critique your shit

Poesia [ ] T

alright man thanks for the advice. ive got a long way to go. if this thread is still alive, ill try to put up some new stuff and hopefully you could tell me what you think

The craft of drawing is worth learning. But more important....... observation. Paying close attention to the little details in a composition. That's what will make a piece stand out from the rest. You're only 15, you have plenty of time to get good.

For perspective: DeKooning used to do something like 50 blind contour drawings a night while watching TV. Picaso did dozens, if not hundreds of studies before painting Guernika. Artists call it 'work' because that's what it takes to get good.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gooch i dont really have a clue as to critiquing installation work so i cant really help much.

ricecube its fine what you have. its just a sketch and theres not much more besides being a little neater with the font that needs work.

but thats more patience than i would have had.

hayabusa all your animals are pretty cool. the maya guys remind me of this guy Joe in Japan.

the characters look very similar. ill see if i can find a photo. im not accusing you of

biting ofcourse just similar style/influence. your cartoon characters are fine but tend to lack

a distinct style that would make them stand out. a style that would make it your own testicle monkey

and not somebody elses. needs more in the face.

bojangles thats tight. i agree i like it better than the abstract stuff. i dont know if you used spray as well but i like that the face has a 'dirty' texture.

This was the first portrait I've done in well over 10 years.

l_1a6b34b8df83dfe9a93dc80398d5d059.jpg

It's nice, but its missing something that makes it stand out. Maybe I am missing some kind of distinct style, or something, but that's completely understandable seeing it's your first portrait in 10 years. However, i prefer your abstract paintings. Those are awesome

You can definitely see that you have taken the time and effort and that alone is respected, its just me maybe but i can flip a page or see a painting and already attribute it to a certain genre like what that magazine has done. Im impressed when i see something where i cant really place it anywhere and that to me makes a piece of art. Although i like the more painterly feel of your work compared to artist's such as Damon Soule, or Jeff Soto. It still strikes a similiar chord.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input on the last page. That's probably the only portrait I'll be doing for awhile. Her actual photo was kind of an obsession of mine for awhile because of her unique features.

Dawood nice pieces as well. I think the last one is my fave. What size is it?

Here's a few more pieces that are off track from my abstracts as well.

A few variations of a mascot for a local company called Big Kid Pony:

l_6fba1c169234660d86eafdd2f3a9f9fc.jpg

l_283b14c55e115348d3c3ae34959a9ba0.jpg

l_42beeafc70f5d6d4a7dc115615cafee9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the collage is beautiful. the contrast between the b/w cutouts works really nice.

i think it could do without the exclamations and other embellishments though. the imagery is enough to communicate your idea. it's like underlining something that is already bold.

my 2 cents.