gun thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, went to my grandmother's house in December to help with some family stuff. Part of which was finding out that my estranged and recently delusional grandfather stashed some guns he had apparently been carrying around. I asked to be taken to them to assure they weren't loaded and to get them out of the van they were apparently held in. This asshole was rolling around with a Ruger GP100 and a Glock 23. Luckily, they were unloaded, and I took them to my father's safe as to prevent them from getting back in the hands of a paranoid 80 somthin year old. Also, I'd argue this is the one time Texas having no registry has actually made things safer... 

ALSO found out there were 4 rifles in the house that apparently no one but my grandmother knew have been there for decades. No one in my family is into fire arms so I'm probably going to have them sent to me. See photos for curiosities:

The four:IMG_0309.thumb.jpg.67f179da8603d53cbda91fa47534f890.jpg

• Old nondescript 22 that I couldn't find any markings to help me identify

IMG_0311.thumb.jpg.e9d1951a938e19d2875215dfba7e3dfa.jpg

• Perfect condition Rem 722 that used to be my great grandmother's hunting rifle. Really wanting to keep this one as a family keepsake. Was only made for a few years in the 50's in a less common Rem .244. Was amazed at the condition. The bolt action was still nice and easy as well. 

1208651561_IMG_0305(1).thumb.jpg.596025795fd869b91f6142c31c95ff1f.jpg
  • These two are historically interesting even if bubba'd onto these stocks. Common for WW2 rifles that were brought back. The one on the left is an Italian Carcano that I was able to trace to the Terni armory in Italy and was produced in 1942. The one on the right is a Mosin Nagant. The stamp markings make it seem as though it was pieced together rather than having been a matching action and barrel.

Ultimately, I should have possession of all of these within a year or so. Very excited to see if I can restore the WWII rifles and also jus to have my great grandmother's hunting rifle. There's a great photo of her with it I've been tying to track down.

Edited by the.crooked
  • Like 3
  • Props 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Just picked up a 6.5 to match with my 5.56 today and reach out to touch something at 1000 yards. Need some glass for it, deciding how much I should spend.

image.thumb.png.10ee6a81b344ac7ea113d5d7c6709696.png

suggest you move your light to 3 or 9 o’clock so it won’t interfere if you’re ever in a situation where you have to rest your hold. Happens more often than you’d guess. Also, rub some lube over the lens. You’re going to get a ton of crap on it since it’s right there in your muzzle blast. Couple mags worth and it’ll be close to worthless as far as light goes, but if you have lube you can quickly wipe the grime off. Without lube you’ll probably have to use a tool to scrape it clean. 

Not a 100% sure off your photo but looks like your optic is bridging the gap between your receiver and rail. If so, back everything up because it should always set just to the edge of the receiver or it’ll lose zero far quicker. Optics never ride on your rail since it’s free floated and not nearly as ridged a placement as mounting to the receiver. Rear iron definitely looks like it should be a little further back. 

Pretty great setup otherwise. Running something very similar on one of my AR’s. Gets heavy though with the magnifier but figured you could quick release it off if needed. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

suggest you move your light to 3 or 9 o’clock so it won’t interfere if you’re ever in a situation where you have to rest your hold. Happens more often than you’d guess. Also, rub some lube over the lens. You’re going to get a ton of crap on it since it’s right there in your muzzle blast. Couple mags worth and it’ll be close to worthless as far as light goes, but if you have lube you can quickly wipe the grime off. Without lube you’ll probably have to use a tool to scrape it clean. 

Solid advice. TBH I haven't trained with it at night even once. Light positioning has more to do with it having a laser for close range, and wanting to keep zero while being stored/transported in a soft case with pressure randomly applied to the side of the rail. It's that far forward because I also wanted to minimize the shadow from the flash suppressor and give myself maximum real estate to grab on the rail.

As to your point, I'll probably move it to my KRISS Vector soon, but I just put some lube on the lens which is remarkably clean as it's been there for about 200 rounds. I might get a nicer (light only) weapons light for it now since the EOTECH is working our far better than the laser, or the Trijicon MRO I previously had on it, super fast target acquisition with that thing. I've also invested in a shit ton of CR123's and every other than this light/laser combo you see runs on CR123 batteries.

Not a 100% sure off your photo but looks like your optic is bridging the gap between your receiver and rail. If so, back everything up because it should always set just to the edge of the receiver or it’ll lose zero far quicker. Optics never ride on your rail since it’s free floated and not nearly as ridged a placement as mounting to the receiver. Rear iron definitely looks like it should be a little further back. 

Correct again. my issue here is there's not enough real estate to place the rear iron in a way that doesn't interfere with charging handle access & comfort. So everything else moved forward. Those DD rails are pretty solid though, 4 bolts and lock tighted in. I initially installed the rear backup sight further back, as soon as I needed room for the magnifier and absolutely hated it when drilling, and accessing the charging handle smoothly. 

My solution is most likely getting the Midwest Industries iron sights that I actually like, and throwing those magpulls on the AR-10 where there's enough real estate for them. The rear sight on the midwest industries is very minimal (and actual metal) with just a round halo that's skinny enough to not interfere when folded down near the charging handle.

image.png.98e4dc91c92bd6aee750710c81ea6d36.png

Friend of mine has these on his AR-10 and I absolutely love shooting with them.

Pretty great setup otherwise. Running something very similar on one of my AR’s. Gets heavy though with the magnifier but figured you could quick release it off if needed. 

Actually love the versatility of the magnifier. I'm pretty good out to 200 yards using my 8" gong without it. 200 yards is also the furthest range I've really used this rifle on, so a magnifier is kind of unnecessary for now. TBH I use the magnifier more off the gun than on it, just to see where I hit when using paper targets. IMO 5X is a bit of overkill for an AR-15. I like the EOTECH setup so much though I might just get an EXPS3 for the AR-10 until I can afford to pick up some serious glass. Regret not spending extra for a top of the line model EOTECH from the jump. Mine doesn't have NV capabilities (not that I own nods yet) and the controls face the rear which isn't ideal with a magnifier. I'll just have to figure out bullet drop to the drop dot's range for 6.5 out of a 20" barrel which might even get me out to 900-1000 if it's getting 62 grain 5.56 out to 600 out of a 14.5 inch barrel.

image.png.dd127251bd6321b0c7cd3ffdbc2769b8.png

Edited by Mercer

• 2 weeks later...

@Mercer6.5 creedmoor ftw. I have a ruger american chambered in that. vortex glass is pretty good and I feel comfortable recommending you get one of their scopes. 

started looking into getting ccw. Sheriff used to be a dickface who would deny any one who wasn’t like a pawn shop owner making heavy bank runs. But can’t anymore. Reason for justification can be “n/a” now and the forms get pushed. The only pistol I have is full size tho so I prob won’t really carry that much, mostly a preemptive “grandfathered-in” move. Shits like $188 total in processing fees. 

Out here if you have a CCW, you skip the hold period. Between that and reciprocity as well as adding to the statistic of carrying, makes it well worth it IMO.

My state is classified as a second amendment sanctuary state (takes things a ways past constitutional carry), so you aren’t just free to carry open or concealed, but it’s legally defined that everyone here is armed and that you should conduct yourself according to that assumption.