Go Crazy

Hayabusa

so im in this class at school, and aside from other bullshit and reasons why this class absolutely sucks balls, heres another

i have to find all my readings on my own in online journal archives somewhere.

heres the kicker, only about 1 tenth of the readings are actually on there

YAY!

heres another kicker, for each week, we have to do a small paper about that weeks topic, and use the readings for the week in said paper.

there are about 6 readings a week, only about 1 or 2 i can ever find

im so pissed and frustrated right now

i wanna punch something out repeatedly

like fuck off, most disorganized prof ever, and worst course ive ever done

she said she was gunna email us all the weeks readings, and she did so for about the frst few weeks of the semester, then never did again

:D

going crazy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i hate when teachers try the new age approach at teaching.

I guess.

It is nice as hell when you can access a class website and have all the readings for the entire semester sittin there in pdf format.

Download that shit to cd, take it to your school's duplications office, pay the minimal fee for printing and binding, there you go. An in print reader for your academic pleasures.

You can do this if you just have a listing of the articles you need from a syllabus or some such. If you can't find them personally in the journals, go to your school's library. find a reference librarian and get her to find them. It gives them meaning and purpose, their perception of analytic inadequacy on your part allows you to get free work done.

Digital access to readings is a great way to circumvent the outrageous price of most textbooks, save paper (I don't really care but its a nice selling point), create a means of universal access, and have course specific reading structures rather than have to adhere to guidelines of whats available in a given textbook.

Either way, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to find your readings. Choosing to read them... thats another question.

And as for the weekly response papers, no sympathy from here.

I guess.

It is nice as hell when you can access a class website and have all the readings for the entire semester sittin there in pdf format.

Download that shit to cd, take it to your school's duplications office, pay the minimal fee for printing and binding, there you go. An in print reader for your academic pleasures.

we have regular lectures...on the chalk board in one class and power point in my other 2 classes...

and we have the notes posted on the class website...one of my teachers even podcasts the lectures so we can download them onto mp3...

but thats not what i was talking about....i was talking about the new age way of teaching...where they want you to research things for yourself and learn about things on your own....

how about just teaching...like they are supposed to do!...i get better grades when i learn the lecture material and take a midterm....not when i have to research shit on my own.

i hear all that, but i like research because i can choose subjects that interest me. im in fourth year now of my undergrad, and i prefer so much having two months to learn everything about one thing/context that really interests me, rather than having to create some dead fuck's perceptions about a,b,c and i really don't care.

poli sci is played out now though by virtue of me studying the shit out of it for four years now

Edit- I keep not quoting people thinking I will type my post fast enough, but no.

Caligula-

Then, you my friend are on a very different end of the academic spectrum than I am.

I do not have grades and my graduating is based on me completing an independent project as the culmination of my learning in college. The last three years have been pass/fail with written evaluations of the work I do in class and overall with the academic program I developed as my major.

The reason this "new age way of teaching" has developed is because the commodification of higher education has turned undergraduate studies roughly into an extended version of high school. There has to be some training for serious students if they plan on getting into graduate programs, where most work is, in fact, independent.

I haven't taken a straight up "test" since high school.

This entire year is me working on a capping thesis. I have one class a semester. It is awesome. Although all the free time has posed somewhat of a detriment to any bit of a schedule I once had. I need to develop a new strategy for gettin work done.

i hear all that, but i like research because i can choose subjects that interest me. im in fourth year now of my undergrad, and i prefer so much having two months to learn everything about one thing/context that really interests me, rather than having to create some dead fuck's perceptions about a,b,c and i really don't care.

poli sci is played out now though by virtue of me studying the shit out of it for four years now

A yup.

you plannin on continuin with it?

My mom has her Bachelors in Poli Sci and Masters in Public Admin.

My stepdad has his PhD in Poli Sci.

I feel like I should get an honorary bachelors in it just for having lived with them

Edit- I keep not quoting people thinking I will type my post fast enough, but no.

Caligula-

Then, you my friend are on a very different end of the academic spectrum than I am.

I do not have grades and my graduating is based on me completing an independent project as the culmination of my learning in college. The last three years have been pass/fail with written evaluations of the work I do in class and overall with the academic program I developed as my major.

The reason this "new age way of teaching" has developed is because the commodification of higher education has turned undergraduate studies roughly into an extended version of high school. There has to be some training for serious students if they plan on getting into graduate programs, where most work is, in fact, independent.

I haven't taken a straight up "test" since high school.

This entire year is me working on a capping thesis. I have one class a semester. It is awesome. Although all the free time has posed somewhat of a detriment to any bit of a schedule I once had. I need to develop a new strategy for gettin work done.

yeah....i guess im just too lazy for researching a topic...plus im getting old...im in school with a bunch of 18,19,20 year olds...i just want to learn what i need to ...well enough to do well on my midterms...get good grades and move on with my life....it seems like college is just taking forever...but its what i chose (as opposed to working a mediocre job for the rest of my life)...and its too late to turn back now....i just hope i can get a good job that im happy with after undergrad..then grad school.

I am gonna try and snag an internship with Google for between graduating and grad school.

That would be ballin.

I just wanna get outa grad school as fast as possible.

All goes according to my plan I will have a PhD by the time I am 26 or 27. Fuck teaching too.

I have no interest in that. I plan on tailoring my dissertation to the particular field I want to work in. I really just want google to hire me.

to me, if im paying for an education, then there should be more direction in it and organization than there is now in this class.

yes there are online pdf article archives. but these articles contain such common terms that finding them is a chore. not only that, but the majority are not available for free in full text format.

i dont see why we couldnt just get a more coprehensive book or collection of articles in paper form, like all other classes under a different prof were able to get. this isnt revolutionary shit thats just coming off the presses now, it couldve been done much better IMO

to me, if im paying for an education, then there should be more direction in it and organization than there is now in this class.

yes there are online pdf article archives. but these articles contain such common terms that finding them is a chore. not only that, but the majority are not available for free in full text format.

i dont see why we couldnt just get a more coprehensive book or collection of articles in paper form, like all other classes under a different prof were able to get. this isnt revolutionary shit thats just coming off the presses now, it couldve been done much better IMO

I would say there are two things possble here:

One, your prof is just a douche.

Two, you are not accessing the journal's correctly. Your prof should not be assigning reading's in journals that your school does not have subscriptions to. So either you need to access these journals through your school's library, or through the library site, such that the right credentials are given and you have access.

And why are you searching for articles through common terms? Do you not have a syllabus?

Use an advanced query and search for exactly this title, or this author, etc.