12oz foreign exchange thread: rocinhajj

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of God was a movie "based" on a true story but alot of it is like holywod exageration.

Yes there is poor people, yes there is drugs but not every day is shooting and bad things.

It is sad to see the news becase all they talk about favelas is bad things, but there is much good here too.

1441507208_e7a0e06c1e.jpg

As Roler, Estephania and I start walking into the bottom of Rocinha, Roler is asking me were i want to paint next. It was amazing to me to walk around a place and just point at walls i want to paint and be able to do it with no issue. This was possible because the favelas have many many walls and lots of them are bare and not attractive.

I found a wall that already had a coat of latex on it so i knew the spraypaint would lay down smoother. I ask Roler if it was OK and of course he said i could. Just across from the wall was this this woman. She was behind a walk up counter and was obviously a seamstress. She was selling other little items like snacks, chips and candy. I remembered i had a hole in my wallet where the stiching was coming undone. I explained to Roler in broken Portuguese that i needed her to repair my wallet and she agreed.

As i painted the wall, she sewed my wallet back together and watched me paint along with many random kids roaming the labyrinth of paths in the favela. When i was finished, she was finished and did it for no charge. I was shocked!! She obviously knew i wasnt Brasilian and could have got me for a good price. This made my day and put many things in perspective. I returned the favor by writing HER name on the wall.

=)

i think it is pretty ignorant to say that all or most poor/homeless people in the US are that way because they are stupid or lazy. I'm shocked to hear you guys saying this.

other than that though, bump. This is some interesting stuff, thanks Rocinhajj

i think it is pretty ignorant to say that all or most poor/homeless people in the US are that way because they are stupid or lazy. I'm shocked to hear you guys saying this.

other than that though, bump. This is some interesting stuff, thanks Rocinhajj

\

i agree

it seems most of our homeless are crazies that should be in a mental hospital

or strait tweaked/cracked out

this thread is amazing, with the photos (which some are now the background to my laptop) and all the info... you said that there arn't that many shootings in Rocinha, but is it more common in other favelas or do they generally work the same? this is just so interesting to me, and i love the way that the community works to warn each other when cops are comming using fire crackers. thank you for taking the time to put some of your experiences into words for us.

hahahha..

the kids let off BOTTLEROCKETS to warn the drug dealers at the top of the hill to hide everything and prepare for some shit to go down..

BUT..

kids are always letting off those blackcat firecrackers that just POP really loud and sound like a fucking machine gun..

i remember MANY times i would walk by and hear these things go off but not see it, I was jumping and coving my head and shit..AHAHAAH! the people i was with from the favela were all laughing at me..

sad but true

Ok in regards to the homeless issue. I am here in san francisco now and most of the people who begs money talk normal and walk normal, no problems..I guess SOME (NOT ALL) you that live in the USA just assume everthing come easy, here in the US the system is set so really nobody is to starve. You have welfare, food stamps and many programs socail to help people. Yes many homelss are mentally ill but MANY kids I see in the Haight sbury neighborhood are just look to get soemthing for nothing. I ask two guys why thy beg, they tell me becase they do NOT want to work, these guys were about 23-24 full body talk normal no problems to be see, but WHY they chose to get something for nothing?

Here people live in housing projet...get money from the goverment and like one guy say before in this post..some of them drive 40.000$ cars have fancy expense jewlry, but do not take care of all the kids they make or help the woman with raise the kids....why is this? and then still they COMPLAIN about how bad it is...Please give me a break about this..the USA have so many oportunities is you work and study..nobody going to GIVE you anything..it is a human responsibilty to educate yourself and find your oportunity....I am here in the USA now for a short time, I have nothing special about me, I am simple favela boy, but I like to work, I find oportunity to get some little work. If I can find some, anybody come. I just find out in san francsico city college they have FREE classes in many subjets like computers, english, business..people need to use these classes to better ther lifes...

In Brazil NOTHING is for FREE and goverment do not care about favelas or favelados..nothing..they only care when it is time to vote..these politicos come in the favelas saying they going to help, throw a few t shirts to the kids....make promises but NEVER help..there is NO welfare, foodstamps nothing for us..I teach the kids that Education is only good to GIVE you the knowlege to MAKE CHOICES about what you do in your life. But education is about take your own responsibility to STUDY..and not blame others for your problems..I grew up hard life, my brother shot killed by police, my family not together many things are hard..BUt i make NO excuses for the bad in my life..it is MY RESPONSIBILTY to EARN my way! not expect others to just give me....In the FAVELA almost everbody WORKS..you have no choice...you do not work...you starve..

