TENNESSEE!

SoulFoodMemphis

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'll just be perfectly honest. This thread should be deleted.

I'm not even talking about the drama between toys and established writers, or people and their girlfriends :)

While you chumps are out there feeding your ego quota for the rest of your insignificant graffiti career, some DO see this as more than just an outlet for self-admiration.

Tennessee has legitimate graffiti history dating back to the early 90's with a few writers who really made this place what it is. The TM crew and others have definitely been the most influential factor in every writer to come after who believes they have made it somewhere. This place is not built on traditional graffiti. I'm not sure where the passion for creating original work with EFFORT went to, but it certainly can't be said for about 2/3rds of those out here today.

Stop trying to be popular by painting for numbers, starting pointless beef, worrying about promotion, and being introspective. Try and get something out of what you are doing that you won't forget or regret looking back on. You will want to look back at what you have created and what friends you have made and SMILE. Think about what you are doing and try to keep things moving forward FOR TENNESSEE WRITERS AS A WHOLE. In other words, stop thinking about yourself and what you want others to think of you.

tools

• Like 1

I'll just be perfectly honest. This thread should be deleted.

I'm not even talking about the drama between toys and established writers, or people and their girlfriends :)

While you chumps are out there feeding your ego quota for the rest of your insignificant graffiti career, some DO see this as more than just an outlet for self-admiration.

Tennessee has legitimate graffiti history dating back to the early 90's with a few writers who really made this place what it is. The TM crew and others have definitely been the most influential factor in every writer to come after who believes they have made it somewhere. This place is not built on traditional graffiti. I'm not sure where the passion for creating original work with EFFORT went to, but it certainly can't be said for about 2/3rds of those out here today.

Stop trying to be popular by painting for numbers, starting pointless beef, worrying about promotion, and being introspective. Try and get something out of what you are doing that you won't forget or regret looking back on. You will want to look back at what you have created and what friends you have made and SMILE. Think about what you are doing and try to keep things moving forward FOR TENNESSEE WRITERS AS A WHOLE. In other words, stop thinking about yourself and what you want others to think of you.

tools

Brother,I can agree with you on some points,but you are coming off a little bit self righteous for being anonymous. I can agree that there were a lot of established writers that started graffiti in Tennessee,mostly Nashville (correct me if I'm wrong),but where you go wrong is the fact of "traditional" graffiti. I was noticing graffiti thru skateboarding when I was 11 yrs old in 95/96,and eveything I remember seeing was very "traditional". That,I know for a fact,because as much as an ignorant prick as I may seem (due mostly to a loose toungue and short temper),I do have a good memory and can remember clear as day seeing Ounze,Revok,Click,Verse,Benoe,and Blaze straight letters back then (traditional). Not having a car or internet access at 11,i didnt have access to the photos of legal and semi-legal spots that had the pieces,although I have seen the flicks of pieces from those days-Race,Tackz,Masevo,Verse,Revok,Seven,Quest/Hevn pieces that were fire,but still traditional. So,up until around 97/98,everything that I saw was out in the streets,illegal,and traditional,and even the pieces from the Brickyard and the Line Yard that I didnt see until later,still all traditional. So,this also argues the point of what you are saying about quality over quantity. What is was accesible to me as a youngster was the shit that I couldnt turn my head without seeing,and that was most notably AM7 crew,as well as MSG,and IA (which was cool as fuck when I was put down in one of the crews that got me really interested in graffiti.RIP). If it wasnt for these crews and their "numbers",I myself,as well as probably many others that are doing graffiti today,would not have really even known what it was about. This city and I'd venture to say this state was based on "traditional" graffiti and numbers. TM has their own non-traditional style,and they were one of the crews that got me interested in piecing,but that is THEIR thing,not everyone else's. If everyone else were to follow suit,copycats would,through no control of TM's,dilute that style in general.The way that I look at it is without the numbers in graffiti,who are you. Anyone that doesnt have graffiti ADD can tell you that I definitely had the numbers around 2003/2004,and then fell off for a few years. Now,since the graffiti scene is so finicky and forgetful,I've had kids tell me I lied about being in IA becuase they werent around in 2003,and I hadnt really done much since. That's how important numbers are. And that's not self admiration,that is the goal of graffiti,get seen.Im not trying to be an asshole and say you're wrong,I'm just putting in my own personal experience,and speaking logically instead of once again being the one to call people out and be a dick (which im sorry for.....sometimes). At any rate,you've got your take,and this is a shortform version of mine. Sorry for the long winded "back in the day" speech. - ask42

and yes,I'm still going to call people out. if i've met you and was cool to you,than youre my partner and i'll go to back for you anytime. fuck everyone else. 42

tools

There's nothing wrong with painting "traditional" graffiti. Just because some members of TM painted some different looking shit 8 years ago doesn't obligate anyone to copy them now...I'm all for innovation in graff, but don't confuse innovation with jumping on the abstract bandwagon.

The right graff mentality is a lot more important than what style you're into...you could just strictly do tags downtown and get more respect than someone painting "non-traditional" graffiti under a bridge. Let's advance the scene in TN with more graff and less internet forum culture.