Vintage TN Nomura Earthman Astronaut Robot

Milk Grenades

So, over the summer I came across this Vintage TN Nomura Earthman Astronaut Robot toy at the flea market, and bought it for $15. It's still in the box and in perfect condition. Today , I did a google search and found that it was being sold on ebay for $1,799.99.

earthmanastroworkingtoy.jpg

earthmanastroworkingtoy_%281%29.jpg

earthmanastroworkingtoy_%282%29.jpg

EBAY LINK

I didn't know much about it before today, I just thought it looked really cool. There's also this video of it on youtube of it working...

Apparently, "Not an inexpensive toy by any standard, Earth Man is held in high esteem among knowledegable collectors for only the best of reasons: operational and lithographic quality."

I'm wondering if I should try to sell it or keep it?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm still trying to find out more about it. I found an article by a robot collector and he says:

"For rare and mysterious robots, this is essentially the one. A Good-condition Deep-Sea will cost $8,000, with a Mint-in-Box box version costing $24,000, the same as a nice new car.

Coming in as the priciest robot is Robby Space Patrol, made by Nomura in 1957. This incredibly detailed robot is battery-operated and sits atop a meticulously lithographed space car. This item is unusually rare, largely due to MGM enjoining Nomura shortly after the toy was released due to copyright infringement of the MGM film Forbidden Planet.

A Good-condition Robby — meaning not close to Mint, mind you — would pay a year’s tuition at a state university at $6,000.

A Robby Space Patrol, Mint with its original box, would buy at least two elected officials — I checked current prices on eBay — with a value of more than $30,000."

Nothing is mentioned about the one I own, but knowing that's it's created by Nomura, I'm sure it could be worth more than what the dude on ebay is selling it for.

If you have that in the box with the box in good condition it's prolly worth more.

Ask one of these people. If you keep it you may want to know its value to insure it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadshow/series/appraisers/toys.html

That is a cool looking toy. Shit that is a little piece of walking art drawings.

Very cool find.

Tell us how much it's worth if you get it appraised.

my mom recently went to the antiques roadshow.

they told her that the best market to sell anything to the public is ebay.

unless you want to sell at a live auction. people who are into collecting anything know what they want and are ready to spend what they have to get it.

from my experience people who lovvvvvveeee robots and collect them are willing to spend a bunch of money on them.

and from the looks of it you have something amazing. sell it. youll get a lot of money.

a good story. and it will be in the hands of someone who really appreciates robots.

my mom recently went to the antiques roadshow.

they told her that the best market to sell anything to the public is ebay.

unless you want to sell at a live auction. people who are into collecting anything know what they want and are ready to spend what they have to get it.

from my experience people who lovvvvvveeee robots and collect them are willing to spend a bunch of money on them.

and from the looks of it you have something amazing. sell it. youll get a lot of money.

a good story. and it will be in the hands of someone who really appreciates robots.

i think i'd go the live auction route, if and when i do sell it. but, you have a valid point. i really like it, but i don't love it, and if i could make some money by selling it that would be nice.

i'll wait to hear from the appraisers.