Who Would Jesus Torture?

Guest spectr

"Inflicting bodily or psychological harm on a helpless captive would be inconsistent with the Christian understanding of human dignity. But as with all moral obligations, there may be circumstances for exception.

It is well understood in Christian tradition that while we are supposed to obey the law, there may be times when there is a higher obligation (see Aquinas, Augustine, and Martin Luther King). To rescue a drowning person, a Christian would be justified in disobeying a “no trespassing” sign.

So it is with torture; if a competent authority honestly believed that this was the only way to get information that might save the lives of thousands, I believe he would be justified. That is not moral relativism. It is making a diffucult decision when human life and diginity will be affected either way. The greeks call it prudence."

Charles Colson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Colson

just a little background info on this guy...

and where this came from

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/charles_w_chuck_colson/2007/11/justified_under_some_circumsta.html

Prudence: the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason.

Also

skill and good judgment in the use of resources.

So by the use of reason it is ok to torture someone if you think they might (meaning possibility) have information, and that the information might (meaning possibility again) save the lives of thousands of people you would be justified in torturing the person.

Just a quick point, this guy might have information that might, save the lives of thousands of people from being tortured by people like him.

Also to say that is is similar to saving a drowning person by violating a no tresspassing sing is just fucking insane.

Making a comparision to MLK, and peaceful nonviolent civil disobedience, in the pursuit of equal rights for all, and torture (1 a: anguish of body or mind : agony b: something that causes agony or pain2: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure3: distortion or overrefinement of a meaning or an argument ) to get information from someone is seriously fucking insane.

To say that torture is now a higher obligation if it means that you can save a thousand lives still goes against Aquinas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquinas). Though with the reference to augustine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo) I can almost understand, how he would think torture would be ok.

My only question is WWJT

No really Who would Jesus torture?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

good subject. I find it a constant source of amazement the way 99% of 'devout' Christians (not just the ones who say they are Christian and don't go to church or anything) will lead their entire lives in complete opposition to what Jesus, their supposed messiah, leader, and savior, preached at the sermon on the mount. It really disgusts me seeing these evangelical piece of shit preachers literally preaching word for word the exact opposite of Christ's teachings, like 'God wants you to be rich' (no Jesus said that a camel will pass through the eye of a needle before a rich man goes to heaven). 'God wants you to support the troops in our war' (No Jesus asked us to turn the other cheek when we are attacked, and taught that those who live by the sword shall die by the sword, not to say he wouldn't have compassion and forgiveness for troops just that he would not support their military ventures), there are too many more examples to go on with.

An interesting thing to note is that these people will happily go against the direct word of who they believe to be the living incarnation of omniscient omnipotent god as long as some fucwit nobody priest tells them it's ok, false prophet much?

anyway i'm not a Christian but anyone who hasn;t checked out The Gospels really should it's very enlightening.

well in the case of charles colson, I am amazed that anyone actually listens to this guy.

Watergate anyone? I mean shit, give it ten years and hopefully everyone in the bush adminstration will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Seriously, trusting this guy is like covering yourself in honey and jumping in a cage with a hungry bear. Nothing good is ever going to come out of it.

The reference to Martin Luther King is what really got me.

How the fuck is civil disobedience, in the pursuit of equality at all comparable to torturing someone to get information out of them? Lets not even get into who you are torturing, and the reasons behind it. But seriously how the fuck does torture equate with MLK? can someone explain this to me? please...