Re: ALBUM TRADER

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shai_hulud

Whether posting links to copyrighted content is illegal or not is beside the point.

The point is that the MPAA and RIAA are putting TONS of pressure on ISPs within US jurisdiction (and in the case of Pirate BAy and Demonoid, BEYOND their jurisdiction) that host sites with content they deem harmful to their interests (read, money and political influence).

Raven did what any other smart administrator would do. He saw something posted that could potentially shut his forum down, and did something about it regardless of his feelings on the matter. He didn't take a stand and say, "Fuck you, Johnny Law!!!" even though he could have, but that would risk 12 oz. and possible huge legal headaches and kicks in the wallet down the road.

If you guys don't like shit like this happening, start writing letters to your congressman. Ask them who donates money to their campaign fund. Write letters to the RIAA and MPAA telling them they're wrong to harass people and companies into compliance with their agenda. Support p2p and torrents (just not here, haha). Tell people about this issue, make a stink.

No, they (the MPAA) CAN mess with him. The very nature of this site requires a lot more discretion about certain issues, and he can't allow us to trade links if he knows about it.

Raven isn't advocating vandalism, he's providing a forum for people to document and discuss graffiti and other topics. That's what he could say if he were taken to court over any of the content on the board.

However, even providing links to copyrighted content, regardless of the locatrion of the content, is enough to get you shut down nowadays. Look at Demonoid, and TV-Links...two of my favorite sites are gone, over this very same issue.

Raven did the right thing, even though I think the reasons why he had to do it are shitty.

I respect your opinion, and i understand why Raven shut it down, But if linking to copyrighted material is illegal then are they gonna shut down Google, Yahoo, and YouTube? I think not.

The MPAA's logic is totally fucked.

anyways im done with this now.

thanks for the fun.

you see how you used to be able to watch any music video ever made on youtube, now half of them shits are "pulled due to a copyright claim by __________"

the big companys work with the mpaa/riaa because they share the same interests

i think it was important to shut the thread down because it only opens up 12oz to victimization by the cops/courts.

Guest shai_hulud
I respect your opinion, and i understand why Raven shut it down, But if linking to copyrighted material is illegal then are they gonna shut down Google, Yahoo, and YouTube? I think not.

anyways im done with this now.

You raised a really good point. There's a lot of content out there that's illegal that can be linked to through search engines...but, as big and out of control as the RIAA and the MPAA have gotten, they aren't big enough or dumb enough to go after Google/Youtube or Yahoo.

I know that a lot of video hosting sites are getting really strict about copyrighted content, and pulling anything down as soon as the copyright holder makes a complaint to them.

They do this in order to survive. As long as they deal with anything brought to their attention in a timely fashion, it keeps them in the clear. There are still video hosting sites in China where you can watch a lot of TV shows and movies for free, but that could change...although I doubt it.

This is something that I've been telling people about for a while, but it takes little things like Raven pulling down links to share sites for most people ]on 12 oz. to feel the issue personally.

I won't say that anyone should go out and DL music, but it's still out there, a lot of it is free and it's really not a big risk as an individual to use p2p or torrents as long as they're smart about it.

not to team up against you guys or anything, but it is in our best interest that raven did what he did.

we want him spending money on giving us all x-mas presents and letting us joy ride in poesia's vette, not spending dough on an attorney and blogging about it on his one page blog because 12oz was shut down by the mpaa.

The thread should stay opened.

Without the content though. It could just be used to put people on to certain albums. A lot of shit I saw in that thread I've never even heard of before or probably would never if it wasn't for that thread.

So what I'm basically saying is. Just let people post the album names or art or some shit, maybe even the title, with maybe a link to a website that has like streaming mp3's of tracks off the album. Then people could figure out their own ways to obtain the music, illegally.

^___^

The thread should stay opened.

Without the content though. It could just be used to put people on to certain albums. A lot of shit I saw in that thread I've never even heard of before or probably would never if it wasn't for that thread.

So what I'm basically saying is. Just let people post the album names or art or some shit, maybe even the title, with maybe a link to a website that has like streaming mp3's of tracks off the album. Then people could figure out their own ways to obtain the music, illegally.

^___^

Its called the "What Are You Listening To" Thread

• Like 1

I don't really travel into that thread much, because when I would check it out the only thing I see is a single song that people happen to be listening to at that very moment.

I don't know if it's still like that but whatever.

I usually post albums

There used to be a music recommendation thread...maybe we should dig it up

I'm just glad that the thread existed in the first place so I could learn how to get music for myself. I, for one, had no idea about how to grab endless amounts of music off the web aside from torrents and limewire until I found this thread.

THX ALBUM TRADER. FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH. RIP