Fake Steve Jobs starts competition for Google Idea.

the.crooked

Monday, December 03, 2007

Blindfolded basketball, Part Two

So after talking to Eric about this blindfolded basketball technique it occurred to us that naturally the process can be sped up in direct relation to the number of players that are throwing up basketballs. So we thought it might make sense to enlist the millions of people outside of Google. Eric says it's no use, since Google already hires all the smart people in the world. Or, as he put it, "If you're not already working at Google, there's a reason."

But who knows? Sometimes a mob can create something beautiful. I mean look at Linux. Also, let's be honest. The New Ideas Development Team at Google (right) isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Folks, these kids need our help. Free sugary snacks alone cannot save this company. So in the spirit of open source collaboration (which Google loves because it means you give them your ideas for free) I am using my blog to host a competition to help Google find something else to do besides search-based text ads.

HELP GOOGLE FIND A NEW BUSINESS

A few guidelines. In order to fit with Google's established business model your business idea must be something where (a) other people do most of the work; (b) Google gets the money; and © it can remain in beta forever.

Read more here...

Here is my idea:

These first thoughts are where I imagine them going anyways.

Between the amount of fiber they own, and their server farms:

Backbone infrastructure

RFID based Advertising

Advertising technologies

Semantic Web Research

OR, just becoming so indispensable to the world's connectivity that money and revenue is no longer an issue. (at least I feel this is what they are on pace to do). The name alone would afford the access we presume money to afford.

With the upcoming FCC bid, you see Google flex muscle with policy change for the first time. Says something for their level of access already.

As far as an acquisition for the FCC Bid, how bout this start up:

http://buglabs.net/products

This company is already using open source architecture for making next generation wireless platforms.

Google tosses them a couple million,

either ditches the original architecture and incorporates its on proposed format, or it uses the semantic web research to have it be translatable to its own architecture.

Run the company under the original name still. Release the phone with Google features as a creative collaboration with Google. Thus enabling purpose and access to the litany of projects in the original post. And as it is part of the wireless device it means those projects are turning a profit as well, if not for being padding under the auspice of services included in the cost of the device.

This would make much more sense with what most think the spectrum bid is supposed to do. Instead of actually becoming a provider, they force the other providers to the standards and push on with the OHA. But using something like this start up as means into the actual handset market.

All I ask is a mill outa this deal. Or at least an internship after I graduate. Pay for my grad school, something.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
nice response.

Ill go off one why I think it is relevant later. I need to go find food.

I'm just thinking of makin minority report real.

yikes. no way in hell will i go for that.

rfid does cause cancer. several reports on it out.

http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=0010001839DD

anyhow, yeah, bad idea. i don't want a surveillance society at all.

I don't doubt some RFID technologies may have health issues.

But you don't think next gens will make advances on that?

Also, this seems to be only about the idea of planting the chips into people that would cause cancer. Was there any control of animals that were exposed to rfid transmissions but not subcutaneously.

Basically I imagine even if this one specific form of RFID causes cancer, there are possible ones that do not.

An argument from the perspective of human rights and privacy issues is much more compelling to me than one about cancer. Especially with the lack of rigor in the breadth of studies.

I am not saying the FCC's decision is not hasty, I think there are ways around the cancer argument.

As fas as detracting from freedom and privacy, that shit is gone anyways.

I would much prefer to be in a position of understanding about how the system inevitably being imposed on me works rather than just be subjugated.

Accept the Megafuture kids. It will be here son enough. And we will be relics speaking a bullshit language if we don't buy in.

Google bids on US Airwaves

Google has announced it is in the running for a slice of the US airwaves that would allow it to launch a nationwide wireless internet network.

Part of the spectrum, called the C Block, is being sold by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in an auction starting at $4.6bn (£2.2bn).

The planned transition to digital TV services in the US has freed up the wireless capacity.

The C Block radio waves will be free from early 2009.

Google hopes that the new network capacity will allow it to compete directly with existing mobile communications companies.

At the moment, most mobile phone companies force users to use particular software to operate their handsets.

The FCC has specified that whoever wins the auction must use it to allow users to operate whatever software they want.

Google recently announced plans to develop software for mobile phones.

Eric Schmidt, Google chief executive, promised that whoever wins the auction US consumers would "see more choices than ever before in how they access the Internet".

The C Block is in the 700 megahertz band of the wireless spectrum.

hopefully ill find out.

my mom found two more contacts at google that i can get ahold of. well see how that goes.

Article on quantum computing:

There are better articles, I will try to find them.

Silicon electronics are a staple of the computing industry, but researchers are now exploring other techniques to deliver powerful computers.

Quantum computing graphic

Quantum computers are able to tackle complex problems

A quantum computer is a theoretical device that would make use of the properties of quantum mechanics, the realm of physics that deals with energy and matter at atomic scales.

