news in seattle

done em'

Seattle gets tough on graffiti; $1,000 offered for tips that lead to arrests

By Dave Birkland

Seattle Times staff reporter

E-mail this article

Print this article

The writing is on the wall for spray-painting vandals: The city of Seattle is cracking down on graffiti.

Public officials and business owners yesterday announced a campaign to combat graffiti by offering up to $1,000 for tips that lead to arrests or filing of charges against vandals responsible for up to $4 million damage each year to Seattle businesses and public property.

"We're going to stop this crime, but it takes a partnership (with the public)," said Len Carver, a police officer who patrols Capitol Hill, an area hard hit by graffiti.

Seattle Public Utilities, which removes graffiti from public property, is funding the rewards.

People who have information on "taggers" are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 800-274-6313.

Carver encouraged people to call 911 if they see taggers at work. He asked witnesses to note the vandals' clothing, sex and race, and in which direction they leave. The license number and color of a car also helps, he said.

Graffiti is especially expensive for business owners such as Barry Rogel, owner of Capitol Hill's Deluxe Bar & Grill, which has been "tagged" dozens of times.

Rogel tries to immediately paint over or remove the offending daubs. "If you let it go, it just proliferates," he said.

The effect can go beyond property damage. "It leads to the perception that it (the neighborhood) is not safe, which is not true," Rogel said.

Several weeks ago, he said, a vandal was tagging the front door of the Deluxe while customers were coming through it. "It can be very, very brazen," he said.

A new twist in graffiti is "acid etching" of windows. Vandals use shoe-polish daubers to etch glass with some sort of acid. The markings can become permanent if allowed to dry.

Jay Kim, owner of Princess Market on Capitol Hill, said he will have to replace a window that was recently etched.

There have been more than 4,000 reports of graffiti on public and private property in Seattle in each of the past two years, according to Seattle Public Utilities.

Most graffiti is a misdemeanor that carries a maximum of a year in jail and/or a $5,000 fine, according to the City Attorney's Office. If the damage exceeds $250, it can be prosecuted as a felony.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hahahahaha....all we got over here is buttrock,mullets and rusty Camaros' on blocks...oh yeah, and fucking snow.Oh! I almost forgot....a posse' of wannabe No Limit Soldiers who rock fake ice and FUBU...fuckin' faggots.Don't come to Eastern Washington...that why I'm leaving.....

That isn't that impressive. I have seen cities imposing stiffer penalties, including Portland. The shit is getting really hot here, I am afraid the scene is dying off. Those cops are getting really vindictive, including searches, huge sentences and unbelievable amounts of restitution.

Originally posted by bobobi11

That isn't that impressive. I have seen cities imposing stiffer penalties, including Portland. The shit is getting really hot here, I am afraid the scene is dying off. Those cops are getting really vindictive, including searches, huge sentences and unbelievable amounts of restitution.

it wasn't posted to impress. its just an article that was on the front page of local news today.

Originally posted by 455

hahahahaha....all we got over here is buttrock,mullets and rusty Camaros' on blocks...oh yeah, and fucking snow.Oh! I almost forgot....a posse' of wannabe No Limit Soldiers who rock fake ice and FUBU...fuckin' faggots.Don't come to Eastern Washington...that why I'm leaving.....

Dont forget crackheads and bums! and CrackheadBums. Those are the best. Especially the ones with mullets, who have 3 cars on blocks in their yard. Water your Grass!

Originally posted by done em'

it wasn't posted to impress. its just an article that was on the front page of local news today.

Wrong choice of words. What I was saying is that isn't bad. We have CrimeStoppers, Campus Crime Stoppers, and our Transit system all offer rewards up to $1,000. Very few people stop and call. Just trying to be reassuring.

Originally posted by bobobi11

Wrong choice of words. What I was saying is that isn't bad. We have CrimeStoppers, Campus Crime Stoppers, and our Transit system all offer rewards up to $1,000. Very few people stop and call. Just trying to be reassuring.

yeah portlands pretty fucking bad...i have some buddies down there that are facing the wrath of the shitty laws

Guest GorbortOrman

Spokane is the big white trash ghetto in the middle of the desert. Water here? I think there might be water, I'm not sure, I tried to turn on my kitchen faucet today and nothing came out. I guess there isnt any water... We got dust though.... Lots of dust and smog. Theres this little run down area by my house where you can swim, its nice in the summer time, but I went down there yesterday to poke around and I seen this kid frozen in the water, He had some kind of mutation like a 3rd arm growing off the side of his shoulder near his right arm. It was weird. Living in spokane can cause: Retardation, Cancer, Mutations, Loss of teeth, and Facial Growths. Spokane is notorious for its futuristic trash can gang in space suits. They run around naked sometimes in blue paint and you can see their mutated bodies, its pretty badass. They throw trash all over the place when digging through city garbage cans and dumpsters, You can tell when they have been around. Spokane is just a fucking weird place. Since living here, I have had lots of memory loss. I heard once that spokane was a test site for the government, and they use spokane's citizens to test chemicals on them secretly, creating diseases and such... scarry stuff, I hope I can get oiutta here....