In the favelas there are shooting but it is not everyday like the news make it sound..in Rio there are more then 700 favela comunities so of course every day in one cominity or another if the police go in aggressive there will be shooting..

Ok with the Police, if there is agreement between the police and traficantes, the traficnates pay the police to stay out of the favela and turn there back to selling of drugs..sometime the dono do morro wil hear about some police abusing residents and may refuse to pay becase part of th agreemnt is to not make troubles for the residents of the favela. If some bad police hits or abuses some resident sometime the traficante will not pay the police or break the agreement and then the trouble starts..Also you have X-9 who is a guy who informat to the police about trafickers in exchange for money. Sometime when they are involved they give wrong information and troubles begin..It is very complicate this stuff..If the trafickers catch you if you inform to the police, the trafickers will KILL you..In the FAVELA the police is NOT your friend..

MY father always tell me this and I NEVER forget:

"Se voce quer oportunidade fora da favela, voce precisa de estudar!"

"If you want oportunity outside of the favela, you need to study"

I live by this every day and I am never do university, but educate myself in other ways, like reading, computers and listen in my mentors who help guide me to a honest life.

I must say. . .this thread is dope bro keep up the good work. I must agree with on what you are saying in regards to the humans living in the USA. . . The thing that sucks about America, is the gonverment that is in office as we speak. . . They have an agenda that is not for the people. It is for the rich. . . . I trip out on that fact that if you make more that 250,000 a year, then you dont have to pay taxes like if you made 75,000 a year. . . . . . shit like that trips me out. . . .

But there are a lot of people in the USA that are looking to get some thing for free on a dailly. I live In PHX,AZ and I use the bus system to get around and there are alwasy fools asking me for some thing. . . Shit gets old fast, I work my 40hrs a week and i have my own bills to pay let alone giving some one change or even a fucking cigarette. . . . That shit cost and plus i dont feel the need to help any one that is not willing to help them self. . . .

The wrting below is from another web site, but this guy write the truth aboutt he situation in Brazil about favelas..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What most people fail to see is that most favelas started mostly because:

- corrupt governments in the North and Northeast of the country chose to "expel" people rather than work to give those people conditions to make a decent living where they were born

- cheap labour was needed during the economic boom of the 70's and this fueled one of the largest peace-time migratory waves in the history of humankind. And again, corrupt governments did not invest in housing and education for these migrants.

The result is millions of people who have little or no formal education, who are usually offered the lowest paying jobs, who are segregated, who are looked down on by Brazil's white middle-class, who have fewer and fewer chances of joining mainstream Brazil and who sometimes have to resort to whatever means available to survive.

Favelas started on the wrong foot and they will be around for a long time unless governments decide to take up the challenge of respecting citizens regardless of their wealth, ethnicity or place of origin.

In the meantime, crime might be the only light at the end of the proverbial tunnel for poor, coloured young people.

And all this is a crying shame.

Most interesting thread in a long time.

I get culture, geography, and social philosophy packed into 3 pages.

Has me wondering why I hate work so much. It isn't the labor itself, I work hard doing wholecars and chopping down trees and thorns to create wall space at illegal spots. I just can't stand doing somebody else's work, even if they pay me. I would rather work directly to get what I need (hunt, gather, fish) than work for someone who then gives me what I need, but that is not feasible in this society.

I hate my neighbors, and vice versa. Certain neighbors could die and I would be happier, they make being at home miserable. I don't have a community, just friends who live in different towns. When closely examined, it is a strange way to live. Thank you rocinhajj for providing some perspective.

yeah its difficult to tell if his policies are just being ignored by other corrupt members of govt

or if he has just given up and joined them. but from where i stand he seems like a good guy.

i cant imagine trying to change anything in the american govt.

if you step too far left or right nothing gets done.

lobbyists and corporations should have been illegal a long time ago.

well I am a simple guy and I know there is not much I can do in my own goverment becase we in the favelas are not even recognize by anybody..even on maps where favelas are suposed to be you do not see them becase they do not put favela on the map....All I can do is to educate myself and try help others in my comunity.