Cattle Myth: The one thats been on my mind lately

hatetown

Since recently I've been stickin to the notion that AC actually uses more gas in your car. But since I live in Texas, south Texas to be exact, driving without AC means arriving to your destination drenched in sweat.

So is it true or not that AC uses more gas? Or does it actually not affect the gas?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Car Myth: The one thats been on my mind lately

It depends on how old your car is.

But seriously, fuck not using AC in Texas. Last year I bought this janky ass talon with no AC when I was in a bind and that shit sucked so bad.

But another myth I like to throw out as truth is that you waste more gas starting your car than you do by letting it idle for 30 minutes.

http://geology.utah.gov/sep/energy_efficiency/gasoline/mileage_tips.htm

Should you avoid using air conditioning at low speeds? In general, if you can be comfortable with the windows down and the air conditioner off you can save gasoline, but only if your speed is below about 40 miles per hour. Over 40 mph, open windows disturb too much of your air flow and the air conditioner is preferable. Best of all is to keep both the A/C off AND the windows closed.

http://news.carjunky.com/air-conditioning-versus-open-windows-abc477.shtml

Due to the high price of gasoline in recent history, the media is over run with tips and hints to minimize the cost at the pumps. Some are legitimate and will actually prove to be beneficial; others are a load of, well let’s say, used motor oil. One of most common tips to come under fire is the debate on whether or not it is fuel efficient to drive using the air conditioning or if leaving the windows open is more useful. Here’s a look at the pros and cons of both options.

On the side of air conditioning causing the car to use an unnecessary amount of fuel, this fact is true. Sort of. The truth is using the car’s air conditioning does burn more gas, especially when driving in town. In this driving situation fuel consumption goes up by roughly 10%. A good rule of thumb to follow is when the car is moving at a rate of 40 mph or slower, driving with the windows down is definitely the better option for fuel efficiency. That means that for trips to the grocery store, post offices, and visiting ma and pa, drive with the windows down.

On the other side of the debate, we have the air conditioning saves on gas due to eliminating air drag on the car from the open windows. Once again, this theory is correct as well, in certain conditions. When driving on the highway or at speeds greater than 45 mph, open windows increase air drag on the car to a point where fuel efficiency is lost by up to 10%. In cases where the vehicle is running at speeds closer to 55 mph, gas inefficiency reaches the 20% mark. Very simply put, both sides of the debate are correct depending on the kind of driving in question. When town driving, leave the windows open, when highway or higher speeds driving, the AC is definitely the way to go.

Now that you know the whole truth of the matter, there are some other alternatives to improving airflow, and gas mileage, through some useful tips. Use the car’s fan on the highest setting to quickly cool the car down. The setting can always be adjusted for comfort later and using the fan has no direct effect on fuel consumption. Another helpful tip is park in a garage or shade when possible. Failing that, use windshield shades as a preventative measure to keep the car cooler. Also open the car windows and vents to fully open. This step will blow the hot air out of the car faster before cranking the air conditioning up full blast. Obviously this is a good step to helping the vehicle’s fuel efficiency. Finally, take advantage of the cooling system’s recycle inside air feature. That way the air already cooled in the car is reused as opposed to drawing hot air from the outside.

Overall, the speed that the car is traveling is the major component to the AC versus open windows debate. Knowing when the air conditioner is beneficial to gas mileage is extremely useful in making the most of your car’s fuel efficiency.

i heard the thing about how driving with your AC at high speeds is more effecient than driving w/out it (windows down). it creates too much drag when the windows are opened. i thought it was bullshit tho. i always seem to use less gas when the AC off whether im going fast or slow.

i heard the thing about how driving with your AC at high speeds is more effecient than driving w/out it (windows down). it creates too much drag when the windows are opened. i thought it was bullshit tho. i always seem to use less gas when the AC off whether im going fast or slow.

this is exactly what ive heard...

ac uses gas....but if your doing like 80 on the freeway with both windows down....the drag causes you to use more gas.

therefore.....

slow speeds = open your windows

fast speeds = use your ac

works out perfectly if you have a stereo system too...windows down on side streets, but up on the highway.

The AC compressor uses a belt on its pulley that then goes around a place for it on the engine crank pulley. The compressor pulley is driven by the engine crank pulley. The compressor does take some power away from the crank to run. This is also how a supercharger works, effectively, the AC compressor does rob some power, but not that much power from the crank. The AC compressor has a clutch inside of it, which allows the pulley to freewheel when the AC is not on, and it is not engaged. In 4 cyl. and some 6 cyl. vehicles, the AC compressor has its ground taken away by the vehicle's ECU which shuts the compressor off under wide open throttle, so you have all the engine power available. On V8 cars it isnt necessary to do that since there is more torque available at all times.

Re: Cat Myth: The one thats been on my mind lately

a friend told me once that using yer a/c causes less gas to burn than rolling down yer windows... he said that the wind resistance from having yer windows down causes more gas to burn.

my friend also robbed hookers.

and killed one of his girlfriends by giving her heroin in the bathtub.

bloop bloop bloop.

true stories.

the alternator charges the barttery.

Unfortunately, no it does not charge up your battery. All it does is keeps your levels up (DC).

My major is Automotive Technology. Depending what battery you have, the battery cells have to have their cells charged up to keep their "capacity". To do that, you have to actually penetrate the cells with a charger or with another car. However, you can by-pass the alternator with another wire to charge the battery Yes.

And about the gas thing, Yes It does waste more gas. Depending on the car as well, the ac consists of a AC Clutch. The belt runs it when ever you turn on the AC and while you have it off, it just runs freely.

So, when you have it on, the Belt has to rotate another component, therefore needing more power (gas).

Praice ME!

from wikipedia:

Automotive alternators

Alternators are used in automobiles to charge the battery and to power a car's electric system when its engine is running. Alternators have the great advantage over direct-current generators of not using a commutator, which makes them simpler, lighter, less costly, and more rugged than a DC generator. The stronger construction of automotive alternators allows them to use a smaller pulley so as to turn twice as fast as the engine, improving output when the engine is idling. The availability of low-cost solid-state diodes from about 1960 allowed auto manufacturers to substitute alternators for DC generators. Automotive alternators use a set of rectifiers (diode bridge) to convert AC to DC. To provide direct current with low ripple, automotive alternators have a three-phase winding.

----

at my shop we test car batteries, and part of the test is making sure the vehicle's alternator is working well. because if not - the battery wont get charged while the car is running. hope you took summer school.