People with tattoo's stay the fuck out.

CILONE/SK

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=57db782b-9874-4b37-aa00-0402ab8a7ab1

It's against the law for landlords to discriminate based on the color of a person's skin. But can they reject you because of what's on your skin?

Some San Antonio apartment complexes are refusing to rent to people with tattoos and body piercings. News 4 WOAI Trouble Shooter Jaie Avila investigates the case of one couple who says that policy is unfair.

Gilbert Carrillo thinks tattoos are an artform. He's been to tattoo conventions and one of his tattoos was featured in a magazine. "Ever since I was 18, to now, 25, bit by bit, covering up here, covering up there."

But last month, Carrillo's tattoos kept him and his wife, Melissa, from moving into an apartment complex called the Villas at Medical Center. "We liked the apartment, we brought them a check for the deposit and a check for the application fee," says Melissa.

Later, Gilbert went by to look at the apartment wearing a short sleeve shirt. The next day, the Carrillos were told they didn't qualify to live there, because the tattoos on Gilbert's arms violated the policy on personal appearance.

"For them to be so judgmental on a person's appearance, and for them to judge someone based on them having a tattoo is just ridiculous, you know," says Melissa.

The Carrillos were also upset that the manager refused to refund their full $70 application fee. But mostly, they feel the policy is discriminatory.

So the Trouble Shooters went to the Villas at Medical Center to hear their side of it.

The manager, Daisy Salazar, said she wasn't allowed to talk to us. "We have our own lawyers, I can't speak to anyone," said Salazar.

But we didn't give up. We contacted one of the owners of the apartments: A southern California doctor named Edward Frankel.

Frankel e-mailed us a statement saying his apartment complexes do, in fact, "reject prospective tenants who have... tattoos exposed on the neck, head, hands and wrists, or large tattoos that cover over 40% of the lower or upper arm."

Frankel says, "We do not discriminate. The above applies to persons of any race, color, gender, etc."

Frankel, and his partners, have purchased numerous upscale apartment complexes in San Antonio and Dallas, where they've also banned pierced eyebrows and tongues. Tenants can't have more than one nose piercing, or more than five earrings.

Local fair housing officials say the rules may be unusual, but they are not illegal.

"Refusing to rent to somebody because they have tattoos may be unfair, but it's not discrimination under the fair housing act, unless the tattoos are specific to the person's religion or national origin," says Sandy Tamez of the San Antonio Fair Housing Council.

After the Trouble Shooters started looking into the case, the apartment complex refunded the Carrillos' full application fee.

But the couple is still angry that a landlord would consider body art to be the mark of a bad tenant.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That is some bullshit. you know about 1/4 of the american populus, if not more has Visable tattoos or "Abnormal" piercings of some sort. I work for Ocean Mystique, a tattoo and piercing company in Virginia Beach. I here about this type of shit all the time. Its retarded is what it is. I think I need to start shooting satupid people!!!!!!!!!

that's pretty fucking ridiculous. it also, unfortunately, applies to jobs in most cases. the only place that includes tattoos in it's anti-discrimination laws as far as employment goes is DC.

i have a hard time with this

Frankel e-mailed us a statement saying his apartment complexes do, in fact, "reject prospective tenants who have... tattoos exposed on the neck, head, hands and wrists, or large tattoos that cover over 40% of the lower or upper arm."

Frankel says, "We do not discriminate. The above applies to persons of any race, color, gender, etc."

how the fuck is that not discrimination? just because you turn away everyone with tattoos, regardless of race or gender, that means you're not discriminating? how about the fact that you're discriminating against people with tattoos/piercings?

absolutely retarded.

That is some bullshit. you know about 1/4 of the american populus, if not more has Visable tattoos or "Abnormal" piercings of some sort. I work for Ocean Mystique, a tattoo and piercing company in Virginia Beach. I here about this type of shit all the time. Its retarded is what it is. I think I need to start shooting satupid people!!!!!!!!!

start by merking yourself

Eh, I mean... I don't condone this, but I will say, I have tattoos on my hands and neck and I don't really care. For one, when you make decisions to do things like this to yourself you have to expect people to sometimes not like it. You also have to expect you will compromise the amount of opportunities available to you because sometimes the people who are in control of said opportunities are infact the same people who you are turning off. It's fine. The real problem is the people themselves and why they are so upset about your personal life choices, but you have to expect this kind of thing.

^probably thinking the tattoos decrease the land value by making it look ghetto or some bullshit

edit: may turn away 'clean' renters in the future, who don't want to live next to some 'degenerate'

i expect this kind of shit to happen with jobs, but i never thought some1 would turn u away at living somewhere. especially if they could afford the damn place

i've been turned down jobs because of my piercings and tattoos. i understand thats life in our society... doesn't really upset me. like KOH said, if they don't want me, i don't want to live/work there.

its discrimination, but not of a protected class, so its legal. "tattooed/modified" is not a creed the US government should protect. most piercings and tattoos are dumb/shitty/bad in general...

Some people just dont like tattoos. Deal with it. When I go to job interviews/court/meetings with landlords, I put on a clean collared shirt and sweater. Boom. Not that I feel like I HAVE TO hide anything, but peoples first impressions matter, even if they are ignorant.

I especially love when I'm court and people show up in torn/filthy clothes and just looking generally unkempt. Put on a fucking clean shirt you pile of shit.

Texas is Texas, why not Austin?

Most people think that all Texas is the same.

It's not the case.

"Keep Austin Wierd" is the town's motto.

Tourists buy shirts that say as much.

42951hnt.jpg

http://www.keepaustinweird.com/

Something like this.

It's the "Live Music Capitol of the World"..which means a ton of musicians live here.

It is common for musicians to have tattoos.

Austin is pretty artsy.

I think those kind of people like tattoos as well.

These people call Austin home.

They are well known and respected around town.

katzen.jpg

enigmafeature8.jpg

20041109.jpg

(Leopard Larry)

I don't know exact numbers, but a large majority of people in Austin have tattoos and/or piercings.

So much so, that nobody even looks at you twice unless it is taken to the complete extreme, such as full facial tattoos.

She has low self-esteem.

And lets dudes treat her horribly.

She recently had a baby, which I think was a huge mistake.

The baby's father is totally sleazy and creepy and makes me feel uncomfortable with his non-stop sexual advances.

She never says a word about it, just sits to the side and looks sad.

I don't like women that don't know how to stand up for themselves.