Top 5 Latest Graf Trends

Unregistered

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
2 trends

1- Listening to 50 cent and thinking you are hard

2- disrespecting women

3- not thinking about a future

4- not improving you're skills.

5- dick riding anyone possible

6- jumping on whatever bandwagon there is of hate

7- doing drugs cuz its choooooooool..

8- thinking your the best at anything you do

9- running the second you are spotted bombing and never returning.

10 - doing heat spots cuz its the 'cool' thing to do

11- bringing up dirty hands in some shape or form in every thread

12- hating the government or city for no reason

13- staring everyone and everything down whereever you go

14- white kids saying the N word

15- fatcap throwies that look ugly as shit

drugs are chooooooool u fuckin square..

not that i'm against these...i might even be guilty of some of them

writing little sayings by your pieces

bubbles with highlights

drop shadows on lettes

flaring tags upside down

doing canvases with ONLY spray paint and paint markers

• 4 months later...

1.cyclists (SKINNY ASS WHEELS! pants rolled up to DA knee)

2.hipsters (i rocked the spot last night while rocking out to some bright eyes.it was mad deep. and i might have touched existentialism.)

3.scenesters (especially the ones who wear the fruity sweaters and fitted hats.)

4.tagbangers (he went over me? lets go pop that sucka.)

5.quote unquote "funky" graffiti (vear,remio,ghost,lots of ny and sf influences,etc.)

those are the trends that ive noticed.*

2 trends

1- Listening to 50 cent and thinking you are hard

2- disrespecting women

3- not thinking about a future

4- not improving you're skills.

5- dick riding anyone possible

6- jumping on whatever bandwagon there is of hate

7- doing drugs cuz its choooooooool..

8- thinking your the best at anything you do

9- running the second you are spotted bombing and never returning.

10 - doing heat spots cuz its the 'cool' thing to do

11- bringing up dirty hands in some shape or form in every thread

12- hating the government or city for no reason

13- staring everyone and everything down whereever you go

14- white kids saying the N word

15- fatcap throwies that look ugly as shit

this shit is still true for the most, may I add a few:

-crews jocking each others styles to the point that everyones shit looks the same

-new/young crews jocking older heads in there cities to the point that there shit isnt original

-white kids thinkin there "urban" cause they say nigga, listen to hip hop, freestyle, write/paint, and went to a school that had more than 30% black people

-ignorance in graff, writin nigger, spic, etc. over an ethnic cats work (shit is disgusting and disrespectful)

-crossing other writers out that u dont know and never even seen their work

-emo kids, I didnt know what that meant ( I guess they cry and like bright eyes and crybaby/depressing music) till last year and I thought emu was an animal

-graff on myspace and 12oz self promoting yourself and not getting the good shit on the streets

-lack of respect for black culture or the "hoods" where most bombs/tags are seen

-doods tryin to disassociate graff from hip hop

-general hate in this game towards other writers cause they are better or even not as good as you or your crew

there are so many trends today that it has made graff somewhat of a scene (not sayin that it is cause there are still plenty of real writers out there) instead of underground kinda like how mixtapes were in the 90's and now that shit has blown up and everybody wanna be dj drama on there computer, similar to how kids wanna pick up a sharpie and some stickers, dawn on themselves a lame ass name and say they "tag", I still have mad respect for everyone who puts in real work (bombs, pieces, fr8s, tags, even legals, etc.) I started feelin graff when I was 13 spendin summers in detroit and seein niggas bomb "6 mile bloods" and I only been in this game for 2 1/2 years (im 20 now) but I learned by peepin throwies all over the midwest and I used that and my skectchin skills to come up with some original styles, and get up by myself and wit some of my boys and taken tips from cats who were established, this taught me the difference between a "graff artist" and " poser/scenester", now I gotta a crew of my boys who get down and are spread from Ohio to Texas, multiple pieces(some toyish), some decent fr8s, bombs/tags all over the midwest and mad respect for writers all over the world, its all about doin you and bein original, not doin it cause its cool or what your friends are doin, just how I feel, here is a quote I feel is some real talk for these wannabe lames...

