"War on Terror" Thread

Theo Huxtable.

Islamic Academy in U.S. Under Fire

By MATTHEW BARAKAT,AP

Posted: 2007-11-24 22:57:01

Filed Under: Nation News

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (Nov. 24) - Its most virulent critics have dubbed it "Terror High," and 12 U.S. senators and a federal commission want to shut it down.

The teachers, administrators and some 900 students at the Islamic Saudi Academy in Fairfax County have heard the allegations for years — after the Sept. 11 attacks and then a few years later when a class valedictorian admitted he had joined al-Qaida.

Now the school is on the defensive again, with a report issued last month by the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom saying the academy should be closed, pending a review of its curriculum and textbooks.

Abdalla al-Shabnan, the school's director general, says criticism of the school is based not on evidence, but on preconceived notions of the Saudi educational system.

The school, serving grades K-12 on campuses in Fairfax and Alexandria, receives financial support from the Saudi government, and its textbooks are based on Saudi curriculum. Critics say the Saudis propagate a severe version of Islam in their schools.

But al-Shabnan said the school significantly modified those textbooks to remove passages deemed intolerant of other religions. Among the changes, officials removed from teachers' versions of first-grade textbooks an excerpt instructing teachers to explain "that all religions, other than Islam, are false, including that of the Jews, Christians and all others."

At an open house earlier this month in which the school invited reporters to tour the school and meet students and faculty, al-Shabnan seemed weary of the criticism.

"I didn't think we'd have to do this," he said of the open house. "Our neighbors know us. They know the job we are doing."

Indeed, many people familiar with the school say the accusations are unfounded. Fairfax County Supervisor Gerald Hyland, whose district includes the academy, has defended it and arranged for the county to review the textbooks to put questions to rest. That review is under way. The academy's Alexandria campus is leased from Fairfax County.

Schools that regularly compete against the academy in interscholastic sports — many of them small, private Christian schools — are among the academy's strongest defenders.

Robert Mead, soccer coach at Bryant Alternative High School, a public school in the Alexandria section of Fairfax county, said the academy's reputation has been unfairly marred by people who haven't even bothered to visit the school.

"We've never had one altercation" with the academy's players on the soccer field, Mead said. "My guys are hostile. Their guys keep fights from breaking out."

The academy opened in 1984 and stayed out of the spotlight until the Sept. 11 attacks. Criticisms were revived in 2005, when a former class valedictorian, Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, was charged with joining al-Qaida while attending college in Saudi Arabia. He was convicted on several charges, including plotting to assassinate President Bush, and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

Most recently, the religious freedom commission — an independent federal agency created by Congress — issued its report, saying it was rebuffed in its efforts to obtain textbooks to verify claims they had been reformed.

The commission recommended that the academy be shut down until it could review the textbooks to ensure they do not promote intolerance.

Since the commission's report, the academy has given copies of its books to the Saudi embassy, which then provided them to the State Department. The commission is waiting to get the books from the State Department.

On Nov. 15, a dozen U.S. senators, including Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., wrote a letter to the State Department urging it to act on the commission's recommendations. And on Tuesday, Reps. Frank Wolf, R-Va., and Steve Israel, D-N.Y., introduced legislation to write the commission's recommendations regarding the academy into law.

Michael Cromartie, the commission's chairman, said he does not question the character of the student body or the faculty, most of whom are Christian. The commission is focused specifically on the textbooks, and has legitimate concerns given the problems that have been endemic in the Saudi curriculum, he said.

"It's not about whether the students are civil to their opponents on a ball field. It's about the textbooks," he said.

At the open house, seniors said they worry that news accounts will hurt their college applications. Most students said they were shocked that the government panel had recommended closing the school.

Omar Talib, a senior, said the school caters to students from across the Muslim world, not just Saudis. It makes no judgments on other religions or against Shiite Islam, as some critics have contended.

"I have four children at this school. I've never heard them say 'Mom, today we learned we should kill the Jews,'" said Malika Chughtai of Vienna. "If I heard that kind of talk, I would not have them here."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2007-11-24 16:15:25

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this on the news a few weeks ago. A very compelling story about Sunni Iraqis being fed up with al-Qaida and their butchery. Amariyah was once the most violent section of Baghdad and today is one of the most calm neighborhoods. Thanks to one man. He went up to the leader of the al-Qaida group in Amariyah, and killed him, and then mobilized Iraqi Sunnis to drive al-Qaida out.

