than just generalize shot placement, he has are liable method for target acquisition in fast moving situations. 

@misteraven no disagreement, but I don't think a home defense weapon should be reaching too far out. I'm not a fan of people in urban areas setting up ARs for home defense...

I'm a believer in round consistency. I stick to the same thing, regardless of what is on sale. It's one thing for a range day when you're really just looking to blast through some rounds, but I like to count on my weapons performing in the exact way I've trained each time. Basically creating predictability when it is called for. 

That isn't to say don't train with a variety of rounds and find what you are looking for, just know what is going to happen with what you're loading. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

@misteraven no disagreement, but I don't think a home defense weapon should be reaching too far out. I'm not a fan of people in urban areas setting up ARs for home defense...

I'm a believer in round consistency. I stick to the same thing, regardless of what is on sale. It's one thing for a range day when you're really just looking to blast through some rounds, but I like to count on my weapons performing in the exact way I've trained each time. Basically creating predictability when it is called for. 

That isn't to say don't train with a variety of rounds and find what you are looking for, just know what is going to happen with what you're loading. 

Fair enough. I was considering it as more of a flexible tool. Home defense as well as sport and hunting. It’s a great fun and has many applications. Might as well not leave it collecting dust waiting for the boogaloo. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

How can you obtain ammo in a time like now?

Shotgun ammo is easier to get than most stuff. You'll need to just hit spots man. Waste of time and money to order online unless its an absolute last resort but if you bought what we discussed you're in okay shape. If you rip through that much ammo cause shits popping off, then you're fucked already.

Take a drive and hit the big box sporting good stores and I'll bet you'll find ammo. Especially the match grade and high end stuff. Saw plenty of ammo at Walmart earlier today so has to be places your way as well. IF not, ask when the next shipment comes in and get there early.

• Like 1

I'd buy now @Dirty_habiTI tried grabbing 15 boxes, got all the way through checkout, ten minutes later got an email saying that 5 boxes could not be shipped because they were sold out.

We've got a run on ammo, grocery stores are empty, when will there be a run on banks?

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

+1 to this, if I am just dumping rounds at the range its whatever.. and I get putting a bunch through to get used to the weapon and that's totally a good thing to do. But when it comes to defense, train and load a round that you are comfortable with and is predictable.  I also always stick to one round for the magazines that  I use for carry / defense. 

@Dirty_habiTan order that size will last you a long fucking time. The fun of a scattergun wears off incredibly quickly when shooting paper at the range. Unless you are planning on shooting clays or taking some classes, 250 shells is more than enough. 

if you go with the mounted picatinny option for your light, a lot of folk like 1 in diameter FENIX lights with the pressure button for your thumb on the ass of the flashlight. If you get a 1 in dia flashlight you can use a 1 in dia scope mount for your system. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Just grabbed some rounds off of sportsmansguide: USE coupon code SG2968 to save $10.

I was able to get some just now, thank you for the coupon code, it worked!

• Like 2