Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DM!

Knives

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@username--no problem..even though your a juggalo, youre still an oontzer so ima help out with info.

@everyone else-- i was looking for spyderco balisongs...weren't they the company that got in trouble for shipping balisongs in the u.s. and had to pay some sort of fine?

also, i went into woodcraft (the store) and saw that they had spyderco stones for honing for sale...has anyone ever honed a blade with their stones? how are they?

nevermind on the first question...i googled it and was right:

In some U.S. states it is illegal to possess and/or carry such a knife in public. In certain jurisdictions, butterfly knives are categorized as a "gravity knife", "switchblade", or "dagger" although they are also occasionally outlawed by name ("butterfly knife"). The knife is illegal in California if blade length exceeds two inches. In a recent US Federal Court case, Spyderco, Inc. pleaded guilty and was fined $75,000 for sending butterfly knives through the United States Postal Service. Spyderco admitted that from June 2005 through January 2007, it had mailed butterfly knives, after importing the knife components from Taipei, Taiwan, through the Port of San Francisco and the Port of Oakland, to Golden, Colorado.

haven't used a spyderco brand stone, are they different than any other kind of stone?

were they whet stones or mineral oil types?

i use a good carbon steel for general upkeep and a tristone i got for 20 bucks at an asian shop.

That Chill is more of a piece of shit than I thought it would be.

haven't used a spyderco brand stone, are they different than any other kind of stone?

were they whet stones or mineral oil types?

i use a good carbon steel for general upkeep and a tristone i got for 20 bucks at an asian shop.

according to the website:

Spyderco sharpening stones are ceramic stones but unlike man-made Japanese water or ceramic stones, Spyderco's stones require no lubrication of any kind.

• No oil
  • No water
  • No slurry
  • Best of all, no mess

The medium (brown) stones have a grain structure ideal for quick stock removal such as re-shaping a blade or removing nicks and because of this unique grain structure, will show wear over time or with heavy use.

The fine and ultra fine (white) stones do not wear at all and have a grain structure that excels polishing the edge of any steel.

Spyderco stones do not require any special maintenance such as flattening, simply an occasional cleaning with any powered cleanser is all that's needed to refresh the surface and keep these stones in top shape.

Bench Stones

• Spyderco bench stones are flat (guaranteed within .020) and broad (2" x 8").
  • Ideal for sharpening and polishing a wide variety of tools from chisels to plane blades.
  • Each stones comes packed in a rigid polymer case with rubber feet that protects the stone and provides a base for table top use.

link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020254/Spyderco-Sharpening-Stones.aspx

is the tristone japanese?

• Like 1

interesting.

i would love to try them but i'm not dropping 150 for a stone set.

yeah my tristone is japanese. its not at all high end, but for home use (and knowing how to use stones well) it does great.

• Like 1

i want to get a good Naniwa set but its going to set me back about $260 ($86 for the 1k grit and 174 for the 5k, 8k and 12k grits)...im going to have to save up. :(

there are tons of people that will hone them.....they charge around $15 to $20.

if you dont want to hone it yourself, i would definitely go with lynn abrams from straight razor designs/straight razor place

link:

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/razor-sharpening/razor-sharpening-service

i read somewhere that he has honed over 40,000 straight razors...dont know how accurate that is, but even 5,000 is a lot.

*edit

sorry...i came back and reread you posting about where to get stones and not honing services (chicken was in the oven so i read your post too fast)...

same website sells stones for honing straight razors:

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/the-sharpening-center

also, this site:

http://thesuperiorshave.com/Coticules.html

the woodcraft stores also sell stones:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1004026/Water-Stones.aspx

a lot of straight edge razor users swear by the norton stones...you can pick up a 4k/8k combo stone as well as some finer grit stones.

recently picked up a NIB norton oil tri-stone for $50. (usually 190+ new)

i'll probably never use it, but i've loved using them in restaurants i've worked in.

