MARKER SUPERDUPERTHREAD

FROSTY

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

anyone got a tip on what kind of pen u can use to do highlights on blackbook sketches.

i just started with graffiti again and trying to figure stuff out.

got myself some alpha design markers (same shit as copic) and i need some pen to do highlights.

i could use posca, but i dont want the straight edges of highlight, i want more of a fade kind of highlight.

Like eaz uses in on of his videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/silverpoundcans#p/u/0/Ew0UOxz5Q2w

cant see what kind of pen he is using, but the results he get is exactly what im thinking of.

• 4 weeks later...

would anyone happen to know the formula and proportions to make an opaque, free flowing, refill for paint markers such as decos, unis, etc... i would assume it to be oil based paint and xylene but i feel like there's something missing from the formula or that the proportions are very specific (i keep ending up either with too much transparency, or a thickness that inhibits flow.)

would anyone happen to know the formula and proportions to make an opaque, free flowing, refill for paint markers such as decos, unis, etc... i would assume it to be oil based paint and xylene but i feel like there's something missing from the formula or that the proportions are very specific (i keep ending up either with too much transparency, or a thickness that inhibits flow.)

Instead of concentrating on the right mixture of paint, maybe you should do more work with the actual marker. Maybe try a new nib, or find more of a mop-like marker that has the same width.

Here are some suggestions:

If you're dead set on finding the right balance of paint and thinner, keep trying things out. Maybe you'll get lucky. But you're right... Stick with oil based paint and xylene. You don't have to use xylene, either. Paint thinner would work just as fine.

Try softening up the nib if you find the paint mix to be too thick. Mashing up the end or poking holes with a needle usually does the trick for me.

Rack a shit ton of unis and decos. They're easy to come by, and not scarce at all, which means if you have the ability to have a big stock, why waste time and effort trying to make your own?

There are a lot of deco-sized mops out there that you can squeeze, which eliminate the flowing problem. Hit up any arts and crafts store like Michael's and I guarantee you'll find something.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

^ I think it was mentioned before in regards to refilling a Pentel White L. I think the person who did it made some major mods to the marker (forcing the marker open and resealing). As far as I know there are no simple ways to do this and it does not seem worth it all. If you discover something different, let us know.

Maybe a syringe down the nib could work? Again, probably not worth the time and effort.

is the ink that comes in kiwi's worth keeping? I have used it its pretty bold but is it permanent?

What type of Kiwi are you using? White, black, wax, dye? All of that matters. The black dye actually does stain considerably well, though most people prefer to use it in conjunction with other inks (garvey or marsh-type inks, usually).

Honestly, the word "permanent" should be erased from all of our vocabularies. Nothing is permanent; if somebody wants to get shit off of their wall, they will use cleaners, solvents, and hundreds of coats of paint to get rid of it.

Instead, you should be concerned with two things: water-resistance and stability. This applies to both outdoor and indoor ink. Outdoor ink, it should be there through the rain (water-resistance), and it should be able to withstand the wear and tear (stability... i.e., shouldn't get rubbed off, fade in the sun). Indoor ink, it shouldn't be able to be wiped off with water, and it should be stable enough to handle writing on any surface.

Anyways... Sorry for the ramble. Here's my point: if you have something to write with and you have something to write on, it shouldn't matter what kind of ink you use. 100 tags with cheap shoe dye are way better than 10 tags with expensive-ass, designer ink. It's about getting up. Nothing else. Well, being good at it too.