13yr old girl commits suicide over loss of fake myspace friend

Guest spectr

Guest shai_hulud

Yet, most parents keep letting pop culture and the Internet raise their kids.

I know that's a generalization, but I'm going to carry it a little further. Why not? Those parents are the same people that wonder why 80% of the world's population has a bone to pick with American culture. And, if they aren't outraged at the behavior of the US at large, they think we're a bunch of buffoons.

Like I said, look OBJECTIVELY at the way the media portrays the US to the rest of the world. They make us look like a bunch of immoral, spoiled hedonists. Unfortunately, they're right. We don't present a very good case for being good neighbors or responsible citizens of ANY society.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love myself too much to really be able to understand the thought of taking your own life.

thats exactly it--you love yourself, you place value in your life. this is why you will never understand and can make such blanket statements about shooting cops... do you think somebody who offs themselves holds much love for their life or self? no, they don't, thats usually why its done (atleast in my experience and research). its not about "fuck it lets peace the fuck outta this bitch." its about the fact of absolute pointlessness to it all...

Kimball

Not to sound like an asshole, not that I care if you's think I'm an asshole, but some people need to die. The thinning of the herd, only the strong survive.

Even if she had lived, she probably would not have amounted to much.

i agree with the fact that this is natural selection to a degree, however, there is no way to say whether she would have amounted to much...

abraham lincoln, john denver, monet, churchill, kobain, princess di.... the list goes on and on.

odds are most people are going to grow up, be complete wastes of space, tools in a capitalist machine, live like a piece of shit, and die accordingly--it has nothing to do with whether or not they had depression or not.

Depression is tricky to understand from the outside. It is very easy to tell who, of the people that have posted, has struggled with it in some way. From my own experience, things can be going as good as anybody can ask for in my life, and i can still feel off kilter and for lack of a better word...depressed. My first reaction to most situations is not usually the most healthy one..however...i dont give in to it even though it may seem like the 'right thing' to do at the time. From making alot of mistakes, and living through them, i have learned to second guess alot of my first reactions. Some people arent that lucky. It is sad that shit like this has to happen but for everything that occurs, there is usually something that counters it. For better or worse..its natures way of restoring balance. For anybody that has suffered a loss..especially one of a close family member...its not uncommon to want to blame somebody or something for it. Acceptance and accountability comes with time. I dont think its fair to say that the parents are to blame..in the whole. Most of the time when people are serious about wanting to die...they sincerely try not to let people know that something is wrong. Usually the people are are saying "im gonna do it..i sware!" are just screaming for help...because that is what they really want. Watching somebody you love go through something painful..and to not be able to do anything about it is the hardest thing anybody will have to deal with...that has been true for me at least. I'm not sure exactly what I was going for in typing all of this..but i hope at least some if it made sense.

...and Shai..you have some good stuff to say man.

I was on lithium when I was a teenager (this was way before Prozac or Wellbutrin). I hated it. I think emotions are important. Lithium just shoved all that aside.

oh wow

how long did you take that for?

how are your kidneys doing?

also

ive known people who died much too young in circumstances over which they had no control

and this bitch takes it all for granted and offs herself because of some bullshit

theres people in much worse situations who make the best of it and keep going

fuck this bitch and her hip hop

WTF?

Calvin Harris (19) died after being struck in the chest while moshing at a New Year's Eve party

Calvin Harris (19)

Date: Dec 31, 2005

Cause of Death: Moshing

A handful of teenagers were moshing at a New Year's Eve party; 19-year-old Calvin Harris was apparently struck in the chest and died of concussion of the heart in a freak accident. Harris's family is suing William Conklin (who allegedly hit Harris), and Conklin's mother, who owned the house where the party was held, though she wasn't home at the time. It's not clear from press coverage if William Conklin was an adult at the time of the party.

I was on lithium when I was a teenager (this was way before Prozac or Wellbutrin). I hated it. I think emotions are important. Lithium just shoved all that aside.

My downstairs neighbor is on Lithium and a couple other drugs. And drinks mad beer on top of it.

