the internet is fucking boring

seeking

There's so much I want to say about this, but I think you more or less summed it up.

I didn't grow up with the internet. In a way, I was lucky. I had to read books. Those books were created by people with amazing ideas that they wanted to share, and to share them they had to learn how to communicate via the written word. Therefore, they had to learn volcabulary, grammar, spelling, punctuation...some writers, like Steinbeck and Hemingway, could use simple language ("Of Mice And Men" comes to mind) to express very sophisticated and deep observations about the human condition.

So, I decided that writing was something I wanted to do. I never really went anywhere with it...I did a few zines, and some short stories...contributed a few articles here and there to other zines...but, I seem to have some facility for the written word, or so I've been told.

Nowadays, things are much, much different. There's a LOT of people out there on the web who are trying to communicate their experiences and feelings and concepts...and they seem to be functionally illiterate. They can't spell, they have no concept of sentence structure or punctuation, and the grammar is more like pidgin than English. This is scary, frustrating, and sad, when I think about it. Sometimes, I can relate to how Lisa Simpson would feel. I'm not the smartest motherfucker on the internet...but, jeez, at least I TRY to sound coherent.

Do I sound like an effete douchebag? Maybe. I dropped out of high school when I turned 17. I was bored, they didn't have anything more to teach me. Besides, school is a means to an end for most people, and I was no exception.

But, I never stopped learning. I made that promise to myself, because I knew that most of the people I went to school with were going to stop reading once there wasn't any incentive to do so. Enlightenment just wasn't as important as getting paid and laid, I guess.

I'll never forget when Biggus Dickus (old Ch. 0 guy) told me once, "I really like what you're saying, it's good...but could you please try using capitals and making paragraphs? Your typing is really hard to read because there's no breaks in it."

So, I did. And, it made me slow down a lot...and think about what I was saying, and how I came across to other people. And, people started responding to what I said...FAVORABLY!!! I was shocked! Once I knew the formula, though, I stuck with it.

I guess the point is, now that this is a invite-only forum, I would like to think that the people who are here had to ASK someone to be here, or were invited because they had something worthwhile to contribute.

It's not just your time that you're spending on the internet, it's MY time, too.

I guess people can take all that whatever way they want to. I know there's a point in there somewhere. It's late, and I'm sober- not very inspiring circumstances for me to post under.

you just summed up how i feel in real life. disaffected and frustrated. all except 2 or so people in my life have absolutely no communication skills whatsoever. every time i express my p.o.v, it turns into a competition to see who can overpower the other in terms voice tones. i try to be as clear and upfront as possible, but some people take it as being arrogant on my behalf. im a very calm,monotone individual so i don't show emotion very well and i can't tell you how many times people take it as "thinking you are above another".

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shai_hulud
thats some bullshit. prob. the same shit that was happening with the 2k shit.

everyone finds out everything about everything.

the internet is going nowhere

Read about IPv6 here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6

Then read this-

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/11/19/internetcapacity/index.php

It's a complicated matter. IMO, the internet was probably never intended for use on its present scale. The problem isn't running out of addresses anymore, but infrastructure.

It's not BS, though. It's a very real issue.

Guest shai_hulud
I asked him (EBPH) last night if he wanted an invite.

He declined.

He didn't turn me down so much as he told me that there was no point in it.

That's not the EBPH I know. That's why I quizzed him pretty hard.

So, basically it's a matter of public approbation, or lack thereof.

Ahhhhhhh, the recognition....IT FEELS SO DAMN GOOD!

But yeah, I agree that we need EBPH and PGW back around here....porkchop I could do without, and I may actually stop coming here if Lens were to come back

Shai, I know what you're saying. These lulls always seem to happen when there isn't that one overbearing person who is on way too much, starting too many threads, and accounting for about a third of all posts. It's a role that EBPH, Porkchop, Lens, and PopGunWar/HighSociety (among others) have filled at various times. The problem is, when someone is being "that" member, they usually annoy a lot of people, and eventually wind up being banned. But they keep things interesting by keeping threads going and getting reactions. There has to be a balance.

Of course, there are other people who have managed to carry the site for periods without becoming too irritating... like Hesh, AyeBee, Gliko, SneakandCreep, Shai Hulud, BloodFart, Mero, Seeks... I guess most of the mods at one point or another... Kilo/RumpPuncher was pretty much solely responsible for keeping this place interesting for a good couple of years. There have been lots of others, to varying degree.

If people want to make things interesting, start interesting threads. Not just about stuff you found on the internet, but about your life. Ask questions that people will want to respond to. Post pictures of some crazy thing you saw. Tell some crazy story about getting in a fight in a swamp. Engage in conversation with people instead of trying to come up with one obnoxious response per thread and then moving on to the next.

I dont really know any of the old guys you're all talking about. I mean I recognize some of the screennames from old posts, but thats about it. I still like to come onto channel zero daily, and you guys are all right, it has been slow the last few weeks, but there's still always something to look at. Either the myspace pics thread, album trader, or just some random news link thats been reposted time and time again and the new guy gets ragged on for posting it.

It's an endless cycle I guess, but I like to think that I contribute most of the time, either with links to download, or just really weird shit that happens right in front of me (ex: that wreck that I posted a month or so ago). I think a lot of it just has to do with lots of people lurking in Ch.0 but not a whole lot of people posting, jsut about everytime I get on 12oz I'll see like over a 100 active members viewing Ch.0 but like 3 new posts.

So basically, what I'm getting at is, post or die.

Or I'll just have to go to brickslayers =/

EDIT: I just noticed I had 333 posts. HOWBADASS.

