A new order of intelligence

Poesia [ ] T

"Defense network computers. New... powerful... hooked into everything, trusted to run it all. They say it got smart, a new order of intelligence. Then it saw all people as a threat, not just the ones on the other side. Decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination."

Terminator

Robots Evolve And Learn How to Lie

by Michael Abrams

Robots can evolve to communicate with each other, to help, and even to deceive each other, according to Dario Floreano of the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.

Floreano and his colleagues outfitted robots with light sensors, rings of blue light, and wheels and placed them in habitats furnished with glowing “food sources” and patches of “poison” that recharged or drained their batteries. Their neural circuitry was programmed with just 30 “genes,” elements of software code that determined how much they sensed light and how they responded when they did. The robots were initially programmed both to light up randomly and to move randomly when they sensed light.

To create the next generation of robots, Floreano recombined the genes of those that proved fittest—those that had managed to get the biggest charge out of the food source.

The resulting code (with a little mutation added in the form of a random change) was downloaded into the robots to make what were, in essence, offspring. Then they were released into their artificial habitat. “We set up a situation common in nature—foraging with uncertainty,” Floreano says. “You have to find food, but you don’t know what food is; if you eat poison, you die.” Four different types of colonies of robots were allowed to eat, reproduce, and expire.

By the 50th generation, the robots had learned to communicate—lighting up, in three out of four colonies, to alert the others when they’d found food or poison. The fourth colony sometimes evolved “cheater” robots instead, which would light up to tell the others that the poison was food, while they themselves rolled over to the food source and chowed down without emitting so much as a blink.

Some robots, though, were veritable heroes. They signaled danger and died to save other robots. “Sometimes,” Floreano says, “you see that in nature—an animal that emits a cry when it sees a predator; it gets eaten, and the others get away—but I never expected to see this in robots.”

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jan/robots-evolve-and-learn-how-to-lie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Why is it that we always make a movie about something that is obviously hazardous, then work towards achieving it...

Does any one remember in Demolition man when Sly discovers that Arnold is the president of the US? Sure enough... 8 or so years later he's the Governater... Arnold 2012, I'll put money on it right now.

Don't you know about the evil robot clones running around right now. They have already infiltrated its to late we are all going to die at the hands of the machines!

johnny5.jpg

Thirty.

Ding Ding.

Shit is about to pop off.

Between this sort of artificial evolution being created in the form of coding sequences and adaptable behavior control, and work on memory and meaning being done in the form of semantic webs and information on the internet, we are well on our way to seeing some crazy shit.

I would love to eventually find myself working in a firm or field where some of this stuff is being considered.

imagine a joint product between google, some semantic web researchers, robotics firms and research like this, and a few tech consultants.

oh man.

all the promises of science fiction will pay off in due time. We just needed to reach the point in the exponential increase of technologies that we have now before we can start combining the pieces to see what emerges from them all together.

-systemstheoryoner.

Why is it that we always make a movie about something that is obviously hazardous, then work towards achieving it...

Because we can duh. The really fun question is whether or not the intelligent beings we produce we be in a way in which we can control it and use it for our benefit, or whether it develops such an extensive self-awareness that it realizes its superiority and wipes us our OR hooks our dumb human asses up.

What I'm waiting for is my opportunity to completely transfer my 'data' to an external source and for all intents and purposes be immortal.