Dude looks like a trembeling zombie half the time. And he keeps crashing his whip into the house, fence, tree among other things.

Guest shai_hulud

T ReXXX- Thanks. I'm right there with you.

It's hard to explain to someone why you're freaking out when nothing's wrong...or, conversely, everything is going really well.

For me it's two things- pressure to maintain the status quo, and the simple fact that NOTHING LASTS, good or bad.

I'm not sure why I've gotten away with 'fessing up to certain things on 12 oz. that other people would have gotten called out on. Maybe I'm lucky. Or, being nice has paid off here. Anyway, thanks...it's nice to say some of this shit and not be called emo. (Although I may have just set myself up...)

Cash, I took lithium for two months when I was 14. I'm pretty sure there wasn't much else at the time (1988) for clinical depression, and the shrink I had at the time thought the risks were acceptable. But, DUDE...that shit is no joke. It was like being totally emotionally flat...which, to me, is a worse kind of hell. So, I stopped taking it.

I tried Zoloft in 1993, but that made me way too manic. I could function, but it messed with my sleep cycles...so, I mentioned that to the doctor, who then wanted to give me Ambien to sleep. I thought, "I'm only 21. ths guy is claiming I need pills to make me happy, and MORE pills to make the happy pills stop working so I can sleep...no thanks."

So, since then, no crazy pills. I've had them recommended by several doctors...along with the "Things have changed since you were a kid..." qualifier when I explain my misgivings about the whole matter to them.

And, I don't think my kidneys are doing too well. Or my liver. I quit smoking two months ago, so I've got that going for me, at least.

Shai, i feel ya,

when i was about 18 or 19 i was prescribed antidepressants, i took them for about twice the recommended cycle of medication because they werent having any effect and the doctors said that i needed to stay on them.

i was young and naive and i believed them. its fuckin crazy how those thing make you feel... you arent "depressed" anymore, but you arent happy either, your emotions are just cut off, even sex seemed like a "mechanical" act. totally unenjoyable. that is when i knew that i needed to get the fuck off of the medication.

i still do have big bouts of depression, even when there are no events in my life to catalyse it. i just feel like shit alot of the time. i just dont tell people about it, it just opens up too many probing questions that i dont have the time for. you put it best when you said that its hard to explain to someone why you are freaking out when nothings wrong.

i still do have big bouts of depression, even when there are no events in my life to catalyse it. i just feel like shit alot of the time. i just dont tell people about it, it just opens up too many probing questions that i dont have the time for. you put it best when you said that its hard to explain to someone why you are freaking out when nothings wrong.

Word..alot of the time it kinda sneaks up on me. Ha..like its not just a blast of misery. Sometimes something might set it off but that doesnt have to be the case....but i start noticing that normal everyday activites begin seeming like chores...brushing teeth, doing laundry, showering...all that good stuff...I have been on a handful of meds for various lengths of time ranging from prozac to zyprexa to most of the other ones. I started taking that shit when I was probably about 12 years old. It wasnt until i stopped taking everything that I actually was able to deal with the depression..or at least begin to. All medication does is mask or 'deal' with the symptoms of a problem not the actual problem itself (look in almost all aspects of society...we would much rather ignore the problem and get rid of the symptoms..then actually work through the real thing... ie. Cops will take you in for stealing..or doing drugs..but wont look at why a person will feel the need to do drugs or steal. they would much rather see the the symptoms gone even though the problems are very much still there.) I wont knock anyone for taking meds..because I believe that they helped me get to a place where I dont need to take them anymore. Everybody has a process..and unfortunately this girl couldnt deal with the path that hers took. Ha..I was getting a bit off topic so I tried to bring it back at the end..haha...i could go off for hours.

thats exactly it--you love yourself, you place value in your life. this is why you will never understand and can make such blanket statements about shooting cops... do you think somebody who offs themselves holds much love for their life or self? no, they don't, thats usually why its done (atleast in my experience and research). its not about "fuck it lets peace the fuck outta this bitch." its about the fact of absolute pointlessness to it all...

