gun thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, the non free states of the USA, have a bunch of stupid laws on the books that make no real sense. When you look at actual data as to what guns are used for the vast majority of crimes or bother to understand calibers and ballistics, you’ll realize quickly that the rap you see coming from those opposed, generally fall far from reality. Probably a whole other topic, but even at the federal level in the USA, you need a $200 tax stamp to own a “short barreled rifle”. 

Thats defined Ned as a rifle with total barrel length under 16 inches. So most barrels have a 14.5 inch barrel that has a muzzle brake or compensator that’s either pinned or welded to bring the entire legnth to 16+ inches. Other option is you can remove the stock and then it becomes a “pistol”, though shouldering it puts you in violation anyways. 

Super stupid all around. 

Though, have to say that AR pistols are fun and look cool, but you lose a lot of power with the short barrel. It really needs a typical carbine length to allow the pressure to build enough to reach the velocity that caliber was intended for. 

But then again, plenty of pistol caliber options that would be great at SBR length, as well as subsonic rifle calibers like 300BLK that actually work best at SBR length barrels like 10 inches. 

• Props 1

You're spot on about the typical arguments for banning them. Never made a whole lot of sense. I think it just looks intimidating. It could be argued that its easier to conceal but at that point, does it really matter much?

You're right about that being an entirely different topic though. Id rather just geek out on cool hardware than devolve into arguments of circular logic with anti gun folks.

416-pistol-left.jpg

2446275_02_bushmaster_acr_w_folding_stock_640.jpg

cc2BfjM.jpg

13006536_10156747720885433_7712684567323434381_n.jpg

It makes sense that it would be. You'd have to be pretty thick to commit a crime with any weapon that's been heavily modified. You wouldn't want to have to toss expensive gear either. Ideally? What do I know, just speculating

Thing is, it’s already clear the person has no respect for laws from jump street, so making one thing illegal and another not, is just silly and a waste of time. 

It’s a complex issue that most often becomes emotionally charged. If the goal is to affect change, the protocol should be to look at facts based in evidence rather than emotional arguments. 

1 minute ago, misteraven said:

Thing is that crimes aren’t really committed with custom guns. You are correct regarding concealment which is likely the reason that the overwhelming majority of gun crime are pistols. If you look into it, it’s usually cheap shitty guns. 

I have a cop friend that says most of the guns he sees on the street are 9mm or under--mostly, stolen, ugly, modified, uncleaned and rusted shit. 

In AZ they assume all interactions will involve a gun however. Depending on how you answer will dictate the tone.  I can say that I got out of 3 tickets by answering I had a gun honestly and quickly.  One interaction involved alcohol on my breath and my pistol on the floor. Cop saw it, asked about, and where it was. I told him. He pulled me out asked if I'd been drinking, let me go, said he appreciated the honesty.  In classes I've taken, we are told to identify our guns by name and caliber to a police officer as a way to lesson tension....

On another note: Notice the Maryland Capital Gazette shooting didn't get a whole lot of attention? Dude used a shotgun, right? Doesn't fit the narrative....

• Truth 1

16 minutes ago, Kults said:

It makes sense that it would be. You'd have to be pretty thick to commit a crime with any weapon that's been heavily modified. You wouldn't want to have to toss expensive gear either. Ideally? What do I know, just speculating

Besides tactical applications, there's the competitive aspect to it too.  I have a lot of family that shoot USPSA and IPSIC. People putting $ into speed, sight, and accuracy enhancements are not the type to hit a liquor store.... 

Edited by 6Pennies
  • Truth 1

@6Penniesgreat suggestions even if it’s not required. I’d also suggest having your paperwork ready and sitting on the dash in front of the steering wheel before they reach your window. If you have your stuff in a clear plastic envelope (sold at any office supply shop for like $2), this becomes easy. Likewise having your DL in one of those sleeves for holding cards and having your CCW conveniently located in the same sleeve... that way when they walk up, you’ve already shuffled and pulled your docs and have them sitting there. Leave your hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and wait for them to request your paperwork. Then ask if it’s okay to reach for it off the dash. Grab it all one handed while your other hand stays on the wheel. 

