Electronic Dance Music - Appreciation Thread /NO HOMO

WorldBench

my boy who's been living in italy for the past few years put me on to dubstep last summer. i gotta say, it's some of the most interesting and innovative music i've heard in grip. homie hooked me up with so much of the shit when he came to visit that i still havent gotten through half of it.

this rusko mix is intense:

http://digitalife.net/ill1/Rusko_MEGAMIX.mp3

check out burial's 2 releases, too. the latest from him is hells of impressive.

i also put up "dubstep allstars vol. 4" by youngsta and hatcha (2 disc) in album trader, if anyone's interested.

other than dubstep, i've been rocking out a lot of electro house, tech house, and minimal techno due to my old roomate being a dj and somehow he got me into this shit. it's a huge departure for me from the shit i used to listen to and most of my friends think i'm off my rocker. seriously though, i was real bored with just about everything contemporary and this electronic shit is the only music i find interesting for shit that's happening these days.

totally feel you on that. i was going through a 2 year music slump before a friend filled me in on this.

dubstepforum.com

subfm.com

streamizm.com

dopelabs.fm

some good places to find mixes/archives/live sets.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loetech set on streamizm from late october. some straight heat.

http://www.loetech.ca/streamizm/streamizm103007pt1.mp3

http://www.loetech.ca/streamizm/streamizm103007pt2.mp3

skream and artwork december 19

http://www.mediafire.com/?5tji5ydb2ox

DNB MIX KUJO+Discilpe13 Atlanta crew 180degrees

http://180degreesatl.com/audio/mixes/kujo_disciple13_august_mix.mp3

First let me note..

NO:

HAPPY HARDCORE

ACID

JUNGLE

ETC.. No Rave Music

first off, you say "no rave music" but most of the music you're posting is "rave" shit. teisto sucks the big fucking dick, and so does armin van burren. i'm not trying to start shit with you communist, i believe strongly in personal opinion, i'm just voicing mine. a lot of the stuff you posted on the first page, consists of what the meathead club scene flocks too. it's like they don't know enough about the music, so they just follow what the rest of the meatheads started following when the "rave" scene was dying.

and to say no "jungle?" seriously --if you want to start a electronic music appreciation thread, and say no jungle, then this shit should be closed. maybe you're too young, or weren't paying attention, to remember when jungle was good. the ragga jungle of the early to mid 90's is far better than any teisto cd --once again, matter of opinion.

i agree with you on happy hardcore shit. that stuff needs to be done with and forgotten. as for acid? i don't know man, i can listen to some Terry Mullan mixes now and again. the dude was pretty tight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fucken No Kidding

Where were you in 92 communist?

You can't just blast all the shit that

has built the foundations of contemporary

dance music. I don't like all of it either but

everything has it's time and place good or bad.

You'll realize that one day when you're giving

away all your Tiesto CD's.

i just read the rest of this thread, and it's good to see people showing appreciation for this shit. i got into alot of this music through a girl i met over 10 years ago. she was into that rave shit, and i was really into her, so i ended up getting into it. the relationship with both her and the rave scene lasted two years. after that i became really fucking bitter towards ravers, but not so much the music i liked.

IOU i'm with you on the detroit shit. if you get a chance, check out this dvd:

IMG000000613.jpg

it's just video of him mixing, which can get boring. i used to put it on, smoke weed, draw, and look up every once and a while to see what was going on. there is a sick live production during one of the mixes.

i have a good sized collection of deep house, which most people consider "yes/homo." i'm not really into the frankie knuckles, nyc vocal diva, kind of stuff. i'm more of a fan of the detroit/chicago house. to me, house music is fucking straight up funky soul based electronic music. moodyman, kevin yost, robin hood, pete moss, to name a few.

it's funny because i did a weekly for almost two years. i mostly catered to b-boys, so i mostly played original breaks and hip hop. but whenever we threw down deep house, these dudes would go fucking nuts over it. also, capoeira (sp?) heads can fucking rock it to house music like no other.

if you're into house, there are some good mixes on this site, you just have to weed through the lame shit.

http://www.deephousemix.com/

sorry for the longwinded emails. i'm home visting fam for the holidays. i've got nothing to do, and drank way too much coffee.

Happy to have Found This..Lets say I started Raving back in 1987-88 in the U.K. During the Acid House Scene-That was Blown up by the bad press. Used To be no cell Phones back in the day... Not knowing where the Rave was going to happen with no mobile phones and internet Was part of the Fun-Trying to out do the Pigs before they blocked the roads..You just had to phone numbers on the back of flyer's using street phones etc..to phone other numbers, then you would meet up in a garage somewhere, among other people-Then Follow the cars to the warehouse or field where the rave was..As long, as there was enough people there and the Rave was Rocking. The Police couldn't do Shit really.

Good old Days..Will have to up some tunes..-Kerri chandler Rocks it..

Not into Trance/Happy hardcore..Tunes are weak..IMO-But Everybody as their own tastes in music. It would be One boring world if everyone listened to the same shit.

Yeah man Good to see this shit man..Word!! ..:scrambled:

Pz.

i just read the rest of this thread, and it's good to see people showing appreciation for this shit. i got into alot of this music through a girl i met over 10 years ago. she was into that rave shit, and i was really into her, so i ended up getting into it. the relationship with both her and the rave scene lasted two years. after that i became really fucking bitter towards ravers, but not so much the music i liked.

