Recession??

Stimme

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You're assuming a complete collapse of the American economy, which I really don't see happening. If it did however, owning gold wouldn't put you in any better position. I can't eat gold, I can't put gold over my head to keep me warm. You want to have value during a true depression, go learn a skill that you can trade for food.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one though. The sky isn't falling, it's just going to rain for a while.

You're assuming a complete collapse of the American economy, which I really don't see happening. If it did however, owning gold wouldn't put you in any better position. I can't eat gold, I can't put gold over my head to keep me warm. You want to have value during a true depression, go learn a skill that you can trade for food.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one though. The sky isn't falling, it's just going to rain for a while.

YOU CAN ALWAYS TRADE GOLD. it's been a staple currency for thousands of years, it's not going anywhere.

and yes, we are headed for a decline. check out the new cramer video (mad money guy)

http://www.forbes.com/finance/2008/01/22/monoline-bond-insurance-pf-ii-in_cc_0122soapbox_inl.html

http://business.scotsman.com/business/US-rates-39heading-for-2537.3699634.jp

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff01222008.html

I was planning on going to europe at the end of may. I think I am just going to save the $3k up and put it in stocks when the market gets to its lowest point. Sound like a good idea?

I was in Italy in October.....Got killed with the Euro.

I don't know how many of you live in NYC. For those that do, take a look around mid-town. I've never seen so many British and Europeans around Empire State Building. Over here we talk about possible recession... in Europe and other parts of the world.... They know we are in a recession. They can basically get goods at half price.

YOU CAN ALWAYS TRADE GOLD. it's been a staple currency for thousands of years, it's not going anywhere.

and yes, we are headed for a decline. check out the new cramer video (mad money guy)

http://www.forbes.com/finance/2008/01/22/monoline-bond-insurance-pf-ii-in_cc_0122soapbox_inl.html

http://business.scotsman.com/business/US-rates-39heading-for-2537.3699634.jp

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff01222008.html

The first two links I'll buy into, but neither one is screaming that the sky is falling. Cool, we'll have a recession. I never said we weren't, I said we weren't looking at an all out collapse. Ain't the first time, won't be the last time. I'm still young enough that I really don't need to panic about any of the investments I've made, they'll do just fine when the recovery starts.

As far as that last link...Lindorff doesn't have a whole lot of credibility in my book, so his dire predictions don't phase me all that much.

I've always wanted to buy gold. AOD, what's a good price to get gold right now? I know it's always fluctuating, but I've been dragging my feet on buying because I don't know if I'm getting ripped or not. You have any good links to reputable sites?

gold is through the roof right now bro...

i bought about 2 ounces back when it was about 650$ an ounce. yesterday gold was around 915$ an ounce. the last kruggerand i got a couple months ago, was 770$ an ounce. i think if you buy it now, buy on the dips, say wait till it falls back to like 880$. then the question comes forth... but is it going to dip. it probably will, but it might not stop or dip on its way to 1500$ an ounce. i really wish i would of backed the truck up at 650$ an ounce. eh, hindsight is 20/20.

but i think silver is still relatively low. i only have 1 oz coins because im an idiot, but the safest and best way to invest in silver is in pre 1964 quarters and dimes. if you like ebay, go on there and search for 'junk silver' people always have lots. and plus being old US coins are still recognizable as regular money.

i always read about these assholes who found 5 gallon buckets at relatives farms after they pass away full of coins from the 40's and 50's. they just found themselves a small fortune.

as for buying the stuff.... apmex.com is a huge online gold dealer and the only real dealer with a shopping cart function. other than that, i usually use ebay to eliminate the small commissions on the coins from dealers.

in reguards to john galt's post... when society emerges after a collapse i have little doubt gold and silver will once again rise to the top of the monies list. i sympathize with the idea that you cant eat gold but i reject it.

im a saver by nature. i see myself as pretty prepared for most things. atleast money wise. im hardly rich, but i do have atleast 6 months back up cash. im pretty close to having a 20% down payment on a house and that is in addition to other things like IRAS, gold, silver, blah blah.

