Reefer Madness

thesteelrod

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

betamines.jpg

what ever happened to these CARS?

This was the only thing i can find, got it on SPFE Reefers forum...

The UPFE ( Union Pacific Fruit Express ) series will never become full--those cars are disappearing surprisingly fast, becoming ARMN 700000-series cars or being retired. As for the old SPFE cars, the ones that weren't sold or transferred at various times also were relettered UPFE (and some ARMN by now).

With more of the big ARMN reefers coming on line now (series 110500-110749), it's probably a matter of not too much more time before the only UPFE cars left will be the 23000-series big ones built in the late 1990s.

The January 2005 Equipment Register shows five SPFE and something over 2400 UPFE reefers of all types remaining. I didn't attempt to add up the ARMN cars. (ARTX, forget about--they don't exist, and likely won't ever.)

According to UP there will be about 2600 ARMN reefers by December 2006, excluding the 110000 series. That means that currently there must be more UPFE than ARMN reefers. I am suprised, out here the ARMN reefers seem to outnumber the UPFE reefers.

• Like 1