gun thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

One thing I've always really appreciated about Glocks is the fact that they're (most anyways) striker fire. As such, the only way to discharge the weapon is with a trigger pull. From an mechanical point of view, there is zero ways for you to drop the weapon or bump it and have it fire. Literally requires a trigger pull. I know its a rare exception, but with the whole Sig fiasco recently, it reaffirmed my thought that it might be a good way to go. Also, can't imagine being accurate, especially under pressure on a DA/SA first trigger pull and definitely not on a DA gun.

That said, what I'm not sure I like, and what I often get hung up on, is the extreme sweep of the grip. You really have to bend at the wrist in a way that feels less natural to me to get sites on target effectively.

• Props 1

5 hours ago, misteraven said:

Bunch of friends are trying to convince me to go for a 1911. Never actually owned one and been ages since I’ve shot one. Really tempted, if I had the loot, especially after my friend ThirdEyeK9 showed me his. 

Found out later that these are an $8k custom build (he got his gifted) with a 2 - 2.5 year wait list! Oof!

Sweet looking gun though. 

Owned a Dan Wesson bobtail and a Sig 220 for a while. Sweet shooters, but after a while realized I don't like shooting .45 ACP.  Sold 'em both.  Also had a Sig 229 in .40sw.  Didn't really shoot that much either.  Just kept and strictly shoot 9mm now, although a .38 may find it's way into the rotation.  My daughters' interest in shooting means a .22 is on the way as well, but it will most likely be an AR pattern rifle vs a pistol.  I'm sure a .22 pistol will come into the fold too. 

Gotta find a pic of the fam.  I deleted most of my guns off my IG....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

One thing I've always really appreciated about Glocks is the fact that they're (most anyways) striker fire. As such, the only way to discharge the weapon is with a trigger pull. From an mechanical point of view, there is zero ways for you to drop the weapon or bump it and have it fire. Literally requires a trigger pull. I know its a rare exception, but with the whole Sig fiasco recently, it reaffirmed my thought that it might be a good way to go. Also, can't imagine being accurate, especially under pressure on a DA/SA first trigger pull and definitely not on a DA gun.

That said, what I'm not sure I like, and what I often get hung up on, is the extreme sweep of the grip. You really have to bend at the wrist in a way that feels less natural to me to get sites on target effectively.

I love my p226, shot steel comps with it for a while, but ya, that 11lb DA first pull suck shit though.

• Truth 1

But, the Mossy Shockwave is the primary for home defense and as a truck gun (unless an AK serves my needs better ;). Gonna replace the hand strap with a leather version eventually, may be some leather for the goose head grip, some Book of Eli type shit.

Surprisingly, a very fun shooter with the Aguila Mini Slugs  

IMG_5170.JPG

Edited by 6Pennies
added a detail
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Just got this in a general news / current events email I get.

Okay, now discuss....

Starting August 1, you can 3D print a gun

Last week, the Department of Justice made it legal to produce guns with a 3D printer in a settlement with gun-printing startup Defense Distributed.

The ruling is the result of multi-year crusade spearheaded by gun-rights evangelist Cody Wilson and allows Defense Distributed to post detailed blueprints for ‘ghost guns’ -- which are untraceable, unregistered, and DIY for anyone with access to a 3D printer.

The rise of ‘wiki-weapons’

Cody Wilson (creator of hate-based crowdfunding platform Hatreon and one of the perennial “most dangerous people on the internet”) founded Defense Distributed in 2012 to make homemade weapons available to all.

But, after DD’s ‘Wiki Weapon Project’ spat out its first functional firearm, The Liberator, in 2013, the Justice Department forced Wilson to remove the gun’s blueprints from the internet, invoking a gun export law.

Wilson, being the radical libertarian/crypto-anarchist he is, decided to appeal the State Department’s ban in court.

New technology, old amendment

Wilson argued that posting digital blueprints of automatic weapons online was simply an expression of his First Amendment right of free speech -- and the Department of Justice ruled in his favor.

Now, thanks to improved  3D-printing technology and this new law, turning digital schematics into actual guns requires only an internet connection and a 3D printer. For DIY gun lovers without 3D printers, Defense Distributed produces a specialized machine called the Ghost Gunner.

Ghost guns: Coming to a garage printer near you

After winning the settlement, Defense Distributed relaunched its comprehensive gun encyclopedia, DEFCAD, which features guns ranging from AR-15s to Berettas. The website is open for uploads and will allow for downloads starting in August.

To reduce the number of mass shootings in America (where gun deaths are 25x higher than other high-income countries), politicians are debating ways to control gun ownership. 

Suggestions range from background checks, bans on assault weapons, minimum age requirements, and ‘red flag’ warning systems -- all of which are impossible if anonymous gunsmiths can download and print untraceable guns in their garages.

