windows: windows updates are security threats

madsencarl

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

f your computer is set to apply DEP to all programs and services, the DEP error message will have a Change Settings button. If an update to the program is not available, follow these steps to add an exception for the program from the DEP error message: 1.When you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, click Change Settings.2.Click to select the check box next to the program, and then click Apply. 3.When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK two times, and then restart your system.

You can also add an exception for the program by using System Properties in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:1.Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK. 2.Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.3.In Performance Options, click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Add.4.In the Open dialog box, locate and then click the program.5.Click Open, click Apply, and then click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK.

Guest shai_hulud

They're not bad. Macs, that is.

Truth is, I'm not too familiar with them. I think PCs are a lot more versatile. Macs aren't very easy or much fun to hack.

Plus, I don't like Steve Jobs. Never had, never will. I think he's a genius, but I think he jocks himself a lot when he should be listening to his customer base.

Case in point. The iPhone. Amazing piece of hardware. Not surprising, that's what Apple excels at. But, he makes it very difficult to hack, and a lot of early adopters do just that with new platforms.

People figure out ways around this. The jailbreak, and so on...informal dev teams start working on new apps. Good stuff. Nerds like me are excited, think about getting one when they get cheaper and the bugs are worked out.

Of course, Apple does an update, and what do you know? They shoot themselves in the foot...some of the unlocked phones don't work after the automatic firmware update, and Apple is claiming they don't have to honor the warranty because the TOS wasn't honored when the phone was unlocked (or something to that effect). People go nuts. Who owns the $500 phone they bought- them, or Apple? So, Apple reverses its position, but only under threat of a class-action lawsuit they had NO hope of winning.

Now, the SDK is coming out next year. That means anyone can develop for the iPhone. But, does that mean that the iPhone is going to be unlocked once the SDK comes out? Or will developers have to upload their code to Apple, who then bundles it or releases it on an update? Who owns the code then? Is it open source, or proprietary? Do the developers get paid?

Stay tuned.