Last One Standing

Hayabusa

http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/pick_league.cfm?clientID=29&leagueID=0

this show looks savage as fuck

im going to hopefully manage to tape it tomorrow night, and it better be dope

anyone else kinda stoked?

Check Out 'Last One Standing,' Oct. 4 On Discovery Channel

In the thrilling new Discovery Channel series "Last One Standing," six athletes - three American and three British - are immersed in the most remote tribes in the world, where they live alongside and train with indigenous tribesmen as they prepare to represent their host tribe in raw and intense competition.

From death-defying Zulu stick fighting in South Africa to an arduous foot race in the Mexican mountains-wearing only handmade sandals-these men push their physical and mental limits to see who really is the last warrior standing. This new 12-part series premieres Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 9 PM ET/PT.

The diverse group of athletes are at the top of their game-there is a BMX rider, a strongman competitor, an Oxford University sportsman, a hiker and endurance athlete, a kickboxer and a British all-rounder and fitness professional. Together they compete in an array of tribal games and rite of passage ceremonies, where competition is frequently a metaphor for war. Completely immersed in a tribal culture, the adventurers live among the village warriors to train and prepare for the battle that lies ahead-no concessions are made.

Will the sprinter be able to keep up in the long-distance running competitions held by the remote Tarahumara Indians across punishing terrain in northern Mexico? Will the Florida BMX'er (who had never before left the United States) stand a chance against the fierce Kalapalo wrestlers in Brazil? Will any of the six make a showing endurance canoeing in Papua, New Guinea?

LAST ONE STANDING gives a view into parts of the world removed from civilization. The competitors travel to Kalapalo, Brazil (wrestling); Zulu, South Africa (stick fighting); Tarahumara, Mexico (endurance running); Mongolia (wrestling); Trobriand Islands (tribal cricket); Sumi, Nagaland (Akikiti kickboxing); Senegal (wrestling); Papua, New Guinea (canoe racing); Brazil (Kraha log racing); Peru (glacial challenge); Java (martial arts); and Vanuatu (canoe racing).

Competitors are:

Rajko, 29 - British All-Rounder and Ex-World Record Holder

Jason, 21 - Florida State BMX Champion, 2006

Richard, 21 - Oxford University Sportsman - Cricket, Rugby and Croquet

Brad, 28 - American Pro Lightweight Strongman

Mark, 26 - British Salsa Dancer and Kickboxer

Corey, 22 - Hiker and Endurance Athlete

The six athletes are from dramatically different regions and cultures themselves and, while forced to compete against each other, they also formed an unlikely brotherhood. For most of them, the journey was spiritual and emotional as well as a competition. As Corey from Alaska observes, "We came into this as a competition-we put on our game faces during the matches. But as soon as we're done with that, we're family." As well, the competitors formed strong bonds with their host tribal families. Brad from Oklahoma remarks of the Mongolian villagers, "They took us in like family and treated us like their adopted sons."

Not only were the athletes expected to compete in a sport they only just learned, but they were also faced with language barriers, health issues and culture shock. "The toughest part for me was the lack of proper nutrition," claimed Strongman Brad. "I couldn't get enough fuel and energy to compete at a peak level." And culture shock set in during the Brazilian rite of passage in which piranha teeth were scraped on the athletes' legs and the open wounds were rubbed with salt and chillies. "It was searingly painful," recalls Richard. "The scraping was bad enough, but the chillies brought a new level of pain. However, it made me feel integrated and was a great boost before the competition."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Seems like Discovery channel is getting more and more on the entertainment side and less and less on the educational side, which sucks.

Educating is a thing of the past unfortunately.

It'd be nice just to these 'tribes' do their own thing without the outsiders...

Watching now..

nor do i

congratulate yourself.

nice. it just occurred to me that I don't have a tv anymore either(just moved)... most of the shit I watch is via laptop or online.

but

funny enough, I go to chill with some friends tonight and they have this show on...

it's not bad at all. kinda interesting to see the interaction between the athletes and the tribe, but honestly I'm not hooked. it still reminds me of 'reality tv' with all the little clips about the athletes' opinions...