Cops Can Search You...and Your Phone's Memory

lord_casek

Here's a frightening but real proposition: if you are caught breaking certain traffic laws, not only do police have the right to search you—they can go through all your electronic data as well—your text messages, call histories, browsing history, downloaded emails and photos. In a recent academic paper, South Texas Assistant Professor Adam Gershowitz explains that because many traffic violations are arrestable offenses, just as a cop could search your pockets for drugs, said cop can also search your pockets for a smartphone and go through all its contents. The same is true for any standard arrest, and given the amount of data in current smartphones, it's a scary proposition (even for law-abiding citizens like us). We'll give you the CliffsNotes version of Gershowitz's 30-page article in which he outlines the situation.

The Issue:

While society and technology have changed drastically over the last few decades, the search incident to arrest rule has remained static. Thus, if we think of an iPhone as a container ******like a cigarette package or a closed box, police can open and search the contents inside with no questions asked and no probable cause required, so long as they are doing so pursuant to a valid arrest.

A Recent Precedent:

The Fifth Circuit's recent 2007 in United States v. Finley is representative. Police arrested Finley after a staged drug sale. The police then searched Finley incident to arrest and found a cellphone in his pocket. One of the investigating officers searched through the phone's records and found text messages that appeared to relate to drug trafficking...******the court explained that "police officers are not constrained to search only for weapons...they may also, without any additional justification, look for evidence of the arrestee's crime on his person in order to preserve it for use at trial.

The Solutions:

Courts and legislatures can attempt to minimize this invasion of privacy by changing the legal rules to require that searches be related to the purpose of the arrest, by limiting searches to applications that are already open, by restricting suspicionless investigation to a small number of discrete steps, or by limiting searches to data already downloaded onto the iPhone, rather than data that is merely accessible through the iPhone's internet connection.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why this is new news....I can remember the police lining doods up against the wall making us "turn our pockets into elephant ears" since 7th grade...as far as I knew everything that came out of your pocket was open season for the man. And last I checked, you don't even have to commit a crime to go to jail...

well I keep my phone locked with 2 pins one for the phone itself and one for the sim card...

I am trying to find the ruling from s.f.... I think it was in late 2006

This type of stuff is part of what makes up my job. Google "computer forensics".

You won't hide shit by deleting your txt messages. Also, a locked phone is just a piece of readily available software away from being unlocked. Sim cards included.

If you want to do something dodgy, either keep it away from technology or purchase a program that will properly delete evidence from your computer (by writing over the data with 0's and 1's). Of course, if you're really dodgy, any forensics expert will see an unusual pattern of 0's and 1's and know what you did. Even after overwriting, it is still possible (but EXTREMELY expensive) to undelete the original data.

I'm watching you.

Guest shai_hulud

And people laugh at me for not saving numbers on my cell phone.

I keep a little black book well hidden, with nothing but first names and last initials. Area codes usually clue me in to who it is. Most numbers I dial from memory.

This type of stuff is part of what makes up my job. Google "computer forensics".

You won't hide shit by deleting your txt messages. Also, a locked phone is just a piece of readily available software away from being unlocked. Sim cards included.

If you want to do something dodgy, either keep it away from technology or purchase a program that will properly delete evidence from your computer (by writing over the data with 0's and 1's). Of course, if you're really dodgy, any forensics expert will see an unusual pattern of 0's and 1's and know what you did. Even after overwriting, it is still possible (but EXTREMELY expensive) to undelete the original data.

I'm watching you.

yeah, you need to go ahead and spill the beans on what you do for a living, unless it's military, WE CARE.

I'm watching you.

You're gonna have to elaborate

I got bagged a few months ago, and I had a few recent cell phone flicks. Luckily the cops didn't go through it. They might have seen some nekkid 18 year old girls. They gave me my one phone call with my own cell for some reason. Weird.

Anyone else completely fucking out of it in the morning? I can't make sense of life right now