Burma and Aung San Suu Kyi

serum

What dickhead.

Yettaw Says No Regrets

Irrawaddy daily

CHICAGO — American John Yettaw said Wednesday he has no regrets about taking a secret swim to the home of Burma's detained democracy leader—a decision that landed them both in prison—and indicated that he still believes his bizarre visit somehow saved her from being assassinated.

"If I had to do it again, I would do it a hundred times, a hundred times, to save her life," an exhausted-looking Yettaw said of Aung San Suu Kyi in an interview with The Associated Press after arriving in the US on Wednesday.

He added, "That they locked her up, it just breaks my heart."

John Yettaw of Falcon, Mo. waits for a tram between terminals at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport on August 19. (Photo: AP)

Yettaw, 53, has testified that he swam to the Nobel Laureate's house in May to warn her that he had a "vision" that she would be assassinated. Though Yettaw was released, Suu Kyi and her two live-in aides remain in detention because of Yettaw's visit, and Yettaw has been called a fool and a madman by some of her supporters.

Yettaw was wearing a blue surgical mask and clutching a green Harrods bag as he was pushed in a wheelchair through Chicago's O'Hare International Airport after his arrival. Yettaw, who has been ill since his arrest in Burma, wore the mask to guard against infection.

The American is from the tiny south-central Missouri town of Falcon, but he generated global headlines after he was arrested and sentenced to hard labor for visiting the home of Suu Kyi. Yettaw was deported Sunday from Burma after the intervention of Democratic US Sen. Jim Webb.

As he waited in Chicago to board a flight to Springfield, Missouri—his last destination after a nearly 24-hour journey from Bangkok—Yettaw sat with his head in his hands, his eyes bloodshot.

His companion, who did not identify herself, said he was "very tired." He flashed the sign language symbol for "I love you" and nodded and smiled when asked whether he was happy to be home.

When asked later if he would comment further, Yettaw said "I wish I could talk more. I can't" and made a zipper motion across his mouth. When he arrived in Springfield on Wednesday night, he was greeted by a police officer after collecting his luggage. He did not speak to media on the flight.

Yettaw had flown with Webb to neighboring Thailand on a US government plane Sunday and underwent two days of medical tests at a private Bangkok hospital.

Webb said Yettaw had suffered a "medical incident" just before leaving Burma as authorities there read him his deportation order. While in custody in a Rangoon jail during his trial, he had a seizure and was hospitalized for a week. He also reportedly suffers from diabetes and asthma.

Yettaw, a Mormon who lives on a military pension from serving in the Army for about a year in 1973, traveled to Burma in early May and donned homemade flippers for a nighttime swim to Suu Kyi's lakeside home. The incident led to a trial that sparked global condemnation in which Suu Kyi was sentenced to an additional 18 months of detention for breaching the terms of her house arrest. She has already spent 14 of the past 20 years in detention.

Suu Kyi's lawyers have described Yettaw's release was a "very ugly" turn.

Yettaw testified that he was on a divine mission to save the democracy leader, saying he had a "vision" she was going to be assassinated and wanted to warn her. Suu Kyi testified that she repeatedly asked Yettaw to leave but relented because he complained of exhaustion and she was concerned for his safety.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The US can't dump Pak though, Washington needs Pak for a workable exit strategy in Afghanistan. Also, the US/India relationship has been building for years, the nuke agreement under Bush was the watershed. India has also made it clear that it intends to have a very independent foreign policy and won't be the kind of US partner that you see in countries like Australia, UK, Japan, etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Secondly, corporations are not by default evil entities. People in developing economies want investment, development and jobs, that's what corporations can offer. Yes, they also want to make profit and yes they can do bad things. But then again, 'the people' also want profit and 'the people' can also do bad things - it's not as if corporations are owned and staffed by 'the robots' either, they are people with families as well.

I often find that people posting stuff on forums that target 'the corporations' as evil doers and sociopathic all raping, unempathetic leviathans are people who have had access to education, have a safe and secure home, don't have to scrounge for a living and own microwave ovens, computers and smartphones. All luxuries that without corporations would not have existed and all luxuries that people in developing economies would also like the opportunity to own.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The military never stepped out of the picture. Under the constitution they still held a mandatory 25% of seats in the parliament and commanded all the security agencies. To change the constitution you needed over 75% of the vote in parliament. It was never an actual democracy and with the NLD sweeping the seats in the recent election, the military wasn't willing to risk allowing the groundswell to grow any greater. Hlaing was also supposed to retire a year ago and it seems like that he wasn't prepared for ASSK to wait him out.

It will be interesting to see what kind of protest action, if any arises in broader society given the participation rate in the election and the huge turnout for the NLD.

• Props 1

Yeah, it's a chick doing aerobics for the Dept of Education (assume it's sent out to school kids that are at home due to pandemic). She was dancing to a song called Cool it Mr Hotshot, which is from Indonesia and was used as a bit of a protest song over there recently (not sure what for). The poetry of it all is really quite something.

Myanmar is a place with a lot of sadness due to the many ethnic conflicts and the dictatorship of the military. I'd love to go there but I fear it would break my heart.

• 10 months later...