I dont really know any of the old guys you're all talking about. I mean I recognize some of the screennames from old posts, but thats about it. I still like to come onto channel zero daily, and you guys are all right, it has been slow the last few weeks, but there's still always something to look at. Either the myspace pics thread, album trader, or just some random news link thats been reposted time and time again and the new guy gets ragged on for posting it.

It's an endless cycle I guess, but I like to think that I contribute most of the time, either with links to download, or just really weird shit that happens right in front of me (ex: that wreck that I posted a month or so ago). I think a lot of it just has to do with lots of people lurking in Ch.0 but not a whole lot of people posting, jsut about everytime I get on 12oz I'll see like over a 100 active members viewing Ch.0 but like 3 new posts.

So basically, what I'm getting at is, post or die.

Or I'll just have to go to brickslayers =/

EDIT: I just noticed I had 333 posts. HOWBADASS.

i think its better to have 3 post here and there. than to have a bunch of bullshit pee in her butt. everyother thread. cause a lot of post are not really post worthy.

but the non worthy post are made to keep it going to maybe get someone to say something interesting.

more post wont solve anything. it will just cause more shit talking.

im not trying to say that you are wrong. you might be right. but from the looks right now.

more stupid post just to keep shit going is stupid.

it'll cause more stupid shit to happen. and more stupid threads about the stupid shit going on

i didnt say 12oz was boring, i said the entire internet was boring.

12oz is actually ok.

EBPH will be condemned again the second he sets foot back on the board, so save your invites. i have zero interest in discussing the reasons. this is not a democracy. the sooner the kid kills himself, the better.

mams site was funny.

i do not even know how to check if i got props or not. i dont even know what props are for.

alot of people here are very sad.

Guest shai_hulud

I got the formatting wrong, but here's my response to what seeking had to say.

SEEKING-i didnt say 12oz was boring, i said the entire internet was boring.

12oz is actually ok.

SHAI-As a mod, I would like to think that you have a vested interest in saying, "12oz. is the best GOT-damn board on the interwebs, and you best not forget it." Then again, I haven't been here for going on eight years. I don't deal with the shit you deal with. I'm not you. But, you're right. A lot of content on the web is boring, and it's up to us- you, me, and everyone else here- to see that 12oz. is the exception to the rule.

SEEKING-EBPH will be condemned again the second he sets foot back on the board, so save your invites. i have zero interest in discussing the reasons. this is not a democracy. the sooner the kid kills himself, the better.

SHAI-Fine, that's your perogative. You can do that. All I wanted to hear was the other side of the story. Forgive me for saying so, but my opinion is that based on what I heard, he got railroaded, and that seems unfair. He's my friend, and I stick up for my friends....even when they're wrong, sometimes. If I was YOUR friend, seeking, you would be able to count on that from me. I know 12oz. is not a democracy. But, that shouldn't be a reason to stifle discussion. I'll drop the issue now.

SEEKING-mams site was funny.

SHAI-I didn't look at it. Maybe I will.

SEEKING-i do not even know how to check if i got props or not. i dont even know what props are for.

alot of people here are very sad.

SHAI-I think props are an interesting feature, but that's not why I'm here. I like to earn my hood pass the hard way. High fives are nice, but they don't replace respect.

Even though we don't agree on some things, I actually respect you, seeking. You stick to your guns. Not many people do that these days.

On the rare occasion that I notice new props, it is nice to see that someone was particularly interested or entertained enough by one of my comments that they wanted to say so. But I don't understand all of the posts asking for props.

As for East Bay, I never minded him once everyone got past that initial bay-area-clique-taking-over-every-thread period.. I have no idea what the circumstances were behind any of his bannings or condemnation. I feel like even when I spend a lot of time on here, I'm missing a lot of the gossipy shit that goes on... I'm guessing that it's because I don't IM or MySpace or anything like that. I don't particularly mind being out of the loop with that stuff, though.

Ultimately, there are a handful of people on here who I am interested in hearing from and interacting with, and the occasional pleasant surprise of an entertaining post from somebody I had not yet noticed or put on ignore. The rest is background noise, but it's getting awfully loud.

Guest shai_hulud
On the rare occasion that I notice new props, it is nice to see that someone was particularly interested or entertained enough by one of my comments that they wanted to say so. But I don't understand all of the posts asking for props.

As for East Bay, I never minded him once everyone got past that initial bay-area-clique-taking-over-every-thread period.. I have no idea what the circumstances were behind any of his bannings or condemnation. I feel like even when I spend a lot of time on here, I'm missing a lot of the gossipy shit that goes on... I'm guessing that it's because I don't IM or MySpace or anything like that. I don't particularly mind being out of the loop with that stuff, though.

Ultimately, there are a handful of people on here who I am interested in hearing from and interacting with, and the occasional pleasant surprise of an entertaining post from somebody I had not yet noticed or put on ignore. The rest is background noise, but it's getting awfully loud.

The props thing is fun, but that's about it.

I'm letting the whole EBPH thing go. He's clearly not interested in coming back, and seeking is dead set against having him back. Maybe that's for the best. It's not like I don't get to talk to him or hang out with him outside of 12oz. I just had a lot of fun when he was here, and I personally enjoyed the summer of 2006 on Ch. 0 even if the fun we had was occasionally at the expense of others. Nothing personal.

Even though I tend to stray for periods of time, I come back here even though I can contact the friends I've made here by email or IM. 12oz. is still the only site I talk to people I've never met in person on the web. Just because I get annoyed every now and then doesn't mean I'll stop posting.

Mostly, I just want people to realize that they should care about what they're saying and how they present themselves. That's why I've been making the effort to be courteous to people who I disagree with and not just tee off on them. It's better to set good examples rather than reinforcing bad ones, I believe.