--THE-BEAUTIFUL-GAME--

RumPuncher

very exciting news:

some TOP clubs are considering playing away games (that count in the standings, not just exhibition matches) over here in North America.

Top clubs consider overseas games

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned. At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games. Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them. It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

This is a chance for the Premier League to showcase its product around the world

It is unlikely any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June, but any changes could come into effect for the 2010/11 season. Points from those extra games would count towards the league table. Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games. It is believed each venue would host two matches over a weekend.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one. "The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said. "But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

The Premier League's income from the sale of overseas TV rights has already increased from �178m in 2001 to �625m for the current deal that runs until 2010. Broadcaster NowTV paid around �100m for the rights to Hong Kong alone. Premier League games are broadcast to over 600m homes in 202 countries worldwide, while an estimated 1bn people watched the Premier League game between Manchester United and Arsenal in November 2007.

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game. Man Utd make regular visits to Asia and are proving a big hit in China Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead.

"This is a chance for the Premier League to showcase its product around the world," added Bose.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the financial advantages for the clubs.

"Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."

There is likely to be a big scramble for the right to host the extra games.

"It will be like cities bidding for the Olympic Games or the World Cup," explained Bose.

The Premier League's proposal mirrors moves in other sports, notably American Football.

Miami Dolphins and New York Giants met at Wembley in October, the first competitive NFL game outside the Americas.

similar to the NFL match held in London England last season.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i don't know how you MLS fans can stand to watch that crap. maybe in a couple of years the standards will rise, but that shit is serriously second rate. i think Beckham serriously fucked himself in the ass going to play in that mickey mouse league. How he expects to be picked for England again when he's playing in the american equivilent of our League 1 in between flying around the world every two or three days i don't know.

and it's all well and good talking about the "english game" becoming "less english" but let's be honest, we have the most competitive, profitable, talented and entertaining football league in the world with the best of the best international players in the world. the fact that anybody who's anybody in football would never rule out coming to england to play speaks for itself.

I've read a that la liga and serie a is better quality than the premier league I can't say because I can't watch those leagues but Barcelona and Real Madrid seem to have a shit load of talent in their teams a little too much like Barca buying Henry really was pretty pointless they already have Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi up forward but whatever I'm ranting let's keep this thread going!

i don't know how you MLS fans can stand to watch that crap. maybe in a couple of years the standards will rise, but that shit is serriously second rate. i think Beckham serriously fucked himself in the ass going to play in that mickey mouse league. How he expects to be picked for England again when he's playing in the american equivilent of our League 1 in between flying around the world every two or three days i don't know.

and it's all well and good talking about the "english game" becoming "less english" but let's be honest, we have the most competitive, profitable, talented and entertaining football league in the world with the best of the best international players in the world. the fact that anybody who's anybody in football would never rule out coming to england to play speaks for itself.

yes, we know our domestic league isn't on par with the premier league.

no other league in the world is on par with the premier league.

that being said, I will still watch TFC in the MLS because it's feasible. supporting our domestic league will only help to make it better, and successful, and it won't in any way retract from me also supporting my favourite team in the premier league.

don't worry.

nobody is saying the MLS is outclassing the EPL.

I've read a that la liga and serie a is better quality than the premier league I can't say because I can't watch those leagues but Barcelona and Real Madrid seem to have a shit load of talent in their teams a little too much like Barca buying Henry really was pretty pointless they already have Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi up forward but whatever I'm ranting let's keep this thread going!

the EPL is more fast paced and it is physically harder football.

Serie A is fucking boring. I've never really followed La Liga, so I can't really comment.

But lots of players who come to the EPL from La Liga can't keep up to the pace and style of football in the EPL, (Fernando Moriente is an example...) but then you have cases like Torres for l'pool who is tearing it up, and Cesc for Arsenal who is the future of that team.

if i lived in europe, and my city had a team, i would have probably gone to nfl europe/world league games.

for me, it's more about supporting my city's team.

and there's talent in the MLS, just not depth. the US team qualifies consistently and does alright in tournaments, and they have a good number of MLS players as well as guys that play abroad.

p.s. i really like that british show about MLS football, "david beckham's soccer usa"... it's a little corny, but it's fun to see that perspective.

i'm sure you soccer (football) heads noticed the new ads on the site by now. anyhow, please support the companies that support us and check out their site. it's a great game whether your into soccer or not, but you guys should especially appreciate the quality and fun this game packs in.

anyhow, click the banner and look at the site...

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

When it happened, sky sports didnt show the replay because it was so gnarly.

Later that evening at the pub they showed it in super slow motion and the whole pub went "EEEEEEEUUUURRRGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

Shit was gross. His foot was about to fall off.

Look it up on youtube if you can stomach it, search eduardo injury or something.

Later that evening at the pub they showed it in super slow motion and the whole pub went "EEEEEEEUUUURRRGHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

Shit was gross. His foot was about to fall off.

Look it up on youtube if you can stomach it, search eduardo injury or something.

i was working (in a pub) on sat during the game and MOTD.

like jackson said, literally every male in the pub (the girls just carried on drinking) looked up and at the same time went "ouuuccccccchhhhh"...

it was one of those male bonding moments that happen so rarely...

then chelsea lost to the yids on sunday...

good weekend!