Guest me IS cool

ahahaha! that's a fucking joke! do they think they will stop it by toughening the laws? the only thing it will do is weed out the toys, and those suckas who are scared.... I laugh when cities try to increase laws and shit.... Los angeles tried something like that but look at it now... the city was killed.....and still is... :lol:

oh yeah thanks to whoever put up that article you made my day! :D

Originally posted by GorbortOrman

Spokane is the big white trash ghetto in the middle of the desert. Water here? I think there might be water, I'm not sure, I tried to turn on my kitchen faucet today and nothing came out. I guess there isnt any water... We got dust though.... Lots of dust and smog. Theres this little run down area by my house where you can swim, its nice in the summer time, but I went down there yesterday to poke around and I seen this kid frozen in the water, He had some kind of mutation like a 3rd arm growing off the side of his shoulder near his right arm. It was weird. Living in spokane can cause: Retardation, Cancer, Mutations, Loss of teeth, and Facial Growths. Spokane is notorious for its futuristic trash can gang in space suits. They run around naked sometimes in blue paint and you can see their mutated bodies, its pretty badass. They throw trash all over the place when digging through city garbage cans and dumpsters, You can tell when they have been around. Spokane is just a fucking weird place. Since living here, I have had lots of memory loss. I heard once that spokane was a test site for the government, and they use spokane's citizens to test chemicals on them secretly, creating diseases and such... scarry stuff, I hope I can get oiutta here....

I dont think anything else needs to be said, that sums it up nicely. :D

Originally posted by chester copperpot

seattles had ads on the busses for the 1,000 reward for years, has that siloette of a guy with the rag over his face holding up a can.. saw it as far back as 96 i think ? did they discontinue it and are reopening it now or something ?...

those bus adds were offering $100

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by GorbortOrman

for water, try paying your bills. spokane does have some of the worst air in the nation, if i remember correctly. i heard it on the radio. yeah we got radio too. sometimes the tv's even work. you have to dress midgets up in foil and stand them around the tv. We used to do that with intangi fame, but we stopped because we were afraid it would have bad effects on his unborn baby in his tummy. thats a side effect of the toxic waste in our drinking water. males get pregnant. yeah, in spokane, you dont need to smoke doobies. just walk outside and inhale deeply. you get all woozy. i think the government people that came in the biosuits said that spokane citizens have about one tenth the IQ of the average person. i remember when the ufo came down we were all really excited because we thought they they were going to take us away. but then they threw up on our mayor and had to leave. what?

Spokane is a place where you can still by Def Leppard "Pyromania" and it's still in the "new release" rack at Bubba's records and tapes."hypercolor shirts" are still popular.High top Reeboks are still fly kicks.I'm sure if you looked hard enough..you could probably find some old cans of Krylon somewhere around here."Robo-cop" is still in the movie theaters.We are one of the biggest meth capitals on the west coast...great place to raise a family.ha ha.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

well we probably shouldnt be turning this into the spokane thread, its not that important of a city to have its own 12 oz thread.

but the thing i like most about spokane, has to be the mullets. gotta love that haircut.

There should be a spokane thread. So everyone knows how fucking "ghetto" we have it over here. I mean shit I went to use a fucking payphone and it started moving cause some guy had that shit strapped to his back. The local Mcdonalds fianlly upgraded its menu we finally got the fucking BigMac. And 455 your wrong about the newest movie out cause I just saw Gremlins it fucking rocked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"can i have my head back?" -slugger

• 5 years later...

south seattle/Tacoma/kent/federal way e.t.c. are pretty bad areas tons of gangs, drugs, almost daily shootings, white trash towns yeap washington is pretty hood lol and fuck seattle mayor nickels for being so hard on graff we have it harder then writers in alotta other cities and the rain doesn't help the scene much either, but a year for graff?!! that's pretty fucking outrageous..

Archived