the desolation of the job hunt

serum

I really hate the job hunt. I mean all the resumes and cover letters sent out with no replies. I send so many out that if they reply I often donÕt know who the hell they are or how I even got their address. Not to mention trying to do your own thing and try to get yourself into the art world. IÕm talking shit that pays not graffiti. It seems that the art world becomes who you know rather than what you can do. I feel like that crazy bitch in I shot andy warhol. Just talking crazy ideas about my manifesto with andy going that's sounds great valerie. IÕm really not a social person so going to clubs and bars where Òthe art circleÓ hang out is pretty painful for me. I don't know what to say or even how to relate. they all sit around and talk like they know what ar is and what they are doing is so important to the world like they invented the spoon or something. I don't think of myself as being special or better than anyone but it seems like they have all the opportunity in the world to do their thing, get the exposure, get the contacts, and get the dough yet they just talk, drink coffee, and exploit their position. They use art to separate themselves from the working stiffs but don't really do all that much. I think that being a writer and going out every night after work to go piece shows a lot more love for art then any other facet of art. i guess i'm hating on others but i just went to an art exhibit and these art dorks just wasted my time and everyone elses with shit not even remotely interesting.

Anyone else feel pretty desolate with job searching or getting yourself into the art world?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hate hate

I have exactly the same problem. I pursued Fine Art, first troubles come with the so called ‘open minded’ Teachers, who are as open as a closed window. They all seem to have their own ideals about how your work should be and if it does not conform to them, its immediately discarded as crap. No chance in trying to convince any of them that the element of design and style involved in graffiti is artistic - what a waste of time that is!

Art seems to be more about talking shit now, it doesn’t matter if the painting has absolutely no technique or skill involved - Its just how you sell it to people. Which is what I find the hardest about it all; talking a load of drivel in arty farty trendy man lingo and like you said, being down with ‘the art circle’. Needless to say I have been unemployed for over a year!

Oh well, I guess I’ll have to stick to painting trains… fuck the art community!

:mad:

I have had the same problem with an instructor at the college I recently attended.The guy had been "teaching" for the last 20 years or so and would not accept anything that for some reason "didn't look like his idea"..I was like "What the fuck?"..so I called him on it(that did not go over very well)..I ended up arguing with him over the next 3 weeks and eventually got kicked out of the class(which I paid for out of my own pocket--no financial aid)..

my art instructors were always asses to me but i actually think that they aren't trying to be the enemy actually they are trying to play the cynic and make life difficult for you in order to push your creativity. i had this college professor that came off as a real conservative prick and at the end of the year he shared his work and he had artists from around the world send him their sperm. artists create things sperm was the metaphor for artists creating life. i was surprised at this and he actually took me aside and said i really like your stuff but he always gave me low grades in class go figure.

shit on a job

i have been unemployed for over a month now. and i am going crazy with nothing to do and no money. i have sent out so many resumes, cover letters, and salary requests and still no word. i figured that december is not a good time to look for a job anyways. so what the hell am i going to do?? work retail just to get the money flowing. fuck i hate that too!! but i know i have to do it. i just hate the hours. they seem to take forever. my first day is 1-10. fuck thaaaaaaaaaaaat!! i hate standing up trying to sell something, i hate dealing with picky ass people, i hate looking pretty and smiling until my face hurts. ew. i miss my old job dammit.

Archived