I be brewing my own BERRRRRR!!

ClueTwo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydro- That looks like he has a good setup. From the carboy to the bottle tree, your boy must be into the hobby a little further than myself. What kind of beer were you bottling?

Casek- The porter you described sounds dope and a little easier to make. Did you buy a pre-packaged kit, or was this another "family" recipe?

Daily- Something doesn't sound right with your homie brewing in only 7 days. He would have to have some commercial equipment to brew that fast, but I could be wrong. What kind of beer did he brew?

it was a kit. well, a can. iron hammer porter. something hammer...whatever.

it's bubbling. i'm happy.

you could have a beer ready in seven days from the day you brewed it. you would however need to have a kegging system to force carbonate the beer. the fasted i do beers is usually with in 15-17 days this is if i want somthing quick.

i started a little blog with some of my recent beers with recipes and pictures.

http://moatwater.blogspot.com/

i have questions about light beers....when the porter is done, i'm making an australian pale ale and have heard alot of stories about light beers always failing....what's the deal?

Hydro- That looks like he has a good setup. From the carboy to the bottle tree, your boy must be into the hobby a little further than myself. What kind of beer were you bottling?

Year, he's been making beer for a few years and this was the first time he skipped the pre packaged stuff and did 75% of it from scratch. He knows a brewmaster so the yeast wasn't packaged, it was from one of the batches at the brewery.

Its a honey lager, i think. I was totally along for the ride on this batch, i cant remember

He made a jalapeno beer last time and goddamn, that was one of the best beers ive ever had.

We're cracking the new batch tomorrow, i'll report back.

i have questions about light beers....when the porter is done, i'm making an australian pale ale and have heard alot of stories about light beers always failing....what's the deal?

I think what your hearing about with light beer is when talking about lagers….Pilsners and other light lagers. This is mainly because these style of beers need to be fermented at specific temperatures and a few other specifics and there is not a whole lot of play in the temp range, if they ferment/lager outside of these ranges you get a completely different beer one usually with many off flavors and then people making up stories that their hard. If you have the proper equipment a light lager really is no different than making an ale.

In your case you should have no problems since you are making an ale. They are very forgiving and can ferment at all different temp ranges, each will have its own outcome in the end but anywhere from 60-75 degrees and your fine, As always watch sanitation.

Ok, so I bottled my beer last night ad now the hard part.

I've got four friends that all bought the same kit, different brews, and we're having a beer off on Super Bowl Sunday.

I need a name.

The beer is a German Oktoberfest, but the name can be whatever the hell I want obviously.

Gimme some ideas people..

I have been interested in makin my own brews for a while. The guy who drives the armored truck at work makes his own wine and hard cider, you boys ever get into that? Anyone know the difficulty level of making a stout?

A stout is no harder than the process described throughout the thread, just different ingredients. One of my buddies is making an Irish Stout (similar to Guinness). He used the exact same kit, with different ingredients and maybe some minor adjustments to the process.

I have been interested in makin my own brews for a while. The guy who drives the armored truck at work makes his own wine and hard cider, you boys ever get into that? Anyone know the difficulty level of making a stout?

stout and porters are the easiest to make... its all the same process but those specific beers are so dark and full flavored that its easier to mask any imperfections within the beer. for instance if you were making a wheat beer as i am and you didnt let it ferment in the right temperature like i did it comes out with an off taste because its a much lighter flavored beer.

stout and porters are the easiest to make... its all the same process but those specific beers are so dark and full flavored that its easier to mask any imperfections within the beer. for instance if you were making a wheat beer as i am and you didnt let it ferment in the right temperature like i did it comes out with an off taste because its a much lighter flavored beer.

i had an ale turn out kinda skunky. but porter is by far my favorite type of beer,

analpudding: who looks familiar?

vanfullof: the fermentation takes care of that, or you can inject co2 after fermentation, so you don't ahve to wait on the bottles to ferment more and carbonate.

stout and porters are the easiest to make... its all the same process but those specific beers are so dark and full flavored that its easier to mask any imperfections within the beer. for instance if you were making a wheat beer as i am and you didn't let it ferment in the right temperature like i did it comes out with an off taste because its a much lighter flavored beer.

That's whats up. This may become my new favorite thread when I get a kit. I'm officially convinced. Dark beers are my favorite, and it's definitely time I make my own.