3 months in BRAZIL, and this is what happened (pt.1 photo thread)

Pfffffffffft

PART 1:

RIO DE JANEIRO....

After learning more and more about Brazil and how great it is, i decided to quit going out and spending money on stupid shit and saving my money to go to brazil for a summer. I busted my ass at work and pretty much cut out 98% of the people in my life to focus on this trip.

after a year of planning and networking with other artist and photographers, I quit my job and flew out.

being inspired by:

graffiti

chics

sonik 3000

os gemeos

and good food

favelas(slums)

3 MONTHS OF NOTHING BUT GRAFFITI, BEER, LOTS OF BEER, CHICS, THE BEACH AND GUNS AND MORE GRAFFITI

(my graff wont be shown here but a few of you will get a peek)

this is what happened..

open another tab for a soundtrack to this thread..

http://www.myspace.com/cidinhoedoca

click on the song " bonde da CDD"

brasil.JPG

533262920_85d1e51ea4.jpg

533296877_7a49d8b0b5.jpg

Within days of my arrival i find myself painting in the largest Favela(slum)"favela Rocinha" in South America. I had found these kids through a guided tour of the slum and they were down for me to paint. I was advised by the people from the tour that i would be going at my own risk and anything could happen in a section of Rio that was overrun by drug dealers and acts of violence.

After meeting up with these guys who couldnt speak a lick of english, it was strange.

I was kind of shook to go enter the slum(being a "GRINGO") It was fairly obvious that i didnt live there but i was with these guys and every drug dealer strapped with OZIs and 9mms knew my new friends and it wasnt a problem. they were actually hyped that a gringo was there to paint graffiti in there community.

this day we painted with some kid from norway.

LEDS starting to paint an octopus..

when i asked him why an octopus, he replied in Portuguese, "ive never seen one before"

1260818891_d7d1faa834.jpg

good times with beer and paint..

ROLER

1287296329_baafac9f13.jpg

1261637056_84e5a348e5.jpg

1260828809_f3b9d4fe98.jpg

leds, aussie guy, 3 dudes from norway, roler, norway chic.

1260848399_032e7cc64b.jpg

cheap beer in the hood..

this beer was about 50 cents US

1288344166_35422f08f9.jpg

1288171284_97e614904f.jpg

this is when shit

started getting weird..

1261017939_ccc8cfd026.jpg

I met a drug dealer in Rocinha who called himself GIGANTE. he was a member of the imfamous drug gang A.D.A. (amigos do amigos)--which translate to "friends of friends". ADA runs ALL of Rocinha and controls the population, the drug sales in the favela that holds 250,000 people.

GIGANTE was drinking a beer along with Roler and i when he proudly showed me his 9mm Strapped to his waist. He was excited that I was there painting in his favela. He offered me Marijauna and asked for a can of paint. I gave him a can of paint and this is what he wrote.

I quickly finished my beer because things started feeling weird. I knew it was time to say goodbye and head back to copacabana. Jeremy and I waited for a good five minutes for the right bus to pick us up and up walked a kid about 16 with a sawed off shotgun. The situation was totally relaxed and calm but my mind was racing and i was getting more impatient. I told jeremy we were getting on the next bus out of the favela. The next bus came and it took us to Leblon. what a day!

533262904_65dfa1b947.jpg

studio/home of Leds and Roler..

chair made of 2 liter bottles and packing tape..

you get innovative when poor...

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice pictures! i seen the ones you posted in the meals thread.

thanks for sharing! cool soundtrack too.

i think gigante was just trying to let you know what time it is.

but its good that you bounced. no bueno to get caught up in their mix.

speaking of getting inovative when youre poor..

MORE PAINTING..

this wall was commissioned for acme and crew.

a major film production company wanted burners for scenes of a movie that was being filmed in the area..free montana, free dinner and free baile funk music that was blasting from one of the houses in the favela. Facing this wall is the Ipanema entrance to Favela Cantagalo. It was an interesting mix of people who were watching us paint this night. Thanks to BEAM for putting me on to this wall. Also thanks to ACME, OCRISPO, and MACHINTAL for the great experience. afterward we went bombing with the left over paint..

1358263535_14bcb4c094.jpg

1358267565_932c116ef6.jpg

1358271259_a47dacd081.jpg

1358277711_f614ff09a0.jpg

1358286379_7fe6b87635.jpg