"I dont paint or tag for anyone but myself, and for other writers to see"

Skeme (Style Wars)

bump for the Skeme quote. Those words are for real. If you are in the game because you think it makes you "kewl" then get out before you make everybody's life worse, including your own. If you paint because you find it enjoyable, or you got something original to add to the mix, you have my respect. One thing that i guess could be considered a "trend", and I'm sure has been mentioned on here (but I've only had time to read the last page, so I'll post anyways) is kids who write without a clue about history. Of course, the people most guilty of this are the "taggers" with sharpies, who think they are suddenly down with hip hop because they made an illegible scribble on the bathroom wall of their school. I know, because I was there myself. If you want to put yourself in perspective, and take the first step towards being less toy, learn your history. I'm pretty sure anyone here would agree with me style wars is a good place to start, but it is by no means the end all. The internet has some great gems if you look, and there are some great "old school" threads on this site with pictures and words from folks that were there. There are great books out as well....basically, if you care at all about respect, there is a way for you to learn you history. I don't live in NYC, but i live withing a reasonable distance from it. And i don't know if its just me, but I certainly have found the more i read up on the past, the more exciting and interesting graff has become. I think the next time i go to the city, it will be almost like a sort of pilgrimage to mecca for me, I'll definitely have my eyes open. Anyways, I've rambled on way too much, its nothing new I guess, I just get worked up about in now. So for all you real heads out there, respect, and for all you sharpie taggers, read up or get out.

I agree with the whole 'crew' thing... that's a virus around here.

-Emo kids (i dont fucking know why they're trying do get into this)

-Ghetto 'rockstars' (if youve seen that Party like a rockstar video, youll see what im talking about)

-Unoriginal characters (mostly theyre just a smiley with the eyes replaced as X's)

-Hipsters, Hipsters, and Hipsters

-School tagging

-Idiots who would kill anyone over a marker/aerosol tag

-Kids who started writing because their mom bought them an Ecko 'graffiti-inspired' shirt

Hahaha my town is filled with half this shit. back when I was about 12 i met these writers who were pobably 16 17 at the time. They thought itd be funny if i started writing so i started and I caught the bug. Now that my styles are progressing and ive started getting more into piecing I've started noticing the internet trends in my town:

Smiley characters with x's for eyes and wack ass crowns over there name

Marks-a-lot tags

Crossing people out and not leaving their name (A couple weeks ago this started coming back hard in my town)

Kids who started writing because they firsted tagging their "drinking crew" everywhere

Biting letters from copes and skufs throw ups

not that i'm against these...i might even be guilty of some of them

writing little sayings by your pieces

bubbles with highlights

drop shadows on lettes

flaring tags upside down

doing canvases with ONLY spray paint and paint markers

wiuth the exception of the flaring all of these are not recent things

hearing self-talk motivational graffiti tapes overnight by saber

bringing your moms out to paint fr8s

scrap booking in black books

teaching your dog to write your name

pretending you're dead to claim a lot of insurance money (guilty of this one)

believing that secret service is after you and have planted a chip in your head

learn mind control

drinking 40's

acting hard

"retiring" at 18-23

racking everything including milk and toothpaste

hating emos (guilty)

drugs

being emo

MSK

throwups

not progressing (like the dude said)

fire extinguishers (cool but definitely a trend of today)

judging by this it seems calling people who aren't hip hop writers emo.. i dunno but it seems that there are alot of trends in graffiti thank fuck i don't bother with this scene shit anymore. i'd rather paint than bother about this shit really. i think whoever started this thread has opened a can of worms. of graffiti isn't hip hop it's just pure and simply a culture on it's own it may have spread with hip hop to europe but really it has fuck all to do with except this four element stuff.

Archived