critique your shit

Poesia [ ] T

Here is a quick Thread i wanted to Make for anyone in Untitled wanted to put your up for critique or just to post. Mixed media, Oils Acrylics, Watercolors, portraits, realism, cartoons what not. You get the picture. Didnt want to say canvas thread or artwork thread in order to keep the garbage to a minimum. Studies are fine just make sure you accept the criticism well and gauge your self on level of work being represented.

Here are some of my friends works to start it off. Dont worry they donot have to be this level to post this is just the first post.

S7300324-1.jpg

S7300325.jpg

S7300329-1.jpg

S7300330-1.jpg

S7300331.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Work

1924317.jpg

1924314.jpg

this is basically my own stuff. all freestyled which works sometimes but more often than not comes off looking unbalanced.

5503613.jpg

6273368.jpg

6296695.jpg

these i used photos as my source.

i'm not some s&m freak but i guess this is my version of an artist's life

i want to paint all day but instead i have to go out and earn a living doing something I can't stand.

the artist world completley escapes me and i dont know the first thing about making a living in it.

5531206.jpg

1924323.jpg

King of Comedy series i've been working on

i don't usually post my own stuff so don't be too hard on me.

Im not one to critique figurative stuff much, ill leave to maybe Seeks or Koh. But im not really feeling the first couple of works maybe to much use of black. Or maybe there earlier work, the last one i think is the best one the realism is getting more believable. Plus the background is a good contrast.

One of my best friends the one i posted his work above is a professor at a JC, got his master in Figurative painting in New York. He was always pretty good, but he got better with time. His advice has always been practice be open to learning. He always starts with a muted palette in figures works them out.

Good work overall just keep that progression.

If you want to pick up a book try this one. I studied the figure never got good at it, but when i was younger i tried to try everything.

51EC72TV1XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

51BY0MEEZ1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

you can get them on amazon for like 5 or 8 bucks

thanks poesia.

the photo sources had no background and i was reluctant to add one.

the background is one of the most overlooked parts in artwork and

definitely something that i need to work on.

the redd foxx was actually my first attempt at a large scale portrait

and is much stronger than all the other ones that came after that one.

and thanks for the recommendations. i loved figure drawing in school but i never had time

to attend the extra sessions at night. now im just too lazy to drive into downtown but ive

been meaning to find a community college or even hire my own model if i ever set up my own studio.

The percentages of being successful in Art is almost like winning the lottery, so dont try to win anything. Just practice and through life try to keep progressing. One day you might look up and think damn have i really made it this far. Its not a race, be open to learn try not to give up or be influenced or intimated by people ahead of you in technique or skill.

There is a story about a couple of friends this Artist is one of them, We all sat around every day and in high school when we were young painted sketched. All down with same crew and all. At that age Art was all there was Life hadnt hit us yet. This Artist had great skill, but 2 of my other friends were better and everyone would think they were the shit. Long story short, my man who had the most skill dont even draw anymore he threw away all his art and became a recluse tried to sit in for a figure drawing class with this artist, and couldnt even come close to what he once was. Other guy had a family hardcore christian and just paints for church, the lesser talents were me and my other boy who is about to graduate from New york Art academy with masters. Talent only gets you so far, its the heart and drive that creates the character of an artist.

Ill try to post some of my other boys work, he is more like me intuitive artist we make the most of what little skill we got.

T;6020853']The percentages of being successful in Art is almost like winning the lottery, so dont try to win anything. Just practice and through life try to keep progressing. One day you might look up and think damn have i really made it this far. Its not a race, be open to learn try not to give up or be influenced or intimated by people ahead of you in technique or skill.

There is a story about a couple of friends this Artist is one of them, We all sat around every day and in high school when we were young painted sketched. All down with same crew and all. At that age Art was all there was Life hadnt hit us yet. This Artist had great skill, but 2 of my other friends were better and everyone would think they were the shit. Long story short, my man who had the most skill dont even draw anymore he threw away all his art and became a recluse tried to sit in for a figure drawing class with this artist, and couldnt even come close to what he once was. Other guy had a family hardcore christian and just paints for church, the lesser talents were me and my other boy who is about to graduate from New york Art academy with masters. Talent only gets you so far, its the heart and drive that creates the character of an artist.

Ill try to post some of my other boys work, he is more like me intuitive artist we make the most of what little skill we got.

thats inspiring to me since I'm riding in the same boat you were back in the day right now

Thanks.

Well, I don't think any one artist inspired me to pursue it, but I would have to say that seeing some of the other students at school going in that direction was an influence, it sort of put my mind in motion to venture out from 2-D work.

As far as other artists, I like Jac Leirner's stuff and I'm not going to lie, I have a lot of homework to do as far as research. I sort of don't want to look at other peoples stuff because I don't want to subconsciously draw from other peoples work, which in unavoidable at times.

This semester I think I am going to make a small box where in order to view/experience it, you will actually have to sit inside it and close a door. I want the space inside to be cramped and I want to incorporate sound in some way. I am sort of going to build on the last project, but make is smaller, so you have no choice but to feel claustrophobic.

The project I posted was supposed to be a representation of my mind. The chalked sets of 5 on the wall were representing the days of my life and how I feel that everyday is monotonous and almost as if I am in my own little prison. The string lights are supposed to represent synapses and thoughts flowing through my brain, tangled with my ideas, etc. I wanted the viewer to have to duck and weave through the wood and lights when they entered the room so as to give them the feel of me weaving through my own thoughts and mind. The rest of it is pretty cliché, as far as light bulbs and lights representing ideas, current, past, dead, etc..

So, hopefully I can strip all of that down into something a little more basic and raw.

i hate reposting pictures (more are in my thread on paper chase)

but i figure id share, since i know some ppl dont go to paper chase

here are the more artsy things ive done that i like

and some that are not so great

bemtevi_rescanned.jpg

joker_done1.jpg

maya_war1.jpg

going to maybe make them stickers

owl_done1.jpg

poop_throw_monkey.jpg

scan-1.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

frank_bw.jpg

i will try drawing more faces or people and see how it turns out

i have to date done almost no drawing from real life subjects

sometimes i feel like a fraud

usually when that happens i shut my self in my room and do mad graff n dance on papers

• Like 1

this is one called "still death"

17c4905f.jpg

im 15 and any advice from the more experienced artists would be greatly appreciated

general observation

1) That type doesn't really exist in the same "world" as the remote and the wallet. If you want to incorporate the script style, it has to be believable. Don't think of it as letters. They are just shapes that have effect the overall composition

2) Your starting to model, but it's not enough.

3) the black in the remote and the wallet need to be more opaque.Push your mediums a bit more.

4) There are also some minor problems with your proportion.

If you keep pushing it you may have potential. Check the following artists for drawing reference

Albrecht Durer, Goya, Delaquoix

general observation

1) That type doesn't really exist in the same "world" as the remote and the wallet. If you want to incorporate the script style, it has to be believable. Don't think of it as letters. They are just shapes that have effect the overall composition

2) Your starting to model, but it's not enough.

3) the black in the remote and the wallet need to be more opaque.Push your mediums a bit more.

4) There are also some minor problems with your proportion.

If you keep pushing it you may have potential. Check the following artists for drawing reference

Albrecht Durer, Goya, Delaquoix

alright man thanks for the advice. ive got a long way to go. if this thread is still alive, ill try to put up some new stuff and hopefully you could tell me what you think