MYTHBUSTER: Can a bullet be fired or explode without a firing pin?

MOE-LESTER

i had some extra bullets from a recent foray at the range, and gave one of them to my little cousin as a souvenier. He asked me a question i could not answer, and could not find answers for.

He seems to think that a bullet can explode or be fired if the small firing cap on the back is punctured or broken. He was joking that if he stabbed the small cap on the back with a knife that it would explode and fire. Or if you dropped a bullet off a very tall building, it would explode on impact.

So i want to know this, if anyone here is a hardcore gun slinger or knows whats up, please let me know. Links to websites or shit like that are appreciated.

the bullets i have are FMJ .40 SW shells

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
back when i was like 14 we used to all do this around our block, we would tape rocks on the back of the bullet and then ride down the street on our bikes and drop them on the road rock side facing down. yes this does work, very risky, but back in the day we had alot of fun with that shit.

this sounds like the most dangerous thing on the entire planet.