How many of you have actually seen this before?

King Of Hell

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the audio is authentic, herbert morrison was the announcer

wrote a small paper on this a couple years ago

*edit: one thing that is surprising, is that most people seem to think this was it's first run, which is far from the truth. It performed quite well for a year, making many trips across the Atlantic Ocean and abroad.

that audio is very real, and very famous. "oh the humanity..."

definitely have seen this, but i'm also a little older than 25. i remember my parents had this book by time magazine. it was all the greatest stories of all time. this was probably 1983, and the book was probably from the 70's. i used to stare at all the hindenburg stills from that day. it's insane how fast it went up, but i do understand why.

anyone know how many were on board?

wow, you could really feel the emotion in his voice...

and on that note:

1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

that is fucking awesome. definite shirt material. Did you make that?

Pretty rad that the hindenberg did cross atlantic trips. surreal.

damn i dont know how you could of never heard of the fuckin Hindenburg...if im not mistaken that shit was virtually a floating hotel, mad class and style...apparently there was a huge debate as to what they were going to use to keep the balloon in the air, and although i cant remember what kind of gas they used, it obviously didnt go as well as they though...very interesting story

Yup.

I was starting to type this all out, but then I figured I'd check Wikipedia and play the copy/paste game:

The Hindenburg was originally intended to be filled with helium. Most of the world's supply of helium comes from underground fields in the United States, but the United States had imposed a military embargo on helium. Eckener expected this ban to be lifted and modified the design to have double gas cells (an inner hydrogen cell protected by an outer helium cell).[1] However, Dr. Eckener was told this ban was not lifted after all. This led the Germans to modify the design of the ship to use flammable hydrogen as the lift gas.[2] It contained 200,000 m³ (7,000,000 ft³) of gas in 16 bags or cells, with a useful lift of 1.099 MN (247,100 pounds).

2 TV shows recently have dealt with what caused the explosion. Both MythBusters, and some much more authoratative Science Channel or the like show figured out it was static electricity that ignited the silver paint on the skin. It had a very flammable chemical compound in it. The hydrogen gas, which was for years blamed, was not the instigator. In fact, I think after this hydrogen balloons stopped being made in favor of helium. Ironic.