The Can2 thread...

YourWelcome

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ehhh i don't post very much but...to say Can2's style hasn't progressed over the years is rediculous.i think people say stuff like that..like about cope for instance...when someone's style just fucking defines graffiti and the style's become so solid and so known that people start to forget about it...true graffiti enthusiasts and people who get hyped when they see a fresh ass piece...will notice anything that's different..that is all...can2 is super fresh

interview:

_ Please present yourself

_ I'm writing Can2 and I'm from Germany

_ how and when did you start ? Was it a spontaneus approach or did someone influence you ? what makes you continue to paint even if many years have passed ?

_ I did my first piece in 1983 with WEBO, ZEBSTER was on the lookout...of coursewe were influenced by early tv-reports about NY-Graffiti...after Style Wars was shown on TV I was pretty much influenced by SEEN...till now. The passion for the art makes me continue this.

_Which are the crews you belong ? who belong to this crews ? when they started and how is your relation with your friends ?

_ I'm in UA (United Artists) since spring 1999 and I got my own crew SUK (Stick Up Kidz). There are too many members to name them all,just check www.stickupkids.de and take a look. I still got good contact to all the members of my crew and of course to SEEN.

_ how did your style begin and did it evolve ? Do you have a reference style model ?

_I always tried to orientate my style at the bronx-style from the 80's and at the same time I think this was the apex of style...and that's the reason why I do it...and it was a great honor for me to hear from people in the bronx that they like my style and that they got remebered of the old times when they see my stuff...

_ large part of your drawings are included in "concept wall" made with another people. these pieces can be considered real coreography , how are these masterpices designed ?

_ Usually the people who wanna do a concept-wall sit together a few days before they plan to paint and think about good ideas for the wall....

_ Do you make sketch on paper or do you paint in freestyle?

_ I still sketch on paper first.

_ For young people in your country what is the approch towards writing ?

I'm really honoured when I read in my guestbook on my homepage that people started painting after they saw my stuff...that's really cool, but in general it's hard to say for my what's their main inspiration to start doing graff...maybe the same like mine...I was simply fascinated by the Graffitis

_ How important is in your life writing painting? is there as much intollerance in country as in Italy ?

_ As far as it is a part of my life for 18 years now of course it's very important. I think maybe in Italy is more tollerance concerning Graff than in Germany...

_ How do you think writing will evolve in the next ten years ?

_ That's hard to say...of course it won't die out...as long as they produce spraycans.....but when it comes to style, everything was there already so I don't expect something really new for the future....

_ On what surfaces do you prefer to paint ( metal , canvas , wall ... )?

_I've heared steel is not too bad :) !!Mostly it's walls I'm painting on...sometimes canvas, but mostly walls, concrete.

_ Is fame for you a good or a bad thing?

_ It is good as long as you reach for it...but when you have it, it can sometimes bother you...

_ What aspect of writing do you like more and which do you dislike ?

_ I've learned in the Bronx that you only can call a Graffiti a Graffiti when it's done with stolen cans, in the night and on trains...that speakes for itself...this is a real hardcore definition of Graffiti... To me a Graffiti has to have outlines...everything else is Art, done with a spraycan......of course I like bombings, I love throw ups, trains...everything..

_ what do you think of the various italian fanzines ? Do you see much difference with the other ones?

_ I don't look too much any more at magazines...and i think in a way they're all the same...there are too much on the market...

_ How many times have you come to our country ? What has impressed you most?

_ I've been a few times to Italy, I've been to Rome with ATOM and I was invited to Rimini, Ancona and the latest was Pisa last year. It was always fun and the people have always been very nice...and of course some of the prettiest girls come from Italy :)_

_ can you compare our situation with yours ?

_ I don't know too much about the Ilalian Hip Hop Movement, I just know that it was always strong and from Italy came very early very good b-boys...

_ Do you have any advice to give youngster who try for the first time ?

This is a question so many people ask me and it's really not easy to answer. The only advice I can give is just go out there and try it out, which are the best cans, caps, colors for yourself. It's everything about practice. It took me 18 years to get me there where I am right now, so you see it'll take a long, long time....

_ Do you have plans for the future ?

Since the beginning this year I'm doing my own clothing line, this is the biggest project for the future, you can check it at www.stickupkidz.com

_ what do you think of the influence the web has had on writing ?

_I think the web is an important new media for the Hip Hop Movement Worldwide to come together and share informations much more faster and easier.

_ Like your companious ( daim, loomit, seen ... ) your style has been copied and used by many people, what do you think of this ?

_ As long as I can't do anything about it, it don't bothers me too much...sometimesit's even funny to see some copied characters painted somewhere, but Ithink the people recognize it real fast that thats not the way to do it...nobody will come that far by just copying stuff.

_ Thanks to writing you have travelled all over the world? how has this affected you?

_ That's right, I have travelled so many countries worldwide, and I met a lot of nice and cool people everywhere who share the same passion and I have learned also so much on those travels, I won't miss that part of my life and I'm still jetting through the globe...my last tour was together with DAIM and others to Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.

_ To conclude a question that has little to do with writing : have you been influenced by what happened on September 11 ?

_At this time we were in Thailand and we were all completely shocked as we saw it life on CNN...it has not influenced my Art but of course it hasinfluenced way of thinking.

_ Shouts !

_To all my crew members. Peace Can2

nigga is nice

i by no means mean this as a diss to can2 because the kid is straight nasty

but..........

i see alot of similarity between his style and seen ua. i mean c'mon those letters are right out of the seen alphabet.

the characters are all him and his can control is re-dick-que-less-lee of the hinges.

a quality writer for the sheer amount of work he has put in.

thats just my 2 cents

bem

can2 says in that interview that his major influence is Seen, but I think he has developed his letters enough to have a recognisable style. There are recognisable elements that distinguish it as Can2 style, and I think a lot of people see his style as a homage to that era rather than a direct steal from it.

at least that's my opinion.

Archived