Knives

DM!

i see what you are trying to do there but i also think that people "just having fun" should rock with dollar cans and are doing themselves a disservice by throwing thier money into something they cant possibly fully utelize or appreciate. people some how think they are gonna be better if they use better equipment but in reality they are just skipping out on the learning curve and wasting time and money. unless you have practiced with dollar cans for a decade you arent gonna fully appreciate or utelize what trendy graffiti paint can do. same goes for everything else in life, unless you put your time in on a little shitty boy scouts pocket stone you are just gonna ruin a nice stone and not even know what your doing wrong and therefor never get better, you feel me

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 3 weeks later...
those stones on that site are professional tools, why would you even consider buying them unless its your livelyhood. i use my grandfathers lawn mower stone from before i was born and it does everything i need it too. theres no reason for all that fancy shit unless you are a chef or a butcher. then again i hate shaving so i hadent considered that want or need

some of the straight razors that people use are nice (and expensive) razors..why risk damaging them with just any old abrasive stone?

if it was a junk straight razor bought off ebay for $35 (gold dollar straight razors) i wouldnt care, but some nicer razors can run anywhere from $150-$600 (and even more depending on the etching and gold wash or steel quality--like damascus)...also some razors are antique blades (i have a restored straight razor thats a little over 100 years old)...why risk ruing it with shitty stones?:confused:

i don't like the spray paint analogy.

do you buy your nice clothes from walmart? buy knives or tools made in china? buy shoes from pay-less? do you drive a kia?

i doubt it. i buy quality clothes, tools, knifes, shoes, everything else because if i put money into ANYTHING i want it to last, i treat it as an investment. like cali-G said, proper maintenance is going to help maintain your investment's value.

now if you buy a nice stone to sharpen a gas station knife, yeah, you're a fucking moron.

• Like 1

yea i do buy chinese shit tools when they come with a five year warranty and yes alot of my clothes come from walmart. its about need and application, do you have a need that will justify spending what you spend. other than that solingen razor last page this is all gussied up 440. the investment value is based on hype alone. there are a couple decent stainlesses though 154CM is tough, like the ontario knives blackbird. but what your saying is that if you got some ikea furniture you would buy a hilti to put it together instead of the allen wrench that came with it cause you gotta flex on the consumerism or something

no. but sort of.

what i'm saying is that i would rather not buy the ikea shit in the first place, and i already own a couple decent drills that will last me for years to come for hundreds of projects.

but i should clarify. by treating things i buy as an investment i do not mean i expect to get money back on them, i mean i expect them to last my lifetime. not that everything i can buy is going to be any sort of heirloom.

i do see what you're saying, and i don't think my standpoint is one of pro-consumerism.

if your grandfather's lawnmower stone works for you, thats awesome--i love shit like that, it lasted him his life, and will for you. you truly cannot beat that as long as you're getting the results you want in sharpening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

fixed or folding, cali?

Griptilians are great EDCs, but Benchmade makes so much cool shit its hard to recommend without knowing what you carry now, or want to carry, or what you're looking for in a knife.

What do you like your handles to be made of?

What kind of laws are you dealing with that limit what you can buy?

Blade length?

Overall weight--do you like heavy knives or prefer lighter stuff?

I was looking for a folding blade.

sturdy handles that wont get damaged with moisture.

im dealing with california laws...so blade length is limited...cant even get an automatic or gravity knife (if that was the case, i would have already bought a balisong years ago from benchmade)..but spring assisted knives are allowed...but i want a nice folding knife.

if i dont buy a benchmade, i might go with kershaw.

i like heavier studier knives for everyday use, and when i go out to the river.

that griptilian looks nice though.

i'd push you towards the benchmade barrage, onslaught, or presidio (or the mini versions of each.

i like griptilians, but they're not heavy enough for me, i like weight to my knives.

find a shop that sells them so you can handle before you buy, imo. and then shop online and save yourself a shit ton.

kershaw is 50/50. their locking mechanism breaks more easily than it should. i've had it go on 2 knives. but i know people who've carried the same leek or scallion for a couple years with no issue. maybe i'm hard on shit.

oh shit. i was thinking california was 3.5" not 3"

onslaught and presidio are both out then.

mini barrage is still an option, though weight is pretty similar to the griptilian. and you have more blade and color options with griptilian.

anything against spyderco (w/ seki blades)?