WTF is the point of amatuer radio?

SpyD

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my dad did the amateur radio thing for a couple of years. had the whole set up going, huge antenna and all. i never really figured out why the fuck he did it. he would just contact various people around the country, they would exchange call signs and that would be that. from what i remember the process of getting into it was really interesting but once it was all set up and figured out it got kind of boring. needless to say the ham radio stuff just kind of disappeared one day.

ham radio is the elderly peoples version of channel zero...

seriously...i used to pick up their conversations on my scanner.....most boring shit ever...theyd usually be talking about fishing.

This is pretty much it.

My next door neighbor is into it he's in his 70's. We talked about it one time. Basically he meets up with other ham radio operators every now and again and they talk about the places they've reached and messages they've intercepted. He told me once he got a SOS from a shipping freighter near India.

^^i would pick up random conversations on ham radio while trying to pick up cordless phone conversations on the people in my neighborhood...

they both run on low frequency, so it was easy to pick up either/or....

this reminds me...i need to find my scanner...i used to pick up all the police frequencies and listen to all the shit going down in my town...

this reminds me...i need to find my scanner...i used to pick up all the police frequencies and listen to all the shit going down in my town...

unfortunately, most systems in larger cities have moved to trunked 800mhz or digital systems (which will require a newer scanner). a number of communities are using encryption, in addition to the digital these days, making it pretty much impossible to monitor.

ham radio is the elderly peoples version of channel zero...

seriously...i used to pick up their conversations on my scanner.....most boring shit ever...theyd usually be talking about fishing.

Pretty much.My parents have a story.

I was young'n and my folks were driving down alligator alley in their bronco. There were a few people going back and forth on the CB. Everyone has a handle like they do on here "ie: Spitfire, Mar, Caligula, etc." So these peoples names were "Crankbait" "Jitterbug" and some other fishing lure. The conversation basically centered around some womans "..trip down to THE walmart to get a bite to eat."

unfortunately, most systems in larger cities have moved to trunked 800mhz or digital systems (which will require a newer scanner). a number of communities are using encryption, in addition to the digital these days, making it pretty much impossible to monitor.

yeah....my scanner is a trunking scanner...you can program it to pick up police frequencies...its similar to the scanners all the news stations use to pick up police channels to be the first on the scene to report the news.

but i mostly used it to listen to peoples phone conversations when i was bored....

i picked up a baby monitor frequency once and listened to a father get home from work and talk baby talk (goo goo gaa gaa) to his newborn....shit was funny.