In a quantum computer data is not processed by electrons passing through transistors, as is the case in today's computers, but by caged atoms known as quantum bits or Qubits.

"It is a new paradigm for computation," said Professor Artur Ekert of the University of Oxford. "It's doing computation differently."

A bit is a simple unit of information that is represented by a "1" or a "0" in a conventional electronic computer.

A qubit can also represent a "1" or a "0" but crucially can be both at the same time - known as a superposition.

This allows a quantum computer to work through many problems and arrive at their solutions simultaneously.

"It is like massively parallel processing but in one piece of hardware," said Professor Ekert.

I will come back and talk about quantum computing later. It has its pitfalls, but there was another breakthrough released the other day, not the one mentioned in the article.

Be back after I find food.

Gov. Eliot Spitzer is promoting an effort to ensure every New York resident is capable of receiving high-speed Internet service.

The first-year governor, in announcing the New York State Council for Universal Broadband, said $5 million in funding has been set aside to promote the plan. On Friday, Dec. 7, the state will begin accepting request for proposals to distribute allocations for unserved and underserved areas throughout New York.

Wireless for All in New York

I'm seriously thinking about building the world's first punch-people-through-the-internet machine. A little mechanical arm with a boxing glove connected to a flash server through SketchTools. Don't exactly know how to market it though, since getting one only allows yourself to get punched, and not the other way around.

now i haven't looked up the specifics of this, but it seems as though they tried to write some sort of program where it mirrors the flailing and limited motor control of an infant to toddler.

this is an amazing idea. let it be a constructive operating system. let it build itself based on the information it recieves from its senses. Just like a baby.

let it learn its motor reflexes by flailing about rather than giving it pre-programmed movements.

I def think this is the right way to go if we are to actually come up with a good AI.

These type of self structuring programs are going to be pivotal to making the real advancements.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Blindfolded basketball, Part Two

So after talking to Eric about this blindfolded basketball technique it occurred to us that naturally the process can be sped up in direct relation to the number of players that are throwing up basketballs. So we thought it might make sense to enlist the millions of people outside of Google. Eric says it's no use, since Google already hires all the smart people in the world. Or, as he put it, "If you're not already working at Google, there's a reason."

But who knows? Sometimes a mob can create something beautiful. I mean look at Linux. Also, let's be honest. The New Ideas Development Team at Google (right) isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Folks, these kids need our help. Free sugary snacks alone cannot save this company. So in the spirit of open source collaboration (which Google loves because it means you give them your ideas for free) I am using my blog to host a competition to help Google find something else to do besides search-based text ads.

HELP GOOGLE FIND A NEW BUSINESS

A few guidelines. In order to fit with Google's established business model your business idea must be something where (a) other people do most of the work; (b) Google gets the money; and © it can remain in beta forever.

Read more here...

Here is my idea:

These first thoughts are where I imagine them going anyways.

Between the amount of fiber they own, and their server farms:

Backbone infrastructure

RFID based Advertising

Advertising technologies

Semantic Web Research

OR, just becoming so indispensable to the world's connectivity that money and revenue is no longer an issue. (at least I feel this is what they are on pace to do). The name alone would afford the access we presume money to afford.

With the upcoming FCC bid, you see Google flex muscle with policy change for the first time. Says something for their level of access already.

As far as an acquisition for the FCC Bid, how bout this start up:

http://buglabs.net/products

This company is already using open source architecture for making next generation wireless platforms.

Google tosses them a couple million,

either ditches the original architecture and incorporates its on proposed format, or it uses the semantic web research to have it be translatable to its own architecture.

Run the company under the original name still. Release the phone with Google features as a creative collaboration with Google. Thus enabling purpose and access to the litany of projects in the original post. And as it is part of the wireless device it means those projects are turning a profit as well, if not for being padding under the auspice of services included in the cost of the device.

This would make much more sense with what most think the spectrum bid is supposed to do. Instead of actually becoming a provider, they force the other providers to the standards and push on with the OHA. But using something like this start up as means into the actual handset market.

All I ask is a mill outa this deal. Or at least an internship after I graduate. Pay for my grad school, something.

You won't need to pay for grad school if you plan on staying in the humanities. I didn't pay a cent, and I got a stipend.

As far RFID's, I've heard the same thing as casek about the fears to human health. I wonder if there is any evidence to back them up? But the wireless world just keeps on marching nonetheless.

Semantic web research sounds interesting, what are the details? I'm still waiting for image recog search. the implications for research may be enormous.

I read a stub of the article on their website.

The implications are truly staggering. It's one step closer to Gibson's AI. These connections set off my paranoid attenae, and I can imagine what casek would have to say, but at the same time I am enthused to say the least about the potential of a semantic web of bringing together the world, data and disciplines in a way that would not have been possible before. It's almost like the first step in our evolution.