Power of one has al-Qa'ida on run

James Hider, Baghdad | December 01, 2007

ONE morning in late May, a former Iraqi military intelligence officer working as a US double agent walked up to the al-Qa'ida ruler of west Baghdad. The exchange of words, then bullets, that followed has transformed Amariyah, the city's most volatile neighbourhood, into an unexpected haven of calm.

It may, according to US officers, be one of the most significant gunfights since the 2003 invasion, and its ripples are bringing local Sunni and Shia men together to fight terrorists and militia in other neighbourhoods.

The showdown went like this: "Hajji Sabah, isn't it time you stopped already?" said Abu Abed Obeidi, a diminutive 37-year-old with a drooping moustache, tired eyes and a ready smile. "You have destroyed Amariyah."

"Who are you?" Sabah, the Islamist emir, sneered. "We're al-Qa'ida. I'll kill you all and raze your homes."

"You can try," Mr Obeidi said. The emir drew his pistol, but his Glock 9mm jammed. As he turned to run, Mr Obeidi emptied his pistol into his back. His assault on al-Qa'ida had begun.

Amariyah has experienced a startling rebirth since that western-style shootout. In May its streets were filled with corpses being picked over by stray dogs. US troops ventured in rarely. When they did, they used heavily armoured vehicles, several of which were blown apart by mines.

Now the shops and cafes are open, and schoolchildren and women stroll the streets. Mr Obeidi's men patrol on foot with US troops and Iraqi soldiers.

It has been a precarious journey from al-Qa'ida fiefdom to what US commanders see as a possible model for the future of Iraq. The process has not been made clearer by the mystique surrounding the enigmatic man at the centre of the revolt.

After the 2003 invasion, Mr Obeidi, a sniper and military intelligence major in Saddam Hussein's army, briefly joined the Sunni resistance. Within a year he had grown disillusioned with al-Qa'ida, which had taken over the movement with the aim of sparking a civil war between Iraq's Shia majority and Sunni minority.

In an abrupt about-face, he offered his services as a spy to the Americans. "I have a basic principle to fight anybody who is hurting my fellow citizens," he said, surrounded by his uniformed gunmen in his large offices in Amariyah. "That's why I co-operated in 2004 with the Americans and started to work against al-Qa'ida."

He used his skills as a secret agent and former insurgent to infiltrate extreme Islamist groups. He has also built up a network of close comrades from Saddam's sacked officer corps and the insurgency. This spring, dismayed by the failure of the Iraqi Government and its US allies to stem the bloodshed by al-Qa'ida, he decided to act directly himself.

The May gun battle was touch and go. Of the 150 men Mr Obeidi had gathered to fight, all but 15 fled when the bullets and rocket-propelled grenades started to fly. His deputy died in a shootout with Sabah's No2, Omar the Slayer. Outgunned, they retreated to a mosque and called on US troops, who arrived in force and cut down the Islamists.

The Americans had hit a goldmine in Mr Obeidi. With his intelligence skills and local gunmen, they suddenly found that they could identify an elusive enemy. The former insurgents knew exactly where to find the Islamists and their weapons. Within a month, Mr Obeidi's men had led the Americans on a series of raids that swept the Islamists from Amariyah. The turning of Sunni tribes and insurgents against al-Qa'ida in western Iraq and Baghdad has become known as the Sunni Awakening. Here, however, it is broader -- Mr Obeidi's 600 men include disillusioned Shi'ites as well as Sunnis.

The Shi'ites of Amariyah, driven out by Sunni extremists, have started to return.

A retired Shia schoolteacher, Umm Ahmed, who fled a year ago, said: "Everything we have now we owe to Abu Abed. This was the first place to be saved by a hero like Abu Abed."

He is hero-worshipped by his men, who fall over themselves to light his constant cigarettes and patrol the streets with him.

His Firsan al-Rafidan (Knights of the Two Rivers), can be a blunt instrument at times. Mr Obeidi, who still wears the Sabah's pistol on his hip, stopped al-Qa'ida using a local print shop to produce propaganda leaflets by burning it to the ground. When he finds his men -- only half of whom are paid -- stealing or extorting money, he beats them himself. Few questions are asked when al-Qa'ida suspects die in his house raids.

Aware of the dangers of creating yet another large, armed faction in a lawless city torn apart by militia, the US Army has created a special unit, the "roughnecks", to work alongside them.