I know exactly how the pointlessness feels. I spent the years of about 13 to 18 feeling like that. Sleeping 18 hours a day, having no energy, no motivation to live, wanting to die. Thing is, I realized it is all a mindfuck. I taught myself that whatever you believe in your own mind is what will become your reality. So I began training my brain to feel that I am godly and above 98% of other people, realize how much iller shit I do than other people, and it made me feel better about myself. Now I can look at my life and personality and accomplishments and feel good about myself. I can't really explain exactly what I did but it was basically brain exercises and mind conditioning type shit. I used to have all sorts of mood swings and fucked up emotional/depression type problems, I think from seeing my father die infront of me at such an early age. All that shit disappeared over the past two years with what I have been working on.

I guess this girl reached the point where she wanted to die too strongly before she got older and figured out how to chill the fuck out. It seriously is all in your brain and there are ways to change the way you think. I have been doing this shit for the past couple years and my life is fantastic now. This is the first winter that on cold, rainy ass days I am as happy as I would be on the sunniest, warmest day in the summer. Every other winter for as long as I can remember, as soon as the chilly weather hit it was like a blow to the chest and I would change into a completely fucked up person even more so than the summer.

Depression is something everyone has to deal with at some point in time or another. Most people just have small bouts of it and aren't even aware of what they are going through. Then there are the people for who the symptoms are huge, and they have serious problems living life everyday with it. These people get drugged up to the point where they can't function anymore, or have worse done to them. When they should be helped in learning how to live with their depression, knowing the signs of the onset of a depression, and have someone they can talk to. Unluckily, in this country that is never going to happen as long as corporations can reap huge profits from drugging the masses. Honestly its gotten horrible in the last few years, look at all the advertisements for drugs on t.v. These companies should not be allowe to advertise frugs they create on t.v. it makes people who don't need these drugs think that they do, while lining the pockets of corporations who have no regard for the negative effects of these drugs, or the actuall health of the people being treated with these drugs.

It's seriously fucking horrible. I am not completely agains't drugs, but they are so over prescribed, its fucking insane. I had a uncle who had to undergo electro-shock therapy a few years ago over depression, his wife orderd it done since he was unable to make a decision for himself thanks to all the drugs he was on. She left him shortly afterwards, and had been planning on leaving him before the depression set in, actually it's what caused him to be depressed in the first place.

He still hasn't gotten help for his depression, he has just gotten medicated, over and over again. Rather then talk to him, and help him work through his problems, which have since grown, they just medicate him. What these drugs do to him is amazing, seriously amazing, he can't function one little bit, he hasn't worked in years, and is unable to even make music for the last few years; which was his passion in life, and he was actually fairly accomplished at it, having toured across the country opening for some pretty big acts over the years.

Depression, is a beautiful thing in a way, since it allows people to create things, some of the most famous works of art were created by people who had horrible depression, some of the most famous musicians, suffered from depression, Famous poets and authors have had horrible depression. It gives to us in some ways, and takes from us in other ways.

I don't know I think I might be going off topic a little bit now... but whatever... fuck it...

Guest shai_hulud
P.S. Shai...your emo. Haha.

ZING.

There were two things you said- one was about getting busted by the cops for racking, and them looking at the problem, but not the cause.

I got into a argument with my dad about this once. He just wanted to rehash a bunch of stupid things I did. But, he only knows about the stuff I got caught for or told him about- if he knew about all the dirt I've been into his fucking head would spin.

I said something like, "You know, you're right. I did all those things, and they were lame. I was there, I remember. I still regret and feel remorse for some of those things. But, you never bothered to asked me WHY. If you were aware of what the motive was- hell, I don't unterstand it all that well myself- then maybe you could understand what's going on in my head. But, it's easier to point fingers than it is to examine the problem...and I agree with that. I like to blame other people for what I do, but at the end of the day it's ME who has to take responsibility for it."

And, depression is NOT like "walking into a room", as someone I heard say once. It creeps up on you, for no reason...and by the time you realize how bad it is, it kicks your ass and there's not much you can do till it passes.

I have to go do laundry stuff, I'll finish this in a bit.