Soonds extreme, but keeps my in mind dude is likely more stressed than you are when walking up after all the shit they see (and hear about), my thought that anything you can do to diffuse the situation is in everyone’s best interest, but especially yours. 

Honestly it’s not tough and suspect they’ll appreciate it, along with the aforementioned honestly, and likely lead to you getting a pass even if you did something stupid and deserve a ticket. 

1 minute ago, 6Pennies said:

People putting $ into speed, sight, and accuracy enhancements are not the type to hit a liquor store.... 

I believe ya. It wouldn't make much sense if they did.

15 minutes ago, misteraven said:

*Though that Nintendo custom build should not be illegal in my opinion, I do think it’s irresponsible. Only a dickhead would waste their time on a build like that.   

It reminded me of this poster. You're absolutely right though. 

subway-ad-toy-guns-real.jpg

• Truth 1

Also keep in mind that cops are people. Like most people you’ve probably worked with, about half are mediocre at best. With PC department quotas, often you have people that really should not have been put in the position. Then you have poor training more often than you’d really believe, coupled with high stress. 

Makes for a really bad combination. 

Ive learned fro personal experience that the ability to process stress and react well is an ability similar to athletic prowess. Some people are born talent, some really work hard and become better than most, the vast majority will never compete at an advanced level, let alone go pro. 

On 10/3/2016 at 11:41 AM, misteraven said:

Nope, never hunted. Never really lived in a place that allowed for much of that. Figured I'd go out with someone that knows what they're doing and just give it my best. Unsure what I'll hunt for, but have heard a lot of good things regarding Elk, so that's on my wish list. As far as tools, I'll likely follow the suggestion of whoever I go with. Don't think .223/5.56 is a good caliber for hunting game that large, so doubt I'd use any of the weapons I've posted. I do own a long gun chambered in .308, but suspect even that isn't big enough. This said, it's been on my todo list for a long time to get into precision shooting, so hoping to start once the dust settles. Probably not very sporting to take game at massive distance, but have my eyes on the Accuracy International AXMC chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum. Expensive as round to shoot, even with reloading, but they also have a conversion kit to 308 so thinking that's the best of both worlds. Haven't done much regarding precision shooting though, so still have a bit to learn which is cool since that weapon definitely costs a pretty penny as well.

.270 is my go to for deer. Still want to shoot and Elk, and would probably go with a .308 or 30-06.

I want a .223 rifle for fun but every time I have the money I can't justify it. Went to a buddys ranch up by Dallas 2 years back and had a lot of fun with his various toys. Shot some tannerite and did some handgun practice. I didn;t realize how big of a gap there is between rifles and handguns.

13329462_10208248346719062_341924394821777182_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 2

30-06 is a nice caliber. Don't have a lot of experience with it, but looks great on paper, has withstood the test of time and always hearing great things.

.223 / 5.56 is fun. Its not a great round, but it really did fulfill the requirement it was made for, which is a cheap round, easy to carry in volume and effective at the distance most engagements were occurring at during that time. I suspect it'll be around for a lot longer if not constantly going up against 7.62 and the longer range that entails, would likely still be the military's first choice.

@+plus+Good form in that you didn't chicken wing out your elbow. Might help if you use your front hand on the rail and use the forward grip just to know where to place your hand rather than actually gripping it. Chris Costa pushes that super long forward reach, but truth is it really does help drive the gun to targets much faster without the sway and also helps keep the gun flatter after recoil so you can get another round on target a little faster.

My friend kept reiterating the "no chicken wing" I have lots of shotgun experience but the grip is a bit different. I see what you mean with the forward grip placement being easier to re-aim(?) onto targets but i also understand Fist and how much heavier that can be. That being said your guns don't look very heavy ?

Lots of dove and duck hunting down here on the gulf coast. Deer Hunting can be good but personally I find it overrated. More into it to spend time with my dad and to escape the rat race. 

Been stuck in the city for awhile so I haven't been going much recently. 