There is no doubt that the bold assault on Sabah -- combined with an increase in US troops in the capital -- has calmed the chronic violence of Baghdad. Inspired by his heroics and by the lucrative contracts for local militia -- the US military has paid out $US39 million ($44 million) so far -- "concerned local citizens' groups", as they are known, now number 77,000 men.

Some Iraqis worry that the creation of more armed groups will lead to the rise of warlords across Baghdad. Mr Obeidi swats that charge aside, saying he wants to leave the country once he has secured his men jobs in the Iraqi security forces. Amariyah has no police force, partly because of the lack of interest in Sunni areas by the Shia Government. His men want to become legitimate police.

Once that happens, he hopes to get out with his surviving family. Two of his brothers died in the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s, two more were kidnapped, mutilated and murdered by gunmen dressed in Interior Ministry uniforms two years ago. A $US500,000 bounty has been put on his head by al-Qa'ida and Mr Obeidi cannot leave Amariyah. "I lost most of my family, I haven't had any rest for a long time. I think I'm done," he said. "I did a good thing for Iraq. I want to live a normal life now," he said.

The Times

First, I have not read any of the prior #102 posts on this thread. So, here's my take.

Although I greatly appreciate the access to media outlets for gaining near real-time information regarding the war on terror this freedom creates more questions than ever before. I long for the simple life of the 40's where most people went to movies on a Saturday morning to see footage of our efforts during WWII. People supported our war, our troops, our government. They bought war bonds with what little money they had. They welcomed home our troops with parades.

Yes, I believe Americans were fed propaganda back then just like we are fed it today. It was easier back then....it couldn't be disputed. Today, soldiers use their camera phones to film clips of what goes on slap it on YouTube. Which asks the question is the soldier pro war so we get his/her attempt to sway our opinion or is the opinion anti-war attempting to sway the other way.

There is so much information out there that one must work tirelessly to acquire both sides (pro/anti war) before making an informed, fact based decision on whether to support the war effort or not. I have been such a person. I have spoken to vets from WWII, Korea, Vietnam and numerous soldiers who've served from the Clinton era through today. I have concluded that I will never be able to make an informed, fact based decision on the War on Terror. There are just way to many sources of information out there.

War is bad, but often necessary. World Power comes from strength of forces just as much as from strength of knowledge. The USA has both. I support my country. Therefore, I will continue wish that I lived the blissful life of ignorance that my Grandparents lived 70 years ago.

God Bless our troops, God Bless our leaders and give them the strength to make the right decisions so we may one day be "one nation under God".

I'm not surprised at all. Again....Some things I don't want to know about.

I worked with an old-timer who told me that he was stationed in Vietnam from 1959 until 1964 but could not speak about anything else. I checked his military service record and confirmed his service dates but could not get any other information. The rumor was he was an intelligence officer but could not be confirmed. He NEVER would engage in any conversations related to the military except to trash Navy football.

I'm not surprised at all. Again....Some things I don't want to know about.

I worked with an old-timer who told me that he was stationed in Vietnam from 1959 until 1964 but could not speak about anything else. I checked his military service record and confirmed his service dates but could not get any other information. The rumor was he was an intelligence officer but could not be confirmed. He NEVER would engage in any conversations related to the military except to trash Navy football.

wow. taking it to the grave. that man is like a lot from his generation. some were patriots, some would rather forget about it.

my uncle was demolitions for navy seals back in vietnam. he doesn't talk about it.

It's like a horrible car crash. You wanna see it but your worried it might make you sick. I would love to know about what he did in vietnam but I don't want to change my opinion of him.

My grandpa served in Japan in WWII. After his death my dad and I found an ammo box in the attic that had photos of his time in Japan. Most were funny stuff like walking in to the SNAFU tent to take a dump. But there were disturbing photos of headless Japanese soldiers and worse. My grandpa was a great guy and he never had any hate for anyone. So I was proud of his service to our country and even more proud that he was able to live a guilt free life. I wish he didn't have to see what he saw. My dad burned all of the bad photos because he didn't want anyone to think poorly about his father. I don't blame him. it would have been hard to look at him the same way if he had been alive when we saw the pictures.

I think that is why he never spoke of Japan or never shared his photo collection. he probably blocked it out of his head.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?120607/120607_tobin_hamas2&Americas_Newsroom&Preparing%20for%20War%3F&acc&US&-1&News&151.358&&&exp

Hamas evolving from a ragtag terrorist organization, to a more sophisticated guerilla force in the Gaza Strip?

