I never say "I quit"

Weapon X

But should I?

I've been smoking for about 13 years now. So many real smokers around me have said "I quit" over the years, but they always came back, save for maybe a couple. That makes them liars, no?

But I like smoking. It makes me feel nice. It looks cool, sometimes. It makes me stop gritting my teeth for a couple of minutes. And I hate those super duper cheerful health freak types that wear crappy clothes with flip flops. I'm a self destructive, depressed, irritable asshole.

However, cigarettes are expensive. I am seriously considering never having another one. But then, never is a long time, and a great dinner, or a two hour fuck fest, or a fine bottle of scotch should constitute a cigarette, right?

So should I just not say "I quit" and, instead, become a social smoker that comes out on those very rare occasions? Can that work?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Nope. While not uttering the actual "I Quit" statement, the once in a while cigarette will just lead to smoking as much as before. It's kind of like going from junkie to casual heroin user. I wish I could quit but even after spending months in jail without one, it doesn't take a week before I am smoking as much as before. It usually takes a few false starts before you actually quit.

My mom smoked 2 packs a day for over 40 years and it took her many tries but with cough drops, she finally did it so it can be done. Good luck.

Yeah, true that. A nice L is better than a smoke.

When I'm at work, I see all these co-workers, managers, receptionists outside, talking and laughing and having a great time, and I've grown to resent them. I have labelled them in my head as the "Cool Crew" and always want to spit on them. Fuck 'em and their smokes. I haven't had one in two days and it's kind of driving me crazy.

I have a bag of some serious chronic right now, though. Just worried I might need a smoke even more after that.

Nope. While not uttering the actual "I Quit" statement, the once in a while cigarette will just lead to smoking as much as before. It's kind of like going from junkie to casual heroin user. I wish I could quit but even after spending months in jail without one, it doesn't take a week before I am smoking as much as before. It usually takes a few false starts before you actually quit.

My mom smoked 2 packs a day for over 40 years and it took her many tries but with cough drops, she finally did it so it can be done. Good luck.

I saw some commercial on TV for some gum called Stride that takes away the cravings, but I feel like that's sort of copping out. I kind of like this self torture. Kind of like when you really need a glass of water, but stay on the couch, regardless.

You gotta suffer to live, I say. Shit, I'll probably kill myself this Christmas anyway. Might as well do something positive in the meantime.

welllllllllll...

if you dont WANT the bag

i'd be glad to take it off your hands...

to prevent you from any more pressure

of smoking of course...

naw but for real though i know what you mean...

when i quit i just didnt acknowledge the people

around me smoking and try to block it out

with something else...

nowadays it kinda sickens me especially the

second hand smoke...

if i do smoke one it's only if i dont have any more

weed and im bored as shit and need something to do...

either way good luck with quitting if you do...

Man, I have started to look at ciggie smokers as being not the 'cool crew' you percieve them as but rather the section of society I can't relate to.

I like having my health

I like having money I can blow on other vices (as you mention)

I related it to my mum as she smokes a pack a day. That cost if you do the math, equates to driving a brand new car .

In the end it is your decision, my dad quit after smoking over a decade, as he rationalised it as I have just done for you. It makes the decision easy in my mind....

Man, I have started to look at ciggie smokers as being not the 'cool crew' you percieve them as but rather the section of society I can't relate to..

I call them "Cool Crew" out of pure sarcasm. The way they act and talk...grown men going out for smokes just for the sake of outdoor conversation.

If I were to quit, though, I would miss those quiet times out back, by myself.

I very much dislike putting tobacco in the spliff.

It's funny, though..those closet smokers. They hate on cigarettes, but insist on adding tobacco to the weed.

Hahh I can't stand people who do this.

And they have no idea how badly the unfiltered tobacco is fucking them up. They put those filters on ciggies for a reason!!!!

I don't get the whole 'I only smoke when I drink' mentality.

I mean, to me, that sounds like the lamest excuse I have ever heard, apart from 'I only fuck my friend in the butt, but as I don't recieve it I am not gay.'

Instead of hanging with your heavy smoker mate, go for a run. See how far you get. Then the next day do the same thing, and see if there is any improvement. Keep repeating until you are happy and totally rid of cigarettes.

And maybe even stop participating in this thread for a while, as it is a constant reminder of when you were smoking..

YOU CAN DO IT MATE!!!!

I went from smoking 2 packs of newports to like 2 cigs a day.

On the weekend more, weekdays sometimes none. I guess Im a social smoker or whatever...

Its all mind over matter, you just gotta concentrate on how dirty your lungs feel and how toxic it is as opposed to how much you like it. Cigarettes are kinda gross to me now, but I still buy a pack when Im drunk at the club