MLS (Soccer) Megathread

En Sabah Nur

it's a little late in the season, but that means the playoffs are coming. who's your team?

13552a.gif

just like other Kansas City sports, we seem to do well against the good teams, and lose to the shitty ones... but it looks like we're in the playoffs. hopefully our defense can stop blowing goats so we'll have half a chance. I was hoping Eddie Johnson would win the Golden Boot but it's just not looking like that's going to happen. However, if we can beat the New York Energy Drinks in NJ saturday, it'll clinch a playoff berth...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

haha, i think we should start spelling it "WIZARDZ" and have laser light shows and shit. i mean lazer light showz. YeAh!!

although, some of my friends refer to weed as "wizard"... so they don't mind the name.

i actually hate the wizards' name as much as i support them. it took me until this year to realize they must have been going for a Wizard of Oz reference, which is supremely retarded, considering that Kansas City is in Missouri. not to mention that no one who lives in KC really gives too much thought to the Wizard of Oz happening anywhere near here. that shit was probably supposed to be out in western kansas or something where, you know, it's not a city.

i think they should have kept with the royalty theme that we had here in our sports teams for a good while... Royals, Kings, Monarchs, Chiefs... and name them Pharaohs or Emperors or something. i heard if the Nashville Predators come to KC they might call them the Monarchs. i also heard the Sacramento Kings' arena contract is over and there's a small chance they'd come back here, though they're more likely to build a new arena or go to Las Vegas instead.

yeah we have the worst or second worst attendance in the league.

they're planning on building a soccer-specific stadium in the next few years. arrowhead is gigantic.

i think half the problem with attendance is their name and general approach to advertising to youth soccer instead of to adults.

i think they should have kept with the royalty theme that we had here in our sports teams for a good while... Royals, Kings, Monarchs, Chiefs... and name them Pharaohs or Emperors or something. i heard if the Nashville Predators come to KC they might call them the Monarchs.

Royals, Kings, Pharaohs :lol:. What about "FC Kansas City"?

i don't know, that would be fine, except that i sort of think it's just as stupid to try to copy europe as it is to model things after other american leagues. which doesn't leave a lot of room for error. i'm okay with names like "united" but i'm not sure americans grasp the "FC/AC/CD/SC" thing, since in other countries, it's a lot more clear cut what sport you're talking about when you say "are you going to watch [city name]?" ...not to mention the word "football" and all that.

it's a weird gray area, i guess. you definitely need to maintain adult fans for anyone to take it seriously, and pulling in american fans of the EPL and other leagues is smart... but i think i'm also on the side of being a little adventurous and finding out what differences will arise in the american interpretation of everything.

chants based on rap songs, etc.

Real Salt Lake is the fucking dumbest name they could possibly have picked. There are so many reasons as to why. They should have just called them Salt Lake City.

eh, this is the MLS' way of trying to get/give credit to US soccer. they talked about doing colorado REAL as well... that would have pissed me off.