Apparently Hamas is preparing for a possible Israeli invasion in Gaza in response to their daily mortar & rocket fire into Israel.

1. Hamas has virtually been a government and a military even before they took control of Gaza. They won the elections because there a well run organization with a huge infrastructure that was able to provide Palestinians throughout the territories with schools, hospitals, food, etc for years, while Fatah continued to be corrupt and neglect its people. If it wasnt for the Israeli pressure on them in the West Bank everyone knows Hamas would have taken it too. Also Fox news probably isnt the best place to get objective news on the mid-east

2. Irans allowed to have nuclear power and there allowed to enrich uranium, but many have been suspicious because why the hell do they want a nuclear power plant when they have the second largest oil reserves in the world. Ironically the Iranians do end up importing a lot of oil because their refinerieds can meet the countries demands. Even so they could have spent the tremendous amounts that theyve been blowing on some stupid nuclear program to update their refineries and solve the problem like that. And just because they dont have a nuclear WEAPONS program now dosnt mean they cant transfer all their enriched uranium into one in the future. However, Bush and Cheney are assholes and the next President better run to bargaining table with Iran so that dosnt happen..

And all these conspiracy theories are tiring.

hamas had more than a 50% stake in the palestinian parliament, but they didn't have "total control" like they do now in the gaza strip. they didn't have all-hamas appointed military, police, mayors, city councils, etc. fatah doesn't control shit in gaza.

many palestinian people in gaza have also been holding demonstrations in protest against hamas' policies. apparently all isn't well with hamas rule.

are you sure iran has the second largest oil reserves? i could've sworn it was iraq.

hamas had more than a 50% stake in the palestinian parliament, but they didn't have "total control" like they do now in the gaza strip. they didn't have all-hamas appointed military, police, mayors, city councils, etc. fatah doesn't control shit in gaza.

many palestinian people in gaza have also been holding demonstrations in protest against hamas' policies. apparently all isn't well with hamas rule.

are you sure iran has the second largest oil reserves? i could've sworn it was iraq.

I agree with what your saying, but Im just trying to point out that it shouldnt be so astonishing that they do now.....all they had to do was renaim there organization boards, leaders, militias, etc. etc. into mayors, city councils, police, military, etc. Fatah dosnt really control anything in Gaza your right, and if Israel pulled out of the West Bank they wouldnt control much of it either.

Iran does have the 2nd largest oil reserves, Iraq is third, but it dosnt really matter if your second or third or fifth...you still got a lot of oil

There is so much information out there that one must work tirelessly to acquire both sides (pro/anti war) before making an informed, fact based decision on whether to support the war effort or not.

The US go to war to further economic interests, it really isn't a confusing or undocumented phenomena.

I have concluded that I will never be able to make an informed, fact based decision on the War on Terror.

Its pretty easy I will explain it to you; It's bullshit.

War is bad, but often necessary.

No it isn't.

God Bless our troops, God Bless our leaders and give them the strength to make the right decisions so we may one day be "one nation under God".

Fuck your troops, fuck god, fuck your leaders and most importantly fuck your pathetic ignorance and stupidity.

man, wow. i knew this purple mushroom dude liked to talk shit, but man, don't say "fuck our troops". i don't believe in this war at all but i don't dare blame our troops for any of that.

they are doing jobs. jobs that not many people have the nuts to do.

maybe our leaders have taken more power than they are granted, but when you are a 17 or 18 year old kid deciding that the military is the way to go, and being willing to give up your life for what you think is best, then you aren't to be insulted. not by a shit head like you, anyway.

have some respect.

anyone have any comments on the revelation that the cia had destroyed videotapes? i think its fairly obvious that there was torturing/illegal coercion going on, the excuse that they were afraid of those tapes falling into al qaida's hands are bullshit.

plus, assuming the UK govt has seen more than the public, than its surprising that the day after this revelation five UK residents were being shipped back.

basically, what happens now? with destroyed videotapes, i'm anticipating a supreme court ruling that is favorable to detainees. is this the end of a bad dream? or are they just going to be transferred to federal prisons across america? or stay in gitmo, but have the right to a fair and speedy trial (with all the constitutional implications that go along with it).

ps. purple mushroom you are very narrow sighted for the sake of your ideology. its pretty typical of 12oz, but you just came off like a supreme dumbass. shine on.

as a troop... go fuck yourself, thanks.

( i really hope w/ that SN you're just making these posts to piss people off, if so, you're good, if you've the remotest sense of sincerity... gees man)