Wiki!

vanfullofretards

Post your interesting, odd or enlightening wikipedia articles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom

"Boredom and boredom proneness are both theoretically and empirically linked to depression and depressive symptoms. Nonetheless, boredom proneness has been found to be as strongly correlated with attentional lapses as with depression."

"Although boredom is often viewed as a trivial and mild irritant, boredom, and especially boredom proneness has been linked to an amazingly diverse range of psychological, physical, educational, and social problems."

I could spend days on wikipedia clicking links, all the while having no clue what I originally intended to research.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_psychology#Evolutionary_Psychology

--------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_hazard

"Moral hazard arises because an individual or institution in a transaction does not bear the full consequences of its actions, and therefore has a tendency or incentive to act less carefully than would otherwise be the case, leaving another party in the transaction to bear some responsibility for the consequences of those actions. For example, an individual with insurance against automobile theft may be less vigilant about locking his car because the negative consequences of automobile theft are (partially) borne by the car insurance company."

I just watched the movie Primer... it's the only movie I've probably seen at least 10 times now and still dont fully understand. They talk about causality in it, so I decided to wiki it... I still dont understand it. Pretty interesting none the less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality

Causality is the belief that actions cause other actions. This causes that.

It is the fundamental basis for scientific explanation and the way our brain interprets information in general.

The large irony is that most introspection into the process shows that there is no real reason to attach correlation to any two events at all.

Thus we are left at a crossroads of abandoning all of science/rational thought, or juts appreciating the approximation that believing in causality gives us.

Any consistent system of explanation is as good as another.

It is a question about what is necessary and what is contingent.

A belief in causality is fine, but only if one recognizes that the languages used to describe it will always be wrong.

To qoute Wittgenstein "If in this room one found a proof of 2+2=4, when I walked into the next room, could not 2+2=5?"

or one could think of it this way. Things will happen or they will not. Regardless of past events, any future event is determined only upon its occasion. All probabilities of events are then equivalent at 50 %. One can make a theory of prediction which suggests the probability of it occuring based on a belief that past events can be used to predict future ones. But this does not change the fact that regardless of the validity of any such theory, future events do not rely on those theories being valid.

Science is a perfect example of this. We assert theories, these theories are capable of prediction, then until a given prediction is contradicted a theory is considered adequate. But what we have found is that we will always find contradictory data. Thus any theory point in the history of science is necessarily wrong on the assumption that it will be later outdated as a theory incapable of comprehending and predicting future data, come what may.

A beautiful process founded on the belief in Causality as constituting the form of the universe which uses the constant negation of this ideal to progress further in the original image at all.

Go human thought.

Analytic Philosophy

Analytic philosophy (sometimes, analytical philosophy) is a generic term for a style of philosophy that came to dominate English-speaking countries in the 20th century. In the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand the overwhelming majority of university philosophy departments self-identify as "analytic" departments.[1]

Given this scope, it is difficult to identify non-trivial philosophical claims that would be common to all analytic philosophy. The term "analytic philosophy" may mark merely a family resemblance across disparate philosophical views, or historical lines of influence.[2] Insofar as broad generalizations can be made, analytic philosophy is defined by its emphasis on clarity and argument, often achieved via modern formal logic and analysis of language, and a respect for the natural sciences.[3][4]