GPHONE

Abracadabra

Google Will Apply to Participate in FCC Spectrum Auction

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (November 30, 2007) – Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) announced today that it will apply to participate in the Federal Communications Commission's upcoming auction of wireless spectrum in the 700 megahertz (MHz) band.

As part of the nationally mandated transition to digital television, the 700 MHz spectrum auction -- which begins January 24, 2008 -- will free up spectrum airwaves for more efficient wireless Internet service for consumers. Advocacy by public interest groups and Google earlier this year helped ensure that regardless of which bidders win a key portion of the spectrum up for auction (the so-called "C Block"), they will be required to allow their users to download any software application they want on their mobile device, and to use any mobile devices they would like on that wireless network. The winner must ensure these rights for consumers if the reserve price of $4.6 billion for the C Block is met at auction.

"We believe it's important to put our money where our principles are," said Eric Schmidt, Chairman and CEO, Google. "Consumers deserve more competition and innovation than they have in today's wireless world. No matter which bidder ultimately prevails, the real winners of this auction are American consumers who likely will see more choices than ever before in how they access the Internet."

Schmidt also praised the leadership of FCC Chairman Kevin Martin and his fellow commissioners for adopting the new rights for consumers earlier this year.

Google's formal application to participate in the 700 MHz auction will be filed with the FCC on Monday, December 3, 2007 -- the required first step in the auction process. Google's application does not include any partners.

About Google Inc.

Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top Web property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall Web experience for users. Google is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit http://www.google.com.

source

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest shai_hulud

I'm not a big fan of Google, but I like the idea of Android. Let's see where they go with that and then I'll decide if I'm for them entering the cellular game or not.

and by making cellphone usage free they will lure a huge number of people to the service.

thus having even more power, more control, and even more access to peoples private information.

and further growing their monopoly over information.

google are trying to control too much information. it is getting out of control.

i remember a few years back, everyone was pissed off with microsoft because they wanted to control your computer. now google seemingly wants to control the internet and the world, and yet no one gives a fuck.

google = evil

i dont have anything to hide either.

but i dont want them analyzing every word i say so they can build databases about me, who i call, what i say, etc. but i dont want to turn this into a google hate thread.

i give them props for some of the good they actually do.

this gphone thing is a good idea, but ultimately its in their best interests, not yours.

nah fuck that. im just sayin thats how they operate.

if you have ever visited google they know what you search, what you visit, youtube, the content of your messages on gmail, what you buy, etc.

they probably know more about you then the governemnt.

im just saying that its getting ridiculous. but people dont give a fuck.

nah fuck that. im just sayin thats how they operate.

if you have ever visited google they know what you search, what you visit, youtube, the content of your messages on gmail, what you buy, etc.

they probably know more about you then the governemnt.

im just saying that its getting ridiculous. but people dont give a fuck.

they just do that so the text-ads you have to look at is relevant to what you're interested in. also, to get a general consensus of what their users are doing. i don't think they're trying to dig dirt on anybody or keep track of you so they can do some dirty work in the future.

the whole point of the G phone is that it is going to be completly free service provided by google. the only thing is, you have to listen to advertisments and shit. to test if it would pull through google gave free internet to a few big cities like san fransisco.

the free internet in san fransisco bombed completly but we'll see

That is completely wrong.

Most people think this bid has nothing to do with them become service providers. What it does is force what ever telco that does win the spectrum to open up and allow whatever third party platforms people want on their phones/networks.

You are still gonna pay for service, you will just have an awesome option to what platform goes on your phone.

I think google will enter into the market through a subsidiary that they will acquire.

Rather, through something, like this:

Open Source Handset.