360530257_470.jpg

dont mean to interrupt the conversation... but dont buy this knife. if you get it as a gift, use it. its got nice weight to it (thing i liked the best about it) and holds a decent edge. but the screws holding the clip on fell off withing 48 hours. i was pissed

those stones on that site are professional tools, why would you even consider buying them unless its your livelyhood. i use my grandfathers lawn mower stone from before i was born and it does everything i need it too. theres no reason for all that fancy shit unless you are a chef or a butcher. then again i hate shaving so i hadent considered that want or need

How about because it makes you happy?

No point buying Montana or Belton unless you're a pro-artist. Might as well stick to $2 low pigment Chinese crap.

Similar argument.

i see what you are trying to do there but i also think that people "just having fun" should rock with dollar cans and are doing themselves a disservice by throwing thier money into something they cant possibly fully utelize or appreciate. people some how think they are gonna be better if they use better equipment but in reality they are just skipping out on the learning curve and wasting time and money. unless you have practiced with dollar cans for a decade you arent gonna fully appreciate or utelize what trendy graffiti paint can do. same goes for everything else in life, unless you put your time in on a little shitty boy scouts pocket stone you are just gonna ruin a nice stone and not even know what your doing wrong and therefor never get better, you feel me

Yeah, I understand what you are saying and I agree to a point.

However I think you can still be an enthusiast that knows how to use tools properly, enjoys the the item for it's beauty/technology/quality alone without wasting the item on a pleb, so to speak.

I think this is going to be my next purchase. I want the Spyderco Paramilitary but cannot justify the price difference between it and the Spyderco Tenacious below.

122ps.jpg

Anybody had one before?

actually a friend of mine just got one.

good feel to it, but what bothers me is that stamp on the back of the blade...

i'd say get on ebay and find an AMERICAN made spyderco

Good eye, I thought only the Byrds were China made. Turns out "The Tenacious is the first main line Spyderco® to be made in China." Still, for the price...sad but true.

I don't even need a new knife...

those stones on that site are professional tools, why would you even consider buying them unless its your livelyhood. i use my grandfathers lawn mower stone from before i was born and it does everything i need it too. theres no reason for all that fancy shit unless you are a chef or a butcher. then again i hate shaving so i hadent considered that want or need

some of the straight razors that people use are nice (and expensive) razors..why risk damaging them with just any old abrasive stone?

if it was a junk straight razor bought off ebay for $35 (gold dollar straight razors) i wouldnt care, but some nicer razors can run anywhere from $150-$600 (and even more depending on the etching and gold wash or steel quality--like damascus)...also some razors are antique blades (i have a restored straight razor thats a little over 100 years old)...why risk ruing it with shitty stones?:confused:

i don't like the spray paint analogy.

do you buy your nice clothes from walmart? buy knives or tools made in china? buy shoes from pay-less? do you drive a kia?

i doubt it. i buy quality clothes, tools, knifes, shoes, everything else because if i put money into ANYTHING i want it to last, i treat it as an investment. like cali-G said, proper maintenance is going to help maintain your investment's value.

now if you buy a nice stone to sharpen a gas station knife, yeah, you're a fucking moron.

• Like 1

yea i do buy chinese shit tools when they come with a five year warranty and yes alot of my clothes come from walmart. its about need and application, do you have a need that will justify spending what you spend. other than that solingen razor last page this is all gussied up 440. the investment value is based on hype alone. there are a couple decent stainlesses though 154CM is tough, like the ontario knives blackbird. but what your saying is that if you got some ikea furniture you would buy a hilti to put it together instead of the allen wrench that came with it cause you gotta flex on the consumerism or something

no. but sort of.

what i'm saying is that i would rather not buy the ikea shit in the first place, and i already own a couple decent drills that will last me for years to come for hundreds of projects.

but i should clarify. by treating things i buy as an investment i do not mean i expect to get money back on them, i mean i expect them to last my lifetime. not that everything i can buy is going to be any sort of heirloom.

i do see what you're saying, and i don't think my standpoint is one of pro-consumerism.

if your grandfather's lawnmower stone works for you, thats awesome--i love shit like that, it lasted him his life, and will for you. you truly cannot beat that as long as you're getting the results you want in sharpening.