Who do we respect?

AllTheWrongWords

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say we can respect anyone artistically who has always been doing what they do. Not to sound all "punk rock 4 life dude!!" but the majority of bands and artists out there are corporate puppets. you have gay little tattooed, swoopy haired "punk rock", you have the minstrel show that is "rap", you have slick, patriotic "country music" that only appeals to white americans with the IQ of a retarded child....the majority of artists that are making money are vessels for the marketing teams of record companies who seem to think everyone wants the dumbest, lamest shit ever when it comes to music (and apparently they are right). for that matter, the same can be said for cinema, authors, etc. if you approach being an artist with the attitude that youre going to do what you love and if the money comes, its a bonus, then youre solid in my book. if you set out to make money from the get go then fuck you....go sell cars or some shit. youre an assclown.

people that fit into this category for me include...queens of the stone age, hunter s thompson, chuck palahniuk, mop, jonny cash, darren aronofsky, quentin tarantino, john krakauer, vincent cassel and, yes, christopher walken. if i was in hollywood this would be my ideal running crew.

actually, no...thats all dudes. ill have to think of some women to throw in there.

I would say we can respect anyone artistically who has always been doing what they do. Not to sound all "punk rock 4 life dude!!" but the majority of bands and artists out there are corporate puppets. you have gay little tattooed, swoopy haired "punk rock", you have the minstrel show that is "rap", you have slick, patriotic "country music" that only appeals to white americans with the IQ of a retarded child....the majority of artists that are making money are vessels for the marketing teams of record companies who seem to think everyone wants the dumbest, lamest shit ever when it comes to music (and apparently they are right). for that matter, the same can be said for cinema, authors, etc. if you approach being an artist with the attitude that youre going to do what you love and if the money comes, its a bonus, then youre solid in my book. if you set out to make money from the get go then fuck you....go sell cars or some shit. youre an assclown.

people that fit into this category for me include...queens of the stone age, hunter s thompson, chuck palahniuk, mop, jonny cash, darren aronofsky, quentin tarantino, john krakauer, vincent cassel and, yes, christopher walken. if i was in hollywood this would be my ideal running crew.

actually, no...thats all dudes. ill have to think of some women to throw in there.

Bump this..

I think guys like these are overlooked. They faced alot more shit then people now a days.

The man I have mad respect for is Joshua Chamberlain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Chamberlain

I give Lincoln his propers for having a bold and bloody vision for ending slavery and following through with it. Jefferson definitely deserves his props, and I have read that he even put anti slavery laws into the original draft of the constitution, but had to remove it to get the southern colonies to join the revolt.