Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
decoded

Kindle... the death of the paperback.

Amazon has this dope ebook reader called Kindle.

SHITS WANTING ME TO GET BACK INTO READING BOOKS.

tv is soooo dead.

check it out @ engadget.com

amazon-kindle-launch-10.jpg

Live From The Amazon Kindle Event. ( engadget.com )

books are free to 10bux on amazon. (free well u know where if you don't then hah you a lam3z0r)

would you fine folks at 12oz throw away your book collection for a digital book reader?

i would. fuck a dusty old book. they get moldy over moving and time and collapsed roofs.

I would rather just have a laptop and read books on there. Other than that I will stick to books real ink on pages...

Reading shit on LCD screens is totally fucking horrible. I wonder how good the e-ink system on this works, cause that's basically the deal-breaker right there. As long as it looks printed and not displayed, this could be a step in the right direction.

Someone had a PDA with a similar screen on the subway I think,

and it looked better than LCD but not as good as paper.

I usually print out any E-books because I cant stand

to read a screen full of text let alone a book.

Guest spectr

I would still much rather have paper books.... Seriously, its all about having a bookshelf full of dope books...

it's already a eye torture to read long messages in the forum, just imagine an entire book...

bloodyEyes.jpg

There's something about holding an actual book over some computer thingy. It just feels more legit.

these things have been around since xerox park and get a big "No Sir" from me.

Again, most of people's gripes, as evidenced by this thread, is with reading on a screen. This is NOT a screen, at least it's not supposed to be. This is digital ink, which looks printed and doesn't give you the sore eyes computer screens give you.

technology_inkballs3.jpg

ink_close_up_thm2.jpg

There's more subtle things involved in making people feel comfortable with a device like this... that sense of progress as the bulk of pages gets shifted from the end to the front of the book as you read through it is pretty much impossible to replicate. I dunno, I love books to death and don't quite know how they're gonna be replaced... but it'll probably happen one day.

I'm sure there was a lot of people disappointed with the look and staleness of printed words when the printing press came out, and who much preferred handwritten text since that's what they grew up with.

I don't think it's all that big really. Looks slightly larger than a paperback, yet smaller than most hardcover books... any smaller than that would be uncomfortable to read I think.

Video demo

its pretty cool, but it needs to be thinner, and not so ugly, plus 400 is WAY too pricey.

no thanks.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now