TENNESSEE!

SoulFoodMemphis

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

The recent Rex 2 straights have been nice. The one with the drop shadows at the Wash is nice.

This section of this wall is always chopped up by shadows, I will get better flix on the first overcast day.

After some amateur Photoshop trickery I come up with this

UHBW.jpg

geee.jpg

meee.jpg

user.jpg

pagers.jpg

rasi.jpg

Example of fucking shadow

pageshadows.jpg

8214685892_241c24c067_b.jpg

MOBE by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8214686048_7aca50e470_b.jpg

RASM by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8214686252_c03666140b_b.jpg

BOAS by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8214686496_6e0d962c46_b.jpg

MASE by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213600727_5960d47b2e_b.jpg

WASP by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213600985_23dfb36f00_b.jpg

HAWK by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8214687294_9c54b13e8a_b.jpg

REX2 by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213601479_664ee71fee_b.jpg

AUDROC by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213601781_1dfb0868ee_b.jpg

HAWK by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213602141_7eac32cf0d_b.jpg

BOAS by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213602551_9c5ea0f559_b.jpg

MASE by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

8213603003_ab1de15ed0_b.jpg

WASP by TorrenceHatch615, on Flickr

Mayne -

I think get what you're saying. This kind of Euro-hipster 2kool4skool i'mjustkiddingbuti'mserious type graff. It's pretty rampant. But I don't think it's all-together bad. It's just where we've come to this point. Now you're starting to see more and more a sub-sub culture of graff. Look at most graff in the 90's to early 00's and you can see that there is a "style" of the times, even as it varied years to years and has come to fruition to what it is now. I don't know.. is it bad? It seems like graff has always been a rather slow evolver, with a few writers here and there who really break out of the tradition and start a new one. Right now it's either ultra-wicked-technical-superexpensive piecing or straight Idontgiveafuck bombing. I think there is a place in between the two which is the real heart of graff. At least for me. I will say it's more than refreshing to know that places like Oakland and San Diego are still super dedicated to straight bombing and original piecing. The level of dedication out here on the West Coast is stunning.

I miss that shit from what I felt was late 90's to early 00's in Tennessee, where TM, IA, and BW were really crushing it. I think we had a good resurgence there for a bit in the mid 00's but I'm not so sure. I mean seriously, how many writers are there in the whole state? Even counting shitty ones, maybe what, 30? That's a pretty small pool to draw from. There's definitely a new generation forming right now. From what I can see (and have been) there are a couple different schools in TN right now - the kids bombing and the kids painting legal walls. But it's always been the same, I guess. One major difference now is that I feel like the legal eagles have really taken an ego boost. It's cool and all to paint legal walls, but for real - after painting the same legal wall for months on end - thinking you're the tip top hop scotch tough guy that does graffiti? Cmon, son...

I miss the dudes who really fucking crushed it. Fuck it if you had an ego, you earned it. God, the shit Zew or Smok would say to me when I was coming up. Fuck. But I ate it up. Cause I didn't do shit but paint stupid backyard spots. I don't remember a single kid from when I was painting that wasn't silent as fuck when they were talking to someone who'd been painting for years.

"Back in my day, we had respect for them older writers, and we kept our mouths shut till we'd paid our dues! And we painted Interstates in the freezing snow, till our fingers wouldn't move, uphill both ways!"

Ah, buttfuck it. I'm getting a drink.

There's a handfull of damn good writers coming up right now. I'm pretty interested to see how TN fares in the next five or ten years.

The recent Rex 2 straights have been nice. The one with the drop shadows at the Wash is nice.

This section of this wall is always chopped up by shadows, I will get better flix on the first overcast day.

After some amateur Photoshop trickery I come up with this

UHBW.jpg

Excellent work, as always.

Is there a flick of the Rex you're referring to or did I miss it?

Props to new BW's. I'll hollar at you when I get up there. Itching to paint with Tennessee kinfolk...

im a big fan of TN. and the older TN heads. the state is fun, the food is good. younger dudes still have some work to do...but they are trying! shit we all still have work to do on some fronts. but i think getting some new style dropped at random places in this state is a good thing! im not defending anyone by any means. nor am i trying to spark a disagreement, but i think giving people something a little different to look at will just broaden their horizon. and lets not kid eachother here. TN needs the fire under their ass again. BRING BACK SOUL FOOD JAM.