i have atleast enough food for me and my wife for 6 months or 3 months if my family or a couple friends had to move in with me if SHTF.

but this is the advantage of gold. it is a highly portable means of wealth. it always has been money and probably always will be seen as wealth. its so engrained in our culture. when something is the best you say it is the 'gold standard.' it has never lost purchasing power. in the 20's a 20$ gold peice (1 oz) would buy you a top of the line suit or a good quality handgun. and it still will today but you have to transfer the gold into cash to use it because those idiots in DC made using gold as currency illegal.

but more realistically, gold is simply an inflation hedge. i wouldnt put all your money into it, after all during a recession or depression... cash is king. just make sure you have some on hand all the time. dont rule out bank runs... they are totally real possibilities.

thanks AOD, I was just looking at that ($915 an oz.) and checking the charts, damn. It's like, yeah, you don't want to buy now, but like you said...you never know when it's going up to $1500 an oz. I kick myself in the ass for not finding a reputable gold dealer when I was in the middle east. With the money conversion it has to be a get over when you buy gold overseas (not cheap junk from jewelers)

but the safest and best way to invest in silver is in pre 1964 quarters and dimes. if you like ebay, go on there and search for 'junk silver' people always have lots. and plus being old US coins are still recognizable as regular money.

That's what I've been doing for the last few months. All my spare money goes into that cheap silver (since I'm poor :o).

yeah, betting the farm on gold isnt a good thing. you shouldnt put your eggs all in one basket. like i said, im not some rich mofo, but i am pretty satisfied at what i have accomplished by not being a typical spend thrift 20 something year old. i dont go ape shit over new iphones (they are cool though, arent they?) and try to not eat out or throw money away on things other than typical living expenses and anything i buy, i try to have it be something that will hold its value. living frugally i guess you could say. but i have some precious metals, cash and savings accounts, roth ira's that are invested in stocks, and a good amount of tangible things that will hold thier value or go up.

im looking into opening a gold/precious metals ira with either fidelity or swiss america. swiss america literally holds your gold in bullion form in their vaults in switzerland. but i question how i will be getting to it if something happens.

i wouldnt go out and dump all your money you have and sell everything to buy gold. i would probably and am gonna probably buy some silver this weekend, if i can scrape up a couple hundred bucks.

but one thing is just about certain... no one ever went broke buying and holding gold. like you said, you might not be able to eat it, but gold has never lost its value.

dawood... this is a pretty good article. it was written by what most would consider a crazy christian gold bug, but i like the guy.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north596.html

• 1 month later...
  • 14 years later...

Europe is fucked. They've been helping us level economic sanctions against Putin for years, telling Putin exactly what they need from Russia by the things they won't dare sanction. Now they're getting a taste of their own medicine, and seem bewildered by the fact being anti free trade is never a good look. The demand for importing goods/services into Europe is skyrocketing, and the demand for exports from Europe to other places is slumped. Basically the things you buy with Euros for export are falling in demand, while the things Europeans need to import & buy from other places with foreign currencies is skyrocketing, thus the weakening Euro. Even the dollar is over inflated and slumping hard, so you know if the Euro is slumping worse these guys are fucked.

After years of economic warfare against Russia, they got a sneak attack this spring after China bought up all the grain 2 years in a row, and Russia said "no fertilizer for you" to both the U.S. and Europe this spring just before it was time to fertilize and plant. They're about to allow themselves to realize they're going to run out of food soon, after this fall's harvest number's come in. (The wise already know this). So these geniuses decided they're going to start fucking with their own farmers this summer like the economic illiterates they are.

If you think you're going to be OK because you're in the United States, you're wrong. The thing with food is, you'll trade your last piece of anything for food if you don't have any. So our own food supply, which is always sold to the highest bidder (imagine congress passing a law to starve Europe) is going to see massive export and price hikes here also. It will cost a little more in Europe due to the costs of actually shipping.

• Like 2