NYC Subways - the good stuff-Best thread on 12 oz!

desism_ktc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: NYC Subways - the good stuff

5 Wholecars! Would like to hear the stories behind these photos...Wholecars1.jpg

Ok the story on this was this was the second attempt to doing a wholetrain at 57st layups. The first mission in Autumn of 1987 went unsuccessful when the motorman and conductor came and pulled the train out in the middle of what we were doing. They workers were actually cool and gave us a few minutes to let us throw quick outlines on it. Ghost however jumped inside the train as they went to pull it out and pulled two emergency brakes just to give us a few more minutes to try and complete as much as possible. I remenber the motorman telling us they had a job to do and that they didnt want to call the police on us but were going to have to if we did it again. So we repsected that and left. This hurried mess was a result of that sitaution.

venwc4smek2.jpg

The pictures you are asking about was the second attempt to pull a 10 wholecar train off. This was done right before X-mas 1987 . On this mission it was Ghost, Tekay , Ven , Omni , Wane & Sento. This mission went uncomplete because we ran out of paint. That left the completion of 8 1/2 cars wholecars. Just when it was bad enough to run out of paint things got worse. The whole crew left except for Sento who decided to stay. While he was down there finishing up on his wholecar , 357 crew rolled in. At the time RIS had war with 357. This resulted in RD and crew crossing out four seperate cars painted by Ghost, Ven & Omni cars. Omni wasnt RIS but also had beef with 357. After 357 left Sento tried to fix up the Ven but it was too ragged to fix with the limted amount of paint Sento had left.. They totally destroyed the Omni piece and Ghost had some lines through his pieces. The next day the train made one in service trip to Coney Island where it was then taken to the yard where the set was broken up and the windows clean. These shots were at the the base of the track that goes in the yard. The train sat that for quite awhile while we scaled the fence and got more closer shots.

A few months down the road RIS & 357 put and to their differences. This would create a finsihed whole train between 357/RIS. The first finished 10 whole car train since Lee did it back in 1977. This was done on Easter 1988.

No problems on the telling some stories behind some of the pics. One thing is I don't want to divert this thread into my storytelling adventures. So I might skip out some conversation unless I feel like giving some props to writers who were underrated

and maybe just maybe one day I will do a book on graff from the way I saw it from my camera lense back then.

Incredible, so many classics, definitely tugs at the heartstrings ! I vividly remember all those fresh SAK burners on the 1's, those QK fills with the faces, those lovely white surfaces. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing those jewels. Who's holding all the classic VINNY flix ??

No problems on the telling some stories behind some of the pics. One thing is I don't want to divert this thread into my storytelling adventures. So I might skip out some conversation unless I feel like giving some props to writers who were underrated

and maybe just maybe one day I will do a book on graff from the way I saw it from my camera lense back then.

Nah I think us old timers cracking tales about the old days will definitely spark an interest on those that read this thread, it adds to the era that we were part of...

like this old man dating the daughter of one VS Elite members named Mr. LesnewSKI :)

photo credit goes to me on that damp t2b labrat! just to let you know who took that photo. i can believe how much of my photo's are on the internet. thats what i get for being a nice guy. i been pimped like a 2 dollar hoe.

cavs

Thanks all for sharing. I like the stories behind the photos. Since I am under 30 I cannot remember seeing the trains done up in NYC, but this is the next best thing. Beats traveling to NYC and taking a glimpse of older writers that were nice enough to share :) . So thanks for everyone that took the photos and everyone posting.

Does anyone have more of LEE's whole cars? I only seen a handful of his work, but I am interested in seeing more if they are out there. He had a dope interview in Mascots and Mugs book where he talked about why he did a lot of his whole cars.

Peace.