• Like 1

Which aspect to discuss?  People have made their own firearms for as long as they've existed, this just makes it easier for those without knowledge to do it too, follows many other trends in the world.  Somewhat of a guitar hero for gunsmithing?  

Curious thought that this makes a functional weapon, but in terms of being practical these can't be the type of thing that you put 1000s of rounds through.

I do admire anyone who takes on the government on legal standpoints and wins.  But I also hear a Principal Skinner voice saying 'that gentleman just bought himself a lifetime of governement monitoring!'

• Like 2

Im thinking double action. Looking at CZ now. going to the range soon to feel the ergonomics. ih8juggaloes (irl friend on here) is very pleased with a walther he picked up a while back. 

Been too many stories recently locally that have prompted me to get a home defense weapon at the very least. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:17 AM, misteraven said:

Just got this in a general news / current events email I get.

Okay, now discuss....

Starting August 1, you can 3D print a gun

Last week, the Department of Justice made it legal to produce guns with a 3D printer in a settlement with gun-printing startup Defense Distributed.

The ruling is the result of multi-year crusade spearheaded by gun-rights evangelist Cody Wilson and allows Defense Distributed to post detailed blueprints for ‘ghost guns’ -- which are untraceable, unregistered, and DIY for anyone with access to a 3D printer.

The rise of ‘wiki-weapons’

Cody Wilson (creator of hate-based crowdfunding platform Hatreon and one of the perennial “most dangerous people on the internet”) founded Defense Distributed in 2012 to make homemade weapons available to all.

But, after DD’s ‘Wiki Weapon Project’ spat out its first functional firearm, The Liberator, in 2013, the Justice Department forced Wilson to remove the gun’s blueprints from the internet, invoking a gun export law.

Wilson, being the radical libertarian/crypto-anarchist he is, decided to appeal the State Department’s ban in court.

New technology, old amendment

Wilson argued that posting digital blueprints of automatic weapons online was simply an expression of his First Amendment right of free speech -- and the Department of Justice ruled in his favor.

Now, thanks to improved  3D-printing technology and this new law, turning digital schematics into actual guns requires only an internet connection and a 3D printer. For DIY gun lovers without 3D printers, Defense Distributed produces a specialized machine called the Ghost Gunner.

Ghost guns: Coming to a garage printer near you

After winning the settlement, Defense Distributed relaunched its comprehensive gun encyclopedia, DEFCAD, which features guns ranging from AR-15s to Berettas. The website is open for uploads and will allow for downloads starting in August.

To reduce the number of mass shootings in America (where gun deaths are 25x higher than other high-income countries), politicians are debating ways to control gun ownership. 

Suggestions range from background checks, bans on assault weapons, minimum age requirements, and ‘red flag’ warning systems -- all of which are impossible if anonymous gunsmiths can download and print untraceable guns in their garages.

jumping in for a quick drive-by, but i think 3D is going to be the future....

I think 3D is cool for making prototype parts in a pinch or making adjustments before production, but how durable is the material? I wouldn't trust that shit for a second, I've seen guns get their actions mangled from hot loads (no homo) at the range. To be honest if you want a ghost gun just buy a throwaway piece and shave the serial number off.

Yeah, the tech isn’t there quite yet, but it’s inevitable. It’s likely an easy solution to deal with, though like all else, there’s work arounds.

For drones, they have a chip that keeps it from flying into regulated air space like airports. For scanners, they have some shit that blocks you from scanning currency. This will be more of the same. 

For now the tech is new, so it’s possible to print one out. From what I’ve seen, it’s a single use weapon, but does work. For the most part, it’s more of a plastic zip gun than anything resembling a true firearm. 

But handmade guns guns can be amazing. In fact, some of the best 1911s I’ve heard of are literally custom made, one at a time. I think the real issue with “ghost guns” is more about the quality of the tooling and the experience of the user making it (or lack thereof). Would love to get into it myself, but have too much on my plate as is and if I was going to do it, I’d ensure I had the right tools, which no doubt cost far more than I can throw at it. Just don’t have the time or money for a hobby that deep. That said, I do reload ammo though. Anyone else into that?

34 minutes ago, +plus+ said:

So the gun rabbithole is dangerous to my wallet. Putting the idea on ice until savings look healthy. 

Still havent been to range to try out the assorted pistols 

At least it’s a good investment. Price of bullets went up more than gold or silver in the last decade. And most my guns are worth more now than when I bought them. No doubt they’ll be worth a shit ton more if someone like HRC gets into office next. 

• Props 1

5 hours ago, misteraven said:

At least it’s a good investment. Price of bullets went up more than gold or silver in the last decade. And most my guns are worth more now than when I bought them. No doubt they’ll be worth a shit ton more if someone like HRC gets into office next. 

Did not know this. Good to know. HRC though? That'll be a cold day in hell.  OT but even her own party wants her to take along walk off a short pier. Someone like her i could see though.