gun thread

Fucking lame... chipped the barrel of my 9, think it was from a casing getting royally jammed at ejection. Never heard of that happening before though- chipped off an angle of the barrel in the back, thought that metal was relatively strong since it's managing explosions in tight quarters. Hopefully it's just buying a new barrel.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Never shot one but the onee I've seen look nice. Heard people call them over rated but maybe they're mad about the price tag.

Saw a company making a derringer style, kind of a novelty gun but looked like it had a good pocket fit if you don't mind having only 2-3 shots. Might have been Bond Arms as they have a line like that?

@Fist 666 it was an S&W M&P, the compact, not the sub compact. I still put 300 rounds through it today but I have to replace that ASAP and leave it aside until then.

Never shot one but the onee I've seen look nice. Heard people call them over rated but maybe they're mad about the price tag.

Saw a company making a derringer style, kind of a novelty gun but looked like it had a good pocket fit if you don't mind having only 2-3 shots. Might have been Bond Arms as they have a line like that?

@Fist 666 it was an S&W M&P, the compact, not the sub compact. I still put 300 rounds through it today but I have to replace that ASAP and leave it aside until then.

Salient Arms International was just having a sale on barrels. Definitely can vouch for the quality of their stuff, but yeah can be pricey. Believe they work over M&P's but I've been more a Glock guy so you'll need to check. But if they do, would be a great excuse to get one of their barrels.

Yeah, what he said... That Kimber looks sweet.

That being said, with the way most people dress, do you really need something that compact for a daily carry? Honestly, most days I'd have no problem with a Glock 17, though sitting down kind of sucks.

And on a related note, anybody else seeing the news that they're working on legislation for National reciprocity? I'm generally very much the type of person that feels you should leave big decisions to the states, but after so many years of seeing gun rights being eroding, can't say I'm all that upset. Likewise, pretty excited to also see that they might throw that ear safety bill on Trump's desk next year that would take suppressors off the NFA list.

Learned something today. Took my gun in to the shop, guy kind of looked in disbelief when I told him but quickly agreed when shown. Got a call a few hours later that someone else had looked at it and said it's manufctured like that, doesn't seem to make sense to me when you strip it and then look at all the pieces together but I guess I'll pick it up tomorrow and see. Anyhow, guy said he has seen the barrel crack like that before, something to do with improper heat treatment. S&W guarantees the gun for life so they would have just replaced it anyway, pretty nice for a cheap investment.

I did see the news on reciprocity, thought that was pretty cool. Had a buddy come cross country to see me and he was showing me a website he used on reciprocity laws by state to see where he wouldn't get bothered along the way (this ended up coming in handy later on more than one occasion). Was also thinking about it seeing KIR's post about setting out with some guns.

[ATTACH=full]216019[/ATTACH]

This was the gun I saw before, by American Derringer. 6" 2 shots .45 Again, more of a toy perhaps, but I like it.

Did get to look at a bunch of Kimbers today and have to say the price isn't that bad, the really expensive models are the competition ones, there are plenty at comparable prices.

Can't imagine how hard it must be to hold onto that little thing and get the site picture back on target after that first shot.

Ha, good point on the trigger. The frame and overall design appear cumbersome but seeing it in person it looks like you could carry it on person fairly easily. Again, probably more of a novelty gun... when the original was made gentlemen probably carried them in a waistband or inside their vest, and back in that time women also carried them in their "muff" lol, kind of like a wrap of fur that they held their hands in, so that was concealed carry of the day.

I think my interest is seeing someone pay tribute to an old and forgotten style, even though the name is pretty familiar. I had started looking at antique firearms, and also kind of keeping an eye out for non-operational antique guns (lower cost). Any of you guys collect any firearms/history type stuff? I got some old ass NRA magazines from like the 40s, had cool double page ads for Colt, S&W, Winchester, Remington, eventually going to cut them out and frame them.

Kills me to see those old ads where you could literally order a retired machine gun out if the back of a magazine for like $30. I'm on the border of being old enough to remember the pre ban era. Wonder how many dudes came up huge from that. Considering an HK MP5 is really only something like a $1200 gun yet a pre ban class 3 version will set you back like $30,000 used in good condition.

I don't have any antiques, but my dad has a S&W .38 revolver that's among the very first made. I think its WW1 era or so, but don't recall. Oldest thing I have is a Sig .45 I bought just out of high school which happens to be one of the old German versions before they started making them here. Have been wanting to pick up a Mosin Nagant for a while, but haven't done so yet. That's another firearm I've slipped on. Seems like not long ago they we're $150 - $300 even in beautiful barely used condition. Now seeing them push up above $1000.

On a related topic, once I get over the hump of moving, was planning to stock up on ammo now that prices are back to something resembling reasonable. Maybe I'll finally get my son a 22LR now that you can actually find ammo for it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I only get to shoot my army buddies lent handguns at an indoor range. But the people are cool and there's a variety of targets to shoot at, so I'm not too mad.

It's only a special thing for me though, maybe once a month maybe less often. If I'd invest in a firearm it'd be a longer barrel bolt action thing. Living in the city sucks ass.

• Like 1

2 for 3 in the New Year, would like to make it a 1-2/week type thing. Got a bunch of new targets for myself over the holidays, helped increase the motivation.

What do you guys typically shoot for targets?

You guys buy your ammo or reload?

I usually start with one of the pie plate sized reactive targets and then switch to realistic scenario targets. Indoor and outdoor. Outdoor as much as possible- feels more free, breathing less lead, and the echo is lovely. I've seen people bring pumpkins for rifle practice, some metal target games, never been to a place where you can bring whatever you like to shoot. Guess that happens more on private property, would love to have that chance.

@One Man Banned , What state are you in? (Okay if you don't answer)

Most of my non-military outdoor experience has been on public land, not private property. BLM and similar. I have to assume there are some options near you for that type of "free for all" shooting, but this of course varies massively within certain states.

I'd research state regs for state forest and BLM land. As long as you're shooting into a berm or hill, can confirm general safety, and of course clean up your mess you are likely good to go.

That has been my approach in the past, and have had many conversations with rangers and the sort about it (being military/veteran likely helped the situation, though, too).

@Fist 666 My buddy has done that much in the same way as you and has mentioned that to me before. However, BLM seems more weighted toward the West and MidWest. Their map gets weird after that, like the NE is the whole upper middle and right of the country and the SE follows a similar path. I just checked their website, which was pretty unhelpful too. I can check state owned lands but I really doubt we have stuff like what you describe. Plenty of space for hunting, little for gunplay.

• 2 months later...

All of my friends own firearms (legally) twice a month We meet up to shoot all sorts, mp5's, ar15, ak47, a few different handguns. I myself can not own them anymore due to previous convictions but it would nice if I could! Two of my close buds are gun freaks..have so many. I only owned a few. Next time we meet up to shoot ill be sure to post some pics.

Certain people can own full auto- law enforcement, military (I believe), and people grandfathered in. Not sure if it's my state or the whole country now but the laws were changed from before, where you could transfer one of those weapons to someone else. Where I shoot there's a handful of lucky fucks who have belt fed weapons. Pretty cool, but damn expensive to fire.

Anyone with a clean record can own a full auto weapon.It's class 3, the same as suppressors and SBR's, so you need a $200 tax stamp to purchase one. That said, its limited to pre ban weapons, which means manufactured and registered before 1986. Obviously not available in every state, but definitely most of them. Reference: https://www.nraila.org/articles/19990729/fully-automatic-firearms

• 2 weeks later...