My pops is super into Bow Hunting and im going to inherent his old bow soon so that should be quite the challenge. 

i want to pick your brain about daily carry choices as far as handguns go. I don't want to carry all the time but would like something just in case. I have small hands but prefer a heavier gun with less recoil. Shot .45 1911 I loved but was large, shot a beretta 9mm I HATED. Shot a makarov shit pos that was terrible. Liked my buddy's XD .45

I've never actually been deer hunting myself. Was supposed to go last fall, but got too busy with work. Planning to pull tags this fall and give it a go if I have time. Feel a little bad about the animal, but I really enjoy meat and figure if I eat it, might as well earn it. And in that regard I rather be eating fresh wild meat than the institutionalized crap they sell at the supermarket.

Also planning to do some turkey hunting and already have tags for it. Being honest, I'd love to go hog hunting. Looks so fun and being a nuisance animal, also makes it a little easier to pull the trigger on. Just not really a thing this far north.

In regards to a carry gun, I'd start by narrowing down a few things... First, do you prefer single action, DA/SA or are you okay with double action? Next, I'd suggest you go to a range and try and shoot something with a heavy sweep to the grip like a Glock or something nearly perpendicular like a Sig. That'll help you way narrow down your options. After that I'd consider ballistics with respect towards magazine size.

9mm is a good pistol round, though its considered weak. Its cheap and fairly small, so even small guns will have decent capacity. In terms of pistol ballistics, according to extensive FPI research, 10mm is considered an ideal between size and force, but it's not super common so it'll be a fair bit more expensive and if you worry about SHTF type scenarios might be a little tough to come on. Obviously .45 has a ton of hurt when it hits, but trade off is that you'll likely only have a single stack mag and if you're looking for something compact, you better be good with your aim, cause you won't get too many shots.

You might want to also consider choosing a caliber in terms of context of other guns you own or that would be owned by people you spend a lot of time with. For example, if you decide or already own a Sig MPX, being able to buy 9mm in bulk and use on both platforms is convenient. It's a lesser priority, but worth considering. Likewise, if you think you might want to own a Keltec, part of the draw is you can not only use the same ammo as a Glock 17/19, but also share mags between them.

Once important thing to note in your carry gun, is its worth talking to your local police department and ask what ammo they run. Practice with whatever you want and at home, load up whatever you want but when carrying, I'd advise to load whatever your local PD uses or the same type of ammo in the caliber you select. Reason being is even a justifiable shooting can get ugly and if you wind up getting dragged to court and put under serious scrutiny for your choices, having shot someone with a round type that is considered non-standard will equate to more lethal and end up causing you more headaches. Sounds super stupid (and is in fact ridiculous), but I've heard of incidents where the tables got turned and the victim ends up being sued for excessive force due to running some shit like black talon ammo. Likewise, you might want to consider CCW insurance as well. Since its so rarely used, its surprisingly cheap. It's purpose is to cover lawyer fees and all that expense should you find yourself in court over a justifiable shooting.

4 hours ago, +plus+ said:

i want to pick your brain about daily carry choices as far as handguns go. I don't want to carry all the time but would like something just in case. I have small hands but prefer a heavier gun with less recoil. Shot .45 1911 I loved but was large, shot a beretta 9mm I HATED. Shot a makarov shit pos that was terrible. Liked my buddy's XD .45

A Glock 19 is a great starting point. I carry mine every day: appendix IWB

47 minutes ago, misteraven said:

@6Penniesyou do any work to your G19 or stock? Seems you’d have some crazy shit. 

G19: Agency Arms magwell, Agency Arms trigger, S3F match barrel, red fiber optic front sight w/ rear battle sight (I forget which brand maybe Wilson Tactical)

G17: set up exactly the same except: no magwell, add S3F threaded barrel

?

Bunch of friends are trying to convince me to go for a 1911. Never actually owned one and been ages since I’ve shot one. Really tempted, if I had the loot, especially after my friend ThirdEyeK9 showed me his. 

Found out later that these are an $8k custom build (he got his gifted) with a 2 - 2.5 year wait list! Oof!

Sweet looking gun though.