IOU i'm with you on the detroit shit. if you get a chance, check out this dvd:

IMG000000613.jpg

it's just video of him mixing, which can get boring. i used to put it on, smoke weed, draw, and look up every once and a while to see what was going on. there is a sick live production during one of the mixes.

i have a good sized collection of deep house, which most people consider "yes/homo." i'm not really into the frankie knuckles, nyc vocal diva, kind of stuff. i'm more of a fan of the detroit/chicago house. to me, house music is fucking straight up funky soul based electronic music. moodyman, kevin yost, robin hood, pete moss, to name a few.

it's funny because i did a weekly for almost two years. i mostly catered to b-boys, so i mostly played original breaks and hip hop. but whenever we threw down deep house, these dudes would go fucking nuts over it. also, capoeira (sp?) heads can fucking rock it to house music like no other.

if you're into house, there are some good mixes on this site, you just have to weed through the lame shit.

http://www.deephousemix.com/

sorry for the longwinded emails. i'm home visting fam for the holidays. i've got nothing to do, and drank way too much coffee.

Crazy shit. Watching work three tables in the mix three channels always up.. Dude puts in serious work.

Check the Mixtrader.. I'm gonna post some mixes

Yo Mills has been rocking 3 anything for evs. Used to have a reel to reel

going and two decks. Dude mixes super rapid fire and crazy & chopped

up. I love it. Always have. I like the nice long smooth transition mixing

but the quick mixing with so many sound sources is a really cool

operation to be running. This guy never stops being fresh.

And really it is a Detroit trademark. Changing up tempos styles and all that noise. Those cats can rock parties proper too bad Japan and Germany are the only cats who appreciate them.

I downloaded a mix from Kerri Chandler at the South Port Weekender I believe where he rocks three Reel to Reel decks. Crazy. Straight analog sound. Seen Harvey use Reel to Reel for echo fx as well. He is another sick player as well as Francois K.

Oh man you named Japan and I remembered this home video

some Japanese friends had taken when home at Club Yello(sp?).

Anyways dude is three levels underground the place is packed

and going totally fucken bonkers. Reel to reel and three decks

with this big ass like 16 channel mixer with a dj mixer in front. Shit was

tight. Blasting through the techno of the day (94-95) a minute a plate

about. Dope really changed the way I was looking at the tables myself.

Really amazing energy and intensity.

Yo Word up

Original Nutter!!!!!!1!!!!!!

i've got like three different mixes of that track. one of them is an almost trip hopped out version. it's pretty good.

drum n' bass/jungle WAS the shit. sometimes i would drop a few old school tracks, and every time i'd get at least one person coming up all psyched. that shit brings back good memories for a lot of people.

Oh man you named Japan and I remembered this home video

some Japanese friends had taken when home at Club Yello(sp?).

Anyways dude is three levels underground the place is packed

and going totally fucken bonkers. Reel to reel and three decks

with this big ass like 16 channel mixer with a dj mixer in front. Shit was

tight. Blasting through the techno of the day (94-95) a minute a plate

about. Dope really changed the way I was looking at the tables myself.

Really amazing energy and intensity.

What DJ?

I know that when FK goes and David Mancuso play.. They break out special equipment for them that other are not allowed to touch. True love for the spirit of it all..

Sound waves..

Yo and why haven't we heard Frankie Bones up in this convo yet.

That dude brought Detroit to Brooklyn fused it with freestyle breaks

layered it with acid lines and IT took him to England and he brought

the Rave back to the Eastcoast.

Dude makes good trax man.

AND he used to rock trains.

IOU

Thank you my man.

I heard about a year ago Frankie was doing it oldschool

map point to a warehouse style again.

The story was great cause it was some kids who never went to

raves or anything like that talking about it like it was the most

amazing night of their life. And this girl was like the Dj was doing all

this ny talking on the mic. I just shouted Frankie Bones in her face and

she was like how did you know!!!!!

Ha ha.

Yo party people ya lookin healthy out there!

• Like 1

Francois K is an amazing DJ who I will go see anytime. I've witnessed things from him that most cats can't even get with. Going from hard pounding techno straight into disco then into War - Slipping Into Darkness.. Without ever losing the floor. Playing dub, jungle, jazz. The guy is top notch.

IOU

Thank you my man.

I heard about a year ago Frankie was doing it oldschool

map point to a warehouse style again.

The story was great cause it was some kids who never went to

raves or anything like that talking about it like it was the most

amazing night of their life. And this girl was like the Dj was doing all

this ny talking on the mic. I just shouted Frankie Bones in her face and

she was like how did you know!!!!!

Ha ha.

Yo party people ya lookin healthy out there!

I never hate on the new cats. They are having the time of their lives and theres no reason to hate on that. I think its great when cats discover something new to them.

I got the chance to hang out with Frankie and his brother one night when he played the club I worked at. The guy is a fucking character to the bone. Had me fucking rolling. Real cool cat. My friend was luck enough to open for him. Bones fucking destroyed the club that night. People didn't wanna leave. Good times.