when it's all said and done, modest mouse will probably be one of my favorite bands ever

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: when it's all said and done, modest mouse will probably be one of my favorite bands ev

i dont even know what a 'float on' is. i mean, i imagine i know the song, but i dont know a single title, or what album any of the stuff is on save for the last.

in 99 someone played 'one of the good things' for me. it was possibly the gayest song i'd ever heard up until that point and i immediately wrote the band off for the next 6 years. in 05 i was introduced to them again and realized i was totally wrong, that they were in fact awesome. i got into all of their stuff at the same time, so i have no clue what is what, or when its from. people talk about their drastic style change, but since i listened to it all at the same time, it just sounds like different songs to me so i dont notice. i have somehow only heard the 'one of the good things' song once since rediscovering them. it still fucking sucks and makes the pussy that i dont have ache with contempt for its non-existent self. they still rock though.

Re: when it's all said and done, modest mouse will probably be one of my favorite bands ev

Modest Mouse is really really great. First time I heard them was years and years ago on the Zero Mislead Youth video, and just thought Shit Luck was cool and never heard anything about them or by them for a few years. Then I ended up listening to the rest of Lonesome Crowded West and that was it for me. Isaac Brock's a really awesome lyricist and the their music in general is oddly catchy.

It sucks that every asshole in america jumped on the bandwagon after Float On was on every radio station ever, but the rest of that album is pretty solid regardless.

They put a bunch of videos on youtube from when they recorded Lonseom Crowded West. I think it's pretty safe to conclude from watching these that Isaac Brock is an absolute lunatic.

Here's the first one:

Dude Pat Graham has been touring with them for years and taking pictures of them while doing it: http://www.fecalface.com/SF/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=862&Itemid=27

• Like 1

I like the album Building Nothing out of Something, the song Broke particularly. Modest Mouse is really good, even though the last two albums where not. The newest album is not listenable, and Good News was just ok. Everything before that was great. I love Everywhere and his Nasty Parlor Tricks.

the moon & antartica is def my favorite gets a lot of play in my whip - paper thin walls always makes me smile and compliments the 'fuck, im glad work is done for the day' feeling very well.

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread, wish people would stop talking about when they started listening to the band though, and throw out there favorite lyrics! What makes them so great is the way a song seems like it is just a bunch jiberish and at first listen it seems to not make sense. Isaac explains it best in the song Here It Comes with the lyric "Make a point to make no sense"

A lot of Modest Mouse songs follow the same format. Each line makes perfect sense unto itself. Like an individual thought. Weaving these scattered thoughts into a song is sheer genius. Thats how you get hooked. All the songs have good tunes. The way isaac breaks his words up it's hard understand what he is really saying. So you listen to a song a hundred times to try to figure it out. Once you figure out the words you try to figure out what they mean. So you start singing them to yourself at home, at school, work, even in the shower. By then it's to late you are addicted. People see you walking aroud with a confused look of concentration on you face, mumbling incoherantly to youself. All on the sudden you are the crazy guy. You try to explain and make even less sense. "Freeze your blood and stab it into me" sounds kinda crazy out of context. Nevermind maybe thats just me.

I heard they're all addicted to heroin

They were real big users back then but believe they're off the heavy shit now.

From Lounge (Closing Time):

She was talking with syllable lisp

And everybody she knew was going to get the twist

And they all went down and did the porqupine

And everybody was feeling high

A little hidden heroin reference.:scrambled:

its all about sad sappy sucker album, amazing to say the least. im happy i could say i have seen them. but what sucked was all they did was play songs from there 2 newest cd's, which are not my favs. but it was still an amazing experience.

i actually really like their new stuff.

then again i love basicly all of their stuff.

the moon and antartica was an amazing album, i listen to that album daily.

oh and for those of you that havent checked out their new shit. its pretty good.

check out Little Motel

and Parting of the Sensory

the little motel music video basicly makes me wanna cry every time.

check it.

/nocrybabypussybitchoner.