what the fuck kind of dream?

iloveboxcars

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

dreams are definately represent some of our realities. There are 3 types of dreams.

Dreams that come from shaitan (the devil) , Dreams that are a type of true revelation from God and dreams that are a type of rambling of the mind. The third type is the most common one and even they represent things in our lives that our subconscious mind holds.

I've heard of people who are avid dream interpreters, who can extract some of the meanings in a dream, but it's a science that's connected to tangible knowledge, not just something people conjure up and can mean whatever they want it to mean.

I posted the Link on the first page but you guys are too lazy to read

Dreams: Night School

A hundred years after Freud, one man may have figured out why we dream. You'll never think the same way about nightmares again.

What happens when a rat stops dreaming? In 2004, researchers at the University of Wisconsin at Madison decided to find out. Their method was simple, if a bit devilish. Step 1: Strand a rat in a tub of water. In the center of this tiny sea, allot the creature its own little desert island in the form of an inverted flowerpot. The rat can swim around as much as it pleases, but come nightfall, if it wants any sleep, it has to clamber up and stretch itself across the flowerpot, its belly sagging over the drainage hole.

In this uncomfortable position, the rat is able to rest and eventually fall asleep. But as soon as the animal hits REM sleep, the muscular paralysis that accompanies this stage of vivid dreaming causes its body to slacken. The rat slips through the hole and gets dunked in the water. The surprised rat is then free to crawl back onto the pot, lick the drops off its paws, and go back to sleep—but it won't get any REM sleep.

Step 2: After several mostly dreamless nights, the creature is subjected to a virtual decathlon of physical ordeals designed to test its survival behaviors. Every rat is born with a set of instinctive reactions to threatening situations. These behaviors don't have to be learned; they're natural defenses—useful responses accrued over millennia of rat society.

The dream-deprived rats flubbed each of the tasks. When plopped down in a wide-open field, they did not scurry to the safety of a more sheltered area; instead, they recklessly wandered around exposed areas. When shocked, they paused briefly and then went about their business, rather than freezing in their tracks the way normal rats do. When confronted with a foreign object in their burrow, they did not bury it; instead, they groomed themselves. Had the animals been out in the wild, they would have made easy prey.

The surprise came during Step 3. Each rat was given amphetamines and tested again; nothing changed. If failure to be an effective rat were due to mere sleep deprivation, amphetamines would have reversed the effect. But that didn't happen. These rats weren't floundering because they were sleepy. Something else was going on—but what?

What Dreams Are Made Of

Dreaming is so basic to human existence, it's astonishing we don't understand it better. It consumes years of our lives, and no other single activity exerts such a powerful pull on our imaginations. Yet central as dreaming is, we still have no idea why we dream. Freud saw dreams as convoluted pathways toward fulfilling forbidden aggressive and sexual wishes; frightening dreams were wishes in disguise—wishes so scary, he believed, they had to transmute themselves into fear and masquerade as nightmares.

Later came the idea that dreams are the cognitive echoes of our efforts to work out conflicting emotions. More recently, dreams have been viewed as mere "epiphenomena"—excrescences of the brain with no function at all, the mind's attempt to make sense of random neural firing while the body restores itself during sleep. As Harvard sleep researcher Allan Hobson puts it, dreams are "the noise the brain makes while it's doing its homework."

"There's nothing closer to a consensus on the purpose and function of dreaming than there's ever been," says Deirdre Barrett, a Harvard psychologist and editor of the forthcoming The New Science of Dreaming. Indeed, no theory has been able to reconcile the findings of various subdisciplines of dream science. Until now.

Finnish psychologist Antti Revonsuo believes the marooned rats lost their ability to defend themselves not because they were exhausted but because they were robbed of their dreams. Dreams, he contends, are a training ground in which animals and people alike go over the behaviors that are key to their survival. Prevented from dreaming, the rats were unable to rehearse their survival behaviors. In other words, they were defenseless because they were out of practice.

A Theater of Threats

Say you're in a fight and somebody wraps his arms around you from the front, pinning your arms to your sides—a bear hug. Most people reflexively stiffen their body. But this is actually the worst thing to do; making your body rigid makes you easier to lift—and lets your assailant pick you up and drop you on your head, or worse, haul you off somewhere.

Better to bend your knees and lower your center of gravity so you're harder to lift. You're then free to punch your aggressor's testicles, claw the skin on his back, kick out his knee, stomp his foot, even bite his neck—unappetizing options, but effective against even the biggest thug.

The difference between the typical and optimal response could save your life. But making such a reaction swift and automatic takes practice. It's the reason martial arts students drill their movements over and over. Frequent rehearsal prepares them for that one decisive moment, ensuring that their response in an actual life-or-death situation is the one they practiced.

Dreams may do the same thing. A dream researcher at the University of Turku, in Finland, Revonsuo believes that dreams are a sort of nighttime theater in which our brains screen realistic scenarios. This virtual reality simulates emergency situations and provides an arena for safe training. As Revonsuo puts it, "The primary function of negative dreams is rehearsal for similar real events, so that threat recognition and avoidance happens faster and more automatically in comparable real situations."

Faced with actual life-or-death situations—traffic accidents, terrorist attacks, street assaults—some people report entering a mode of calm, rapid response, reacting automatically, almost without thinking. Afterward, they often say the episode felt unreal, as if it were all a dream. Threat simulation, Revonsuo believes, is why.

A Season in Hell

As a grad student in psychology in the early 1990s, Revonsuo often had bad dreams. What struck him the most was how lifelike they were. "I would say to myself, in my dream, 'Oh shit! I've dreamt of this before, but now this is really happening!' " he recalls.

"Credible world analogs" are what cognitive psychologist David Foulkes calls dreams. Although we tend to dwell on the bizarreness of dreams, most dreams are quite mundane, Foulkes notes. You move around, talk, run, interact with others, experience emotions, and feel the passage of time, just as in everyday life.

When Revonsuo began studying dreams, he asked his students to start keeping logs of their own nocturnal escapades. He noticed something striking. The dreams were filled with dangerous events, negative emotions, monsters, chases, escapes, fights, and near-death experiences. The dream world was a hellscape of danger, teeming with threatening events far more sinister than in waking life.

These weren't the misfirings of diseased brains. Threat dreams were the norm, accounting for a staggering two-thirds of all dreams. Revonsuo discovered that we grossly underestimate the number of nightmares we have. As it turns out, we have 300 to 1,000 threat dreams per year—one to four per night. Just under half are aggressive encounters: physical aggression such as fistfights, and nonphysical aggression such as verbal arguments. The rest are about car crashes, falling and drowning, missing a meeting or a test, being lost or trapped, and being naked in public. The whole dream world seemed to have a negative bias: more negative emotions than positive ones, more misfortune than good fortune, more nightmares than fantasy.

It goes on 3 more pages http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=20071029-000003&page=1

everytime some kind of tragedy happens my parents link them to dreams they had nights before.

just minutes ago my mom got off the phone with my aunt and told me some relatives died in a fire in Pensilvania right before christmas. she told me she had a dream with a lot of people praying. now there's people in mexico praying for them and waiting for their bodies.

about two nights ago i had a dream with my brothers newborn baby.

i dreamed the baby somehow pulled his iv cable out of his nose.

the next morning my brother told me that the baby pulled the iv cable from his nose and the nurse had to shub it back in as the baby cried.

cool thread!

My dreams divide roughly to ones I know are dreams and ones I "know" are "real" (but aren't).

Latter are rare, but pretty awakening (no pun)

Most memorable realistic dreams for me are usually knowing the exact location of a big stash of money or guns or drugs, hidden in my apartment. Of course it's not there, but I always wake up and know it's there.

Then I realize I don't have that room in my apartment so it's not there. Big disappointment.

I've also had a mix of the two kinds of dreams. I know I'm having a dream but pretend not knowing, trying to fool someone. I grab a big pile of money and try to wake up with that money in my hand, grabbing it real hard.

Unfortunately I haven't succeeded in smuggling dream money in real life just yet.

I've also committed murder in my sleep and woke up feeling enormous guilt, knowing I have murdered someone.

Then realize I didn't do it and remind myself just in case to never kill anyone, ever.

Funny thing is, in the dream I'm getting away with it and biggest part of the guilt is the fact that the law doesn't care in the dream, so committing it was more of me wanting to kill than me feeling righteous and killing regardless of the consequence... having the excuse of admittedly knowing to do "the right thing".

I just realized that my dream somehow questioned the legal correlation b/ween manslaughter and murder. but whatever I'm ranting and I need sleep

/no homo slips like freudian

• 2 years later...

old dream thread bump. Shits getting out of hand here.

Every night my dreams involve breaking lots of laws and

shit needs to stop. Im stressed every day then i have a

hard time falling asleep and then i dream about fucked up

shit. Take last night for instance. I had found out about

a house where they were growing dro. So me and a couple

people i kno broke in and ransacked the place. 1/3 of

this dream i was looking for shit. I found money, tree,

other random things. the next 1/3 i was in there freaking

out because i thought i left fingerprints and had been in

there too long. The final third i was making my getaway.

Actually i left out the back and there were police there

saying "look how hes tryin to conceal his identity" So

i got up, took a leak and when i went back to sleep & went

out the side window instead. Then it was a crazy being

chased nightmare.

Im not a very good person when i'm unconscious. Its like

this every night tho. I never think about wholesome shit. Its

always some unsavory bad look shit

• 2 years later...

Dreams

I wanna hear some dream stories. Or some that wake you up, leaving you like what the fuck. I have a lot of fucking dreams. Hot bitches i've never been with, but maybe will see someday. I read about them a lot and no body really knows what the fuck they are. I have some that when i wake up i almost feel like I had been on acid all night again or something. Call em acid dreams, cuz its like dreaming when your on acid. (still have the image of an evil clown imprinted in my brain from my first time frying on the Appalachian Trail ahah)

Had one awhile ago where it was like being on a train or plane or something going by a seaside city like atlantis or something. i just remember being in awe during and after i woke up that morning. seen a flying lionshead eagle awhile ago, damn thing floated through the clouds. Sooo freakin majestic but I drew it and it can't do it justice. Dreams just inspire me sometimes for thoughts and